Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    joebro Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 12, 2008, 07:47 PM
    Prevoius Drug Use Influence Military Enrollment?
    Hi my name is Joe and I am17 years old. I have recently appliedfor a NROTCscholarhsip and I am still waiting for an answer ( I sent my app in like in october) . Lucky for me I was arrested for transporting weed , and having a pipe in novemeber. Both were not mine but since I was the driver I was charged. Now in the state of Maine any pot charges are considered a civil violation not a misdeminor. For minors like myself who made a mistake they have a program called JumpStart where you take this class to get the charges "removed". This is where my question arises from. I never went to court and since I am in Jumpstart I will not have to go to court. Do I still have a record even though I didn't have to plead guilty or not guilty. I asked my school officer and she said my file has been "pegged" so it won't leave the station so does that mean the fed won't be able to see it or what?

Thanks,
    Joe
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 12, 2008, 07:49 PM
    Well will you have a recond, of sorts, the police will always know, but it should not show up on a background check and if asked you were not ever guilty, sice this was a pre trial program.

Can th feds see it? Yes, they can see the arrest and the program, for a national security background search ( if you were done in adult court) if this was done in Juv court, no it will not show up at all.
    13sldr Posts: 237, Reputation: 17

Jan 22, 2008, 08:20 PM
    I don't remember every thing my mom has told me about charges being dissmissed and what not, but the military will be able to pull up you recored of every thing you have done, they get more access to thing then like walgreens would, so they can see everything you have done, but as far as this question, I don't really know.
    Scottish2008 Posts: 501, Reputation: 32

Jan 23, 2008, 06:46 AM
    Honesty is the best policy. It is entirely up to you. But keep in mind that if you ever get into the military and you get charged with anything. This may come back to haunt you. Keep in mind everyone makes mistakes and owning up to it is the hardest but pays off in the long run. I hope you make the right choice.
    Tony J Posts: 90, Reputation: 4

Jan 25, 2008, 11:09 AM
    It will show up as an arrest or citation but not a concviction. I would tell you to not inform anyone of this as it requires additional paperwork and also you could be removed from any contractual awards that you were promised. I did not tell them that I had a DUI conviction and it never came out. That was in 1999 though so the laws and procedures might have changed since then thanks to the PATRIOT ACT. My best advice is to ask a recruiter, and believe me, they will not tell. The recruiter was the one who told me to not inform the people at MEPS that I had a DUI conviction. Also, if you are going to smoke weed, don't bother joining the armed forces as they do random urinalysis. You will screw yourself in the long run if you cannot abstain from drugs while under contract with the Dept. of Defense. There is a time and a place to experiment with and/or use drugs and it is called "college." This is just my opinion and is in no way legal advice.
    Scottish2008 Posts: 501, Reputation: 32

Mar 14, 2008, 04:23 AM
    Keep in mind. That what you hold back can effect you while serving. Never the less the MP's if they ever arrest you for anything. It could very well show up and cause you more grief in the long run. If you where ever investigated for anything it will also show up on radar. Just a thought.
    bloodshot Posts: 3, Reputation: 0

May 17, 2008, 07:34 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by joebro
    Hi my name is Joe and i am17 years old. I have recently appliedfor a NROTCscholarhsip and i am still waiting for an answer ( i sent my app in like in october) . Lucky for me i was arrested for transporting weed , and haveing a pipe in novemeber. Both were not mine but since i was the driver i was charged. Now in the state of maine any pot charges are considered a civil violation not a misdeminor. For minors like myself who made a mistake they have a program called JumpStart where you take this class to get the charges "removed". This is where my question arises from. I never went to court and since i am in Jumpstart i will not have to go to court. Do i still have a record even though i didn't have to plead guilty or not guilty. i asked my school officer and she said my file has been "pegged" so it won't leave the station so does that mean the fed won't be able to see it or what?

Thanx,
    Joe
    No just tell them you don't do drugs and you never did.
    Fastfun1 Posts: 80, Reputation: 11

May 18, 2008, 06:20 PM
    I also had a recruiter who told me not to reveal certain information, i.e. juvelile charges. Six months into my enlistment, I was charged for fraudulent enlistment and received a entry level discharge. Thankfully, it is neither honorable or dishonorable; it means the military basically did not happen. The sad part is, all I wanted to do was serve my country. That was in 1996. I am now a well educated successful junior executive, but my short lived military career remains a dark and disappointing chapter of my life.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sports under the influence [ 8 Answers ]

Ok, there is a rampant use of drugs in what seems to be in just about every sport. Consider this: Make a whole class of sports where it is a REQUIREMENT to be under the influence of something. Evey athlete gets tested before the event, and if they are sober, they don't play. XenoSapien

Eligibility on FSA enrollment and tax credit [ 3 Answers ]

I am working for a company and having H1-B visa. My wife and son are on dependent visa (H-4). Because of dependent visa, my wife is not eligible to work. My son will start going to preschool from Dec’07. My questions are: 1. Am I eligible for FSA enrollment? As my wife can not work ( because...

Question about enrollment [ 2 Answers ]

I will be getting out of the U.S. Army in a few months.I will be enrolling in an online college to complete my bachelor's degree in criminal justice.There are thousand's of excellent schools available.Each school claims to be the best for my education.What questions should I ask the registrar's...

Government influence [ 0 Answers ]

I need to know if there are any aspects of life that the government doesn't have influence over?

Influence on Government [ 1 Answers ]

Which has the most influence on government--the media, interest groups, or political parties? Why? In what ways? Which should have more influence? Why?

View more questions Search