Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Hillman Hydro Jetting Posts: 16, Reputation: 1

Jan 12, 2008, 01:01 AM
    Why is there a tracer line on gas line( wire)
    I have a pool gas line and it has a wire around the 1-1/4 galvanized pipe
    doug238 Posts: 1,560, Reputation: 62
    Ultra Member

Jan 12, 2008, 06:13 AM
    The wire is there for a few reasons. Some gas fitters use a dielectric union and the pipe will not conduct throughout. The wire typically is a few inches above the gas pipe to allow diggers to hit it first and to allow those that locate buried lines to find the line. They find this gas line by connecting their equipment to the wire and tracing the wire so they can paint lines as to where it is. They have a disclaimer to be within 2 feet of actual location.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I use 10/2 wire to extend a 12/2 wire line [ 1 Answers ]

I am moving a electric heater thermostat and need to extend the exhisting wiring. The exhisting wire is 12/2 can I extend with 10/2 wire? Is this safe since I am going from a smaller gu wire to a larger grade wire

UF wire and copper propane line in same conduit [ 1 Answers ]

Is it safe and allowed to run 10/3 UF electric cable and 1/2" copper tubing for propane in the same 2" PVC conduit 18" underground from a house to a garage?

How do I eliminate/rewire my DSL/Fax line to home phone line? [ 1 Answers ]

Line 1 is a Verizon DSL/dedicated fax line in my office. Line 2 is my home phone. It would cost $95 for Verizon to come to my home for approx. 10 minutes or less to rewire the DSL/Fax so I can eliminate the extra (fax) line. Do I rewire through the NI box on the outside of my home? Any phone...

How to rewire and extra line to the main phone line at the demarc [ 1 Answers ]

I cannot afford to pay ATT 99.00 to rewire a non-working phone jack to the demarc. How is this done? The main phone line is working.

Trying to figure out how to wire up a sub pannel off a currnet line [ 3 Answers ]

First post in here.. so forgive my details or term being a little off... here goes... I just purchased a house, and in the "work room" they (previous owner) had hooked up a 220 line with a 8 GA wire (50 amp braker). What I would like to do is take that line and break it into a sub pannel for...

View more questions Search