Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tops Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Jan 5, 2006, 05:15 PM
    Drywall
    My home is about 25 years old. Recently I've noticed that the drywall screws seem to be coming out. There's small bumps in the drywall where the screws are. In one room, the opposite is happening. Instead of bumps, I have small depressions around the screws.

Is this situation serious and what can I do to fix it short of redoing all the drywalls.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jan 5, 2006, 06:11 PM
    I can't think of a problem other than its unsightliness. I guess loose drywall could transmit more noise and be more quick to crack at the joints. Most popping problems are from the nails the screws replaced reducing the problem. For the popped nails, start by screwing the board down like a new job. Then come back and drive the nails on down in with a punch. Smooth everything up with drywall mud and repaint. The deep holes where you sank the nails may take 2 coats. Likely that is the problem where you have the depressions, they skipped the second coat.
    dherman1 Posts: 129, Reputation: 10

Jan 6, 2006, 06:07 AM
    Question for you, are the rooms back to back?

The reason I ask this is if the wall where the nail pops (25 yr old house probably is nailed and not screwed) are showing is in common with the wall where the indents are, then there may be a problem in the wall.

Did this just start happening or did you just notice it?

Have you made any major improvements to the house recently? (new roof, new hvac, remodeled bathroom, etc)

I would like to offer an alternative to what Labman has suggested.

Where the screws/nails are popping up, put in 2 screws, about an inch above and below the pop. Then, remove the offending nail. Once it has worked its way loose, it will more than likely continue to do so. If you don't want to remove the nail, then, take a couple of new, longer ringshank drywall nails and drive them in next to the popping nail so that the heads of the new nails covers the old. This will help hold in the nail.

Labman is right on in covering up the indents. It is better to put on smaller, thinner coats to help them dry faster and to prevent cracking. Just leave the last coat a little higher so that you can sand it smooth.

Try using a drywall sponge to sand things smooth. It helps minimize dust.

Good Luck, Dan
    tops Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Jan 6, 2006, 06:46 PM
    Dan and labman, thanks for the reply. Dan, no the walls are not back to back. Sounds like I just need to do some maintenance on the walls. I've seen the popping for a little while, just haven't tried to do anything about it.
    glavine Posts: 895, Reputation: 87

Jun 8, 2007, 08:13 PM
    Get Some Drywall Mud And Some 1 1/4 Drywall Screws And Go At It. When You Screw The Drywall Back Up Some Of The Screws Or Nails May Push The Drywall Out Some Or Pucker, Take A Hammer And Smack Them Back In Or Take Them Out.
    After This, Use 3 Coats Of Drywall Mud, You Don't Have To Put A lot On Each Time , Take A 3 Or 4" Tapeing Knife And Cover The Hole, Fan The Edges So There's Not Much To Sand Later, Let It Dry And Repeat 2 More Times. Don't Sand Between Coats. Wait Till The Final 3rd Coat, After Its Dry Use A 150 Or 220 Grit Sandpaper.
    You'll Have To Prime This Also, Puttin The Paint Over Top Will Only Show The Drywall Mudd, Coat With 2 Coats Of Primer Make Sure Its Dry, Its Not 2 Coats If It Is Still Wet. After That Paint Away, And Your Good To Go.
    jennn3 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 2, 2012, 10:52 AM
    We are having the same problem, but the nails look rusty
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Mar 2, 2012, 03:22 PM
    Not uncommon. Apparently the moisture in the dry wall mud will cause surface rust on the nail.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Rusting drywall tools [ 2 Answers ]

Any thoughts on preventing rust on drywall knives? I wash the with a hose and dry them with a towel or, when available, let them sun dry. I also rub them with steel wool before use to remove whatever surface rust is visible. But after much use the bluing seems to have eroded away leaving bare...

Alternative to sanding drywall joints? [ 13 Answers ]

I'm gettin' pressured to put up another wall in my basement, and my wife says she saw on diynetwork (TV show) a guy showing that you can mud the seams as you normally would, then let it dry only 1-2 hours then come back with a wet blade and skim them... instead of sanding them: No sanding...

Drywall with no sill plate for support [ 1 Answers ]

I am finishing my basement. It has the superior wall system which includes furring strips every 16 inches vertically, but no sill plate or top plate to support the drywall horizontally. Is this a problem? Specifically, should I try to install some sort of sill plate to provide support for the...

Ceiling drywall repair question [ 3 Answers ]

Hello to all and thank you in advance if you can help me. I am about to try to repair a 2 foot crack in my drywall ceiling. It was caused by someone( OK me) stepping on it from the attic. There is no hole or actual gap but the drywall was displaced slightly(has a bulge and has an incomplete...

Drywall corner technique [ 6 Answers ]

Well, I am progressing with my seemingly endless bathroom remodel and have a few drywll/mudding questions: 1) What are some techniques for neatly mudding and sanding the top ceiling corners where the 2 walls and ceiling meet? I have a corner sponge which is great for the long 2 wall corners but...

View more questions Search