Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    MandaBear0511 Posts: 34, Reputation: 1

Jan 12, 2008, 03:25 PM
    A Couple Questions About Depression
    I have been diagnosed with depression. I hate how I feel! It is so hard to get through the day. There are days that I am depressed evn when I do take my medicine. Is there anyone out there that has some tips as to how to control it. I hate the way I feel as if I cant, and I can't find anything to stop/ take the attention off it. My parents are really nice about it, and try to help, but I needed an outside veiw on the subject.
    Thx,
    MandaBear
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jan 12, 2008, 03:27 PM
    Manda honey, first I need to know what medication you are on and how long you have been taking it.

Jan 12, 2008, 03:30 PM
    Lexapro, what does it matter?

About Three Weeks.
    Expert

Jan 12, 2008, 03:43 PM
    It matters hun because the medications all work differently and take a different amount of time to work. So, I'm looking at it from the medical standpoint.

Lexapro takes about 6 weeks to be completely effective in your system. So, it may take 3 or more weeks before you get the full effects of it and start feeling better completely.

Jan 12, 2008, 03:45 PM
    Thank You! You have no idea how much it help just to here that! I thought I would never get better! Thank you, Thank You, Thank YOU!
    Expert

Jan 12, 2008, 03:46 PM
    Is this the first time you have been on medication?

Jan 12, 2008, 03:48 PM
    Yeah.
    Expert

Jan 12, 2008, 03:52 PM
    Okay, understand that sometimes meds don't work, and it can be hard to get the right medication at the right dosage.

So, sweetie, if, in 3 more weeks, you don't feel any better by then, this might not be the medication for you.

Jan 12, 2008, 04:01 PM
    Oh, okay, that helps, thanks so much! I will tell you how it goes. It somrtimes comes to the point where I just cry and cry for hours on end, and can't get up to do anything! And then there are sometimes I am the happiest person in the world on the OUTSIDE but on the inside the depression is still there! I HATE IT!
    Expert

Jan 12, 2008, 04:10 PM
    Well, sweetie, remember too that you are a hormonal teenager. These things do happen in adolescence. Sometimes a good cry really feels good, doesn't it?

Jan 12, 2008, 04:16 PM
    Yeah! It really does, but I cry soooooooooooooo much, is that normal!!
    Expert

Jan 12, 2008, 04:18 PM
    For 15 years old, it's normal to cry a lot. Also, you haven't given your medication a chance to work yet. Remember it takes a month and a half.

Jan 12, 2008, 04:32 PM
    Okay, thanks!
    toolguyny Posts: 18, Reputation: 3

Jan 13, 2008, 12:00 AM
    I don't know if this is helpful, but I have been struggling with depression for years, on and off the meds, and crying uncontrollably for no reason whatsoever. The meds do/can help, sometimes I wonder if depression could be helped by simple life changes, I have no idea what to suggest there as most often, as I well undertand, when depressed, that's much easier said than done when you can't lift your head off the pillow, or get yourself to function outside of the daily routine that you do regardless, just because its what you do. Others can help if you have someone that you can confide in that might be able to just spend some time with you, do... anything... that might make you feel even just a spark, sometimes the simplest of a reach from another can do wonders and give the brain a possitive boost or a jolt to get your head going in a more possitive direction. Best of luck, depression is no fun and more often than not, others don't seem to understand it.
    peoplechange100606 Posts: 14, Reputation: 1
    -

Jan 13, 2008, 12:03 AM
    Hey... honestly... I think everyone on here would be surprised how much exercise/workingout/physical activity can do for depression. It worked for me!
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jan 13, 2008, 12:20 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by MandaBear0511
    I am depressed evn when i do take my medicine
    Does that mean sometimes you DON'T take your meds?

You do realize, don't you, that the depression won't improve if you play around with your meds and take them only when you feel like it.

Any kind of medication works best when it is consistently and regularly taken as prescribed.

Jan 13, 2008, 08:32 PM
    I take my meds! And I don't fool around, I am serious about getting better! I hate it! And unless you felt the way I do I don't think you can say much, sorry but I am very serious about the fact that I feel the way I do! Ihate it, you have no idea at all! Its like everyday is a day in a living nightmare. It screws up everything! With family, friends, and life in general!
    I haven't spent as much time with my family, and my friends are worried as hell of me, and I don't think I will be able to stand one more person asking what is wrong! I know they are just trying to help, but I just cry more! I cry everday! I can't take it!

Jan 13, 2008, 08:35 PM
    But, please don't get me wrong, I know my meds will work soon, I am finding it easier to give them a chance.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jan 13, 2008, 08:35 PM
    You're taking your meds as prescribed and you still cry? How recently have you seen the doctor who prescribed them?

Give them a chance? Hmmmmmmm...
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jan 13, 2008, 08:39 PM
    My father's side of the family suffers from depression, so I am very familiar with it.

Now, tell me true. Have you been taking your meds--correct dose at the correct time?

Are you supposed to be meeting with a counselor?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

A couple of questions [ 1 Answers ]

What does this term mean? REGIS EXPIRATION/1ST & 2ND and also this 205 - Nolle Prosequi ?

Couple electric questions. [ 2 Answers ]

I'm having my old house rewired. I am having them add 200 amp service from the old 100 amp. Does that mean that I can draw up to 200 amps total at one time? :confused: Also, on a 220v 40 amp breaker, is it 40 amps total or 40 amps per line? :eek:

A couple accounting questions [ 1 Answers ]

I'm taking a beginning level accounting course, and we have an ongoing project as part of the course. The idea is to create a fictional service company, and take it through an accounting cycle. It's rather freeform - the nature of the company, and most of its transactions are at our discretion. One...

New lab owner, couple questions [ 4 Answers ]

I have had my 5.5 month old lab for 2 weeks now. When can I introduce him to water? We went for a hike today and he jumped in the creek but was hesitant to go in. how do I teach him to swim? Also, he is in his crate for approx 8 hours a day when we are at work. Is that too long? We don't have any...

New pup, couple of questions [ 2 Answers ]

I just got a new pup that's about 5 weeks old. At 5 weeks, the mother didn't want to feed the pups anymore so she just forgot about them. I think they are a mix of Chiwawa and something else (they are white with black spots, ears pointed downward). Anyway, after bringing it home, all it did was...

View more questions Search