Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Miss Marple Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 12, 2008, 05:40 PM
    A medium brown haired girl wanting to going lighter
    Hi, in need of some hair colour advice.

I have natural light to medium brown hair (probably a neutral/warm brown), but have been colouring it light blonde with highlights for a few years now. I always feel my base colour is a little yellow/orange (just slightly), so decided to go light brown with some highlights (was thinking along the lines of Jenifer Aniston). My hairdresser used a permanent 5 - golden brown and most of the ends went way too dark with slight green/ash tones, then she put a few highlights around top and front which lightened it slightly.

The colour is not nice so I have been using a mixture of 3 parts lemon juice to 1 part conditioner, which I have to say is helping slightly (I can see a golden brown colour emerging).

I am not sure if I will stick to this colour yet and am waiting to see if I like it when it lightens further (if it does!) So my question is if I do end up with a natural light golden brown which I like, how do I lighten my roots when they show through to match, without it going brassy orange/yellow etc.

Also, if I decide I do not want to stay brown and wish to return to blonde, what is the best way, when my roots need doing, of going from my natural medium brown hair to a light creamy blonde without any brassy tones. Previously I used a one step process 'Feria special silver blonde' which does achieve the required lightness, but not the shade (a little too brassy).

Any information would be appriciated. :) :confused:
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Jan 12, 2008, 09:31 PM
    If you would just wait a little bit you hair will oxidise out and you will see just how your hair color will be. It usually takes about 2 weeks to fully have the color fade from time time you had it done. Also, you don't want to keep bleaching or coloring your hair too often as the hair will get weak and break.

I used to have brown hair that I would bleach blonde. I had to do what they call a double process. First I had to use a prelightener to lighten up my hair (or roots when they needed it) and then I would use an actual blonde color. It depends on what shade of blonde you wish to go but I found that regardless of just how light I went I always had better luck using a neutral base. I don't know if neutral is available in colors other than very light blonde (the shades I use anyway).

I like the L'Oreal products. May I suggest you go to a beauty supply house (you can find them in your yellow pages) locally and ask for some help. This way you can ask them all the questions you want. To go back to blonde wait until your roots need done as you will get a much better and more even hair color in the end.
    PrettyLady Posts: 2,765, Reputation: 332
    -

Jan 13, 2008, 07:55 AM
    In order to go from brown to blonde without the brassy tones, you will need to bleach your hair to a yellow stage and then deposit a blonde toner. This is known as a double process, bleaching and toning. A single process hair color or a high-lift color can make dark hair brassy. If you want a decent shade of blonde, your best bet is to do a double process. To avoid a hair disaster, you should consider getting it professionally done.

Jan 13, 2008, 04:05 PM
    Hi, and thank you twinkiedooter and prettylady for your helpful replies.

I will give it another week or two to see how it fades and if I like it or not. I have blue eyes and do suit quite a light blonde, but I prefer to have a medium to light cool blonde base and then nice white highlights. I think a few years ago I used to use the garnier nutrisse pre lightener and then toner and I am sure it worked quite well, but then I saw the all in one and thought it would be kinder to my hair (as well as easier to use), so have been using that ever since.

If, eventually, I decide to go back to light blonde by using the two phase option would I still need to stick to an ash/beige toner to eliminate the brassy tones?

Thanks again
    PrettyLady Posts: 2,765, Reputation: 332
    -

Jan 13, 2008, 04:19 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Miss Marple

If, eventually, I decide to go back to light blonde by using the two phase option would I still need to stick to an ash/beige toner to eliminate the brassy tones?
    If you want to go light blonde, the stylist will bleach your hair to a pale yellow stage and then apply a light blonde toner to achieve results.

Jan 13, 2008, 04:37 PM
    Thanks Prettylady

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Medium Reddish Brown to Light Brown [ 3 Answers ]

I had been coloring my hair a medium copper brown for about a year. The last time I colored 3 months ago I used medium gold brown. My hair is less red, but still has red undertones. I would like to go to a light golden brown. Is there anyway I can do this without ending up looking like Bozo? Am...

Can I re dye my hair from dark brown to a lighter brown or darker blonde? [ 3 Answers ]

Here is my dilemma, please help!! I wanted to do a hair color change, so I had my hair 2 toned. I told her I wanted to be dark on the bottom and blond on top so she did half the bottom dark brown and mixed sandy blond with another color for the top and it came out very brassy/red did not look...

Blue haired girl [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I just turned my highlights a blue/greyish color. Love the color of everything else but how do I get the grey out... my kids are laughing but I don't think it is too funny:rolleyes: anyway, I noticed a lot of responses regarding getting dark dye out but how do I get my highlights back without...

Dying dark brown to lighter brown [ 3 Answers ]

My granddaughter wants to dye her hair(previously colored about a month and1/2 ago)from dark brown to a light brown/blond. We cannot afford to do it in salon. What can I do to help her myself.

View more questions Search