Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    1bhanna Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 13, 2008, 09:36 AM
    Our view of the moon
    I am curious as to why, as the moon goes through the different phases, do we see the visible part sometimes be crescent shaped, then as we get to the time that we 'see' only half the moon, it is no longer crescent shaped, but appears to be virtually bisected or straight across. I always thought that the earth was casting a shadow, which created the crescent that we see or said another way, the earth was blocking the light from the sun that was hitting the moon, which caused the crescent shape that we 'see'. If this is true, why is the visible part of the moon, as we approach being able to see half of it, no longer crescent shaped?
    PolluxCastor Posts: 117, Reputation: 5

Jan 13, 2008, 05:15 PM
    The Earth is only casting a shadow on the moon during a lunar eclipse, this only happens when the moon is full.

The phases of the moon are an effect of what portion of the moon facing us is lit by the sun. Take a ball (a globe will work great), turn on 1 light, hold the ball at arms length. Rotate so the ball is "orbiting" around your head and watch the phase change. You might even see an "eclipse" where your head is blocking the light from reaching the ball.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Did we go to the Moon? [ 9 Answers ]

I have this debate a lot. I really hope we did go to the moon but I don't know. What do you think?

Second on the moon? [ 8 Answers ]

Which country do you people think will put a man on the moon next? Russia China India European Space Agency Iraq

Size of the moon [ 2 Answers ]

Why does the moon appear bigger sometimes?:rolleyes:

Who is visited the moon ? [ 2 Answers ]

Who is the first person visited the moon ? Can any person again visit the moon ?

Moon phases [ 2 Answers ]

I always thought the different 'phases' of the moon was caused by the earth's shadow on it. This made sense when looking at the 1st quarter, but as the moon 'gets bigger' the visible part is no longer crecent shaped. Where am I going wrong in my thinking? [email protected]

View more questions Search