Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dledwards Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 5, 2006, 06:38 PM
    Bankruptcy and cash inheritance
    I filed bancrupty on 9/27/05 and will be receiving a cash inheritance around 1/20/06. Will my bankruptcy trustee be able to find out about this? If so, how will he get that information?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 5, 2006, 08:46 PM
    Money
    First what type of bankruptcy did you file chapter 7 or 13.

If a chapter 7 has it been discharged yet.

How will he know, first you have a legal obligaton to tell him or it can be determined as fraud and the case dismissed and you would have no protection.

Also many of your creditors will be watching your legal proceedings like hawks trying to find any money you may be hiding and not declaring so they can get it.

More information can get a better chance for a better answer

Jan 6, 2006, 05:05 PM
    Bankruptcy and inheritance?
    It is chapter 7 and it should be discharged in January sometime. How can the trustee or creditors find the money if I sign the check over to someone else's account? Is an inheritance public record and is it something that they would check?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 6, 2006, 07:53 PM
    Money
    If the money is coming though probate court, it will be public knowledge.

Also they can come back latter if they find you got the money before the bankruptcy was discharged they can still come back to you to have the case overturned for fraud.

Also you never said when the case would be discharged or what type of case it would be.

Jan 6, 2006, 08:19 PM
    Bankruptcy and inheritance
    I filed chapter 7.

I don't know when it will be discharged, but I think it will be sometime in January. I should be receiving my inheritanace around the same time. I heard that they are able to take any money for up to 6 months
    AFTER your discharge.

My inheritance is NOT going through probate court and taxes have already been taken out, so the money will be tax free.

I am not getting a lot, but it will help me get a new start and help take care of my 2 and 3 year old as I am a single mother working 6 days a week. That's why I really need the money.

Thank you for your help

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cash inheritance [ 4 Answers ]

My two children inherited $30,000 from my fathers estate. I am wanting to know if it is taxable income since I have called the IRS and tax preparers and gotten confilicting information.:confused:

Bankruptcy & insurance settlement, inheritance [ 2 Answers ]

I began the process of filing for bankruptcy - saw a lawyer, did the paperwork, paid him. I'm now in the process of doing the education certificate and other requirements. My car was totaled two weeks ago, and the insurance company will be settling for the total loss -- it's not a huge amount,...

Inheritance [ 1 Answers ]

My husband will be receiving an inheritance from an Aunt who past away. He will be receiving funds from a 401K account which we were told is all taxable and then from the sale of her home. Need some suggestions on how not to lose too much to Uncle Sam. Any help will be appericated.

Debt Settlement and Cash Inheritance [ 6 Answers ]

I am in the process of debt management for a relatively large amount of debt and still have a couple of years to complete the payoff. I am about to receive an inheritance larger than the debt. I can either have cash or real estate. Which would be the smartest to do?

Inheritance tax [ 5 Answers ]

I live in N.H. and my father has just passed away. He has left me part of his estate. He is married and I have one brother. The estate is to be divided as follows. His spouse is to get 50% of all assets and my brother and I are to get 25% each. His total assets are as follows. Approximately...

View more questions Search