Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    1bhanna Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 13, 2008, 09:17 AM
    How was coal created?
    I am curious about how coal was created far below the surface of the earth. I have always thought that somehow it was compressed vegetable matter and if that is correct, how did it get covered so deeply?
    Bardonicus Posts: 53, Reputation: 3

Jan 13, 2008, 09:25 AM
    Your right about how it came to be but take into consideration that this process of compression take millions of years and the earth has changed a bit the last million or so years. Remember things like ice ages, floods, earthquakes etc. I think the best factor would be the ice ages that has been dramatically changing our world.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jan 13, 2008, 09:42 AM
    Hello 1:

Bardonicus is right on.

Another factor is that our land masses float around on a liquid just like boats do in the ocean. They bang into each other and fold over on top of each other, and get sucked down underneath each other. They generally cause havoc amongst themselves when they meet. Mountains get created where oceans once were. Deserts happen where there was once swamp.

It just happens pretty slowly. As a matter of fact, the continents move as about as fast as your fingernail grows.

That's how coal gets stuck waaaay down there.

excon

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I've created an airlock, can anyone tell me how to get rid of it [ 4 Answers ]

Help! I changed my bath and sink taps this weekend and so I drained the system and closed all the appropriate valves (or so I thought). Once I finished I reopened the system and taps worked fine. However my power shower now has nothing coming through it... just air. I am told I have created an...

Does anyone know Clayton wood/coal stoves [ 6 Answers ]

The house that I have been in for the past 12 years has a Clayton wood/coal stove in the basement. The tag on the back says; Jones Metal Products, Mankato, Minnesota. Model 7.1V and 5.6V and was tested in 1983. Does anyone know if there is a way to get an operating manual and if you can still...

Natural gas more benign than coal or oil [ 1 Answers ]

It is commonly claimed that Natural gas use is better from a GreenHouse Gas perspective. Since oil, coal and gas all produce carbon dioxide when burnt, where is the scientific justification for this claim. My NET searches have been in vain.

How we desgin a coal based thermal power plant ? [ 3 Answers ]

Dear All, I want to know about the software used for desgining Coal Based Thermal Power Plant. If anybody knows about this type of software tell me. My some important queries are as follows. 1) How do we select the Boiler Auxiliaries? 2) How do we select the Steam Turbine Auxiliaries? 3)...

What Is Created When [ 2 Answers ]

Benzene, TNT, Picric acid, Nitrocellulose + thermal engergy are combined. C6H6 + C6H2CH3(NO2)3 +(NO2)3C6H2OH + C12H16(NO3)4O6 + thermal energy --->?? :confused: :eek:

View more questions Search