Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    doglovershouse Posts: 9, Reputation: 0

Jan 13, 2008, 04:22 AM
    Wiring Safety
    Is is safe to rewire a phone jack with your fingers?
    Cobraguy Posts: 140, Reputation: 11

Jan 13, 2008, 06:25 AM
    I qualify this carefully as I'm sure there are some who will cringe at this answer. But I have wired one heck of a lot of phone jacks with my bare hands. That doesn't mean it's right... it just means its more of a common practice. There isn't enough current on a phone line to ever hurt you.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Jan 13, 2008, 08:18 AM
    You usually won't feel the 48 volts DC, but if someone calls in, it goes to about 90 Volts AC, It will just Make you Jump. Never have know it to hurt or kill any one.
    If you are working with one conductor at a time, and you are not at ground potential, you won't get shocked.
    smearcase Posts: 2,392, Reputation: 316
    Ultra Member

Jan 13, 2008, 10:24 AM
    I was a US Navy electrician. We were required to work everything with the assumption it was hot and could cause injury (including communication circuits). There are studies that say very minimal amperage under the right conditions can kill you espec. If they pass through the heart. Most electricians don't want shocks of any kind at any time. Would you have confidence in an electrician who jumped and dropped his tools every once in a while?
    Our policy was to work it like its hot (insulated tools) except for new circuits that you know are not hot because you are the one who is going to make it hot. I am not a licensed electrician.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Jan 13, 2008, 12:13 PM
    Don't know of any electricians that haven't been shocked. Electricity is silent and invisible.
    It keeps you on your toes.
    I agree to treat everything like it is hot. And stay insulated.
    And if you are wiring to a panel. Make connections furthest away from panel, and work torwards Panel or live connection. Then you only need to work with live connections once.
    The High Voltage Guys have a saying, "Work it Live, or Ground it Cold"
    I have a Leatherman Tool(Keep with me all the time). And when you need to change a receptacle, you remove the ground wire first, then the hot and neutral.
    When you hook up the new receptacle, you need to hook up the hot and Neutral First, than the ground, to keep from getting shocked, from being at ground potential. Insulated shoes are the trick. Don't do that barefooted. You should not do any of it. I have done it so many times it is habbit.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

First Aid and Safety sales [ 1 Answers ]

I am trying to start my own business in selling first aid medical supplies (medical cabnits, bandages, and other first aid supplies) to various companies. What license's do I need?

Internet safety [ 13 Answers ]

An earlier question was posted by another member, but not actually answered. The question was: Can I access the computer of someone I am chatting with on the web? The answers all dealt with how bad (and illegal) it was to to that. So I would like to know if it is possible for someone I am...

Turn not in safety? [ 4 Answers ]

The following is a summary of my accident and charge. If anyone has any advice (other then calling X-Coppers which I have already done) I would appreciate it. Be it insurance rates and companies that re reasonable or be it techincalities. This is my charge: A fine of 110$ and 2 points. ...

Safety training [ 1 Answers ]

I am not sure of the category this should fall into. I am a safety trainer. In December I want to use defensive driving as my topic. I have a plan and several handouts. Does anyone know where I can get a free video or downloadable video that is graphic such as is used in drivers ed?:rolleyes:...

Safety box [ 5 Answers ]

Does anyone knows about safety box? I said safety box in bank can not 100% safe. Someone can steal or rob it. My friend said that is impossible. Who is right ?

View more questions Search