Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    clarnp49 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 5, 2006, 03:30 PM
    Finding this toilet line
    I have a bathroom with the following showed drain lines in it (attached image), it can be a full bathroom in the basement. My problem is and I hope someone can help me is,

I don't know where the toilet drain goes because I just bought the house, the shower drain shown on the left drains really slow and looks to be filled with rusty pieces. I have removed the shower drain and hope that I can put a sink over the area and drain it to it from a trap in the sink.

I don't know what the other pipes are for but I assume that the one on the right front of the picture is the vent, there is another pipe coming out in the back right corner of the picture that I don't know what it is.

The biggest problem that I have is I have put a 25' electrical snake down the toilet drain and I can't find where it would come out the other side, 25' may not be long enough but the other problem is the main sewage for the house is 2' above this plumbing in the basement concrete floor.

Questions:
    1. How do I find where the toilet will drain and if it goes into a holding tank and needs to be pumped out?
    2. The shower drain, what can I do to make it drain faster or at all?
    Attached Images

skiberger Posts: 562, Reputation: 41

Jan 5, 2006, 03:52 PM
    You can have a plumber or a septic company who have camera snake. They can put it in the drain lines and tell you where they go and also check the condition of the pipes.
    If you are on a septic system, this bathroom may drain as "gray water". That's water/sewage that doesn't drain into the main sewer line but drains to surface or elsewhere. This is somewhat common if the house is older and in a rural area. It's a no-no in most areas, but a lot of people do it.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 5, 2006, 03:58 PM
    You need more help then we can give you. If there isn't a holding tank and grinder pump installed in your basement, and it doesn't look like there is) you're looking at major surgery and quite a bit of expense. You can not connect a trapped sink and drain into the shower unless you pipe direct to the shower. The shower already has a trap under the cement and you may not double trap a fixture. You're going to hafta get someone in to track your drainage and tell you what you have. The thing I don't understand is why would anyone rough in a bathroom group two feet under the sewer line and then leave the stubups open for debris and trash to fill them up.
    Are you on a city sewer or a septic system? Regards Tom

Jan 5, 2006, 04:35 PM
    Public Sewer

I think the shower was going to Gray Water anyway because of the slow draining.
    Would you know where I can find a camera snake that's not from a plumber, just to have one?

Thanks for the help.
    letmetellu Posts: 3,151, Reputation: 317
    Ultra Member

Jan 5, 2006, 08:52 PM
    Camera for sale
    I have a camera for sell it is complete with 100 foot of cable and monitor. Asking price is $2800. It has been used but has been treated terderly because of the cost, it is something a guy does not want to replace very often.

Jan 6, 2006, 06:23 AM
    Thanks for all the insite on this problem, will save me a lot of screwing around, will just fill the toilet trap with concrete and cut and cap the other pipes and finish the floor and tear down the walls.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Air Lock in Water Line to Toilet [ 5 Answers ]

I had to drain water from the house last night to fix a minor leak in a cold water line. Now, one of my toilets will not fill after it is flushed. It appears that there is an air lock in the line. How do I fix this?

How to find a drain line siutable for new toilet? [ 5 Answers ]

I would like to add a half bath to an exterior space which could be enclosed. The new half bath that share a wall with existing wet bar with sink and ice maker drains in that wall. How deep should I dig down before I can find a main drain line under the exterior wall?

Linear equations... finding the value of a straight line [ 4 Answers ]

hi there... can you answer this for me please. or even give a better layman understanding of how to interprete the formula. the equation is y-y1=m(x-x1) ------ (1,2) gradient 3 is m the gradient or is x1 the gradient

Help -- Leaky stem on toilet supply line! [ 7 Answers ]

Hi: My husband and I are DIY newbies. We just attempted to replace a 70 year old leaky toilet in time for 1st holiday fam visit only to incur new problems. For one, the water supply stem is leaking (right around where knob connects to the stem)! Never done this before. To boot, the tank to our...

Finding old friends on-line! [ 1 Answers ]

Could someone help me find a friend of mine that I have not seen in ages. I think I found him in Roanoke, VA, but I am not sure. Is there a way to get phone numbers for free on anybody on-line? Please respond. I really would like to find this friend of mine. Thanks!

View more questions Search