Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    starbuck8 Posts: 3,128, Reputation: 734
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Jan 11, 2008, 02:19 PM
    Barking Dog going to be taken away!
    My friends boyfriend has an Akita that is disrupting the neighborhood with constant barking. She has a doggie door, and loves to be outside. She doesn't bark when there is someone home, but as soon as they leave, the barking is constant! If she is left inside during the day when they are at work, she eats the couch and other expensive things. She is walked every night for an hr at the very least, so she has her exercise. Animal control has been called many times, and the last time they were issued a fine, and were told if they couldn't control the barking, that the dog would eventually be taken from them.

The animal control officer mentioned something about a collar that sprays citronella in their face if they bark. I've never heard of this, but I don't feel that this is the way to go about solving the problem.

She is a very good dog otherwise. Any advice out there so the problem can be fixed and they aren't forced to give up their sweet dog?
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Jan 11, 2008, 02:39 PM
    Akitas are hard to break of a barking habit. Eating the couch is a no, no also. She can be taught not to bark but not overnight.
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Jan 11, 2008, 02:44 PM
    Unfortunately, chronic barking when no one is around or available to correct it, is a very difficult habit to break. The dog is doing what she views as her job -- she is letting "intruders" (any noise is an "intruder") know that this is her territory and they better not encroach upon it. I hate the citronella collars, but prefer their use over the electric shock collars when you have a situation where hands on training doesn't work or isn't possible. If they cannot put her inside of the house while they are gone all day, and the barking only occurs while no one is home, their options are extremely limited and the citronella collar is the solution that comes to mind. Please understand that there are no guarantees that the collar will work. Here are some links that should help them make a decision:
    Citronella Collars
    Citronella Bark Collar,Bark Collars,Citronella,Premier,ABS

Frankly, I would prefer to see them hire a trainer to train the dog not to destroy the house and to show them how to work with the dog on the barking issue.
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Jan 11, 2008, 03:34 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by RubyPitbull
    Unfortunately, chronic barking when no one is around or available to correct it, is a very difficult habit to break. The dog is doing what she views as her job -- she is letting "intruders" (any noise is an "intruder") know that this is her territory and they better not encroach upon it. I hate the citronella collars, but prefer their use over the electric shock collars when you have a situation where hands on training doesn't work or isn't possible. If they cannot put her inside of the house while they are gone all day, and the barking only occurs while no one is home, their options are extremely limited and the citronella collar is the solution that comes to mind. Please understand that there are no guarantees that the collar will work. Here are some links that should help them make a decision:
    Citronella Collars
    Citronella Bark Collar,Bark Collars,Citronella,Premier,ABS

Frankly, I would prefer to see them hire a trainer to train the dog not to destroy the house and to show them how to work with the dog on the barking issue.

I agree with you that they should tackle the barking problem with training! In the meantime, I guess the citronella might be a good deterent. Thanks for the links. I will pass them on
    jsellers1981 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

May 1, 2008, 11:04 AM
    It sounds to me like she has some separation anxiety issues. They should talk with a professional trainer.
    spinphoto Posts: 125, Reputation: 7

May 25, 2008, 04:07 PM
    Please don't give your dog away, the reason your dog is barking and destroying the house is because it is BORED! Dogs need structure and by letting it go out the doggy door for outside play is not enough! The yard is like a big crate. You need to walk your dog every single day and show strong leadership for the dog to stop with the barking and destroying, when I first adopted my dog he has destroy two of my couches and ate a large hole in my mattress foam! Since I've been working with him, he doesn't even need to go in his crate EVER.. Please read Cesar's Way by Cesar Milan, it is not about obedience, it's about being a good, educated dog owner, it will change every thing!
    It has nothing to do with the breed, that is a myth, if a dog is balance, it doesn't matter the breed!
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

May 25, 2008, 07:29 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by spinphoto
    Please don't give your dog away, the reason your dog is barking and destroying the house is because it is BORED! Dogs need structure and by letting it go out the doggy door for outside play is not enough! The yard is like a big crate. You need to walk your dog every single day and show strong leadership for the dog to stop with the barking and destroying, when I first adopted my dog he has destroy two of my couches and ate a large hole in my mattress foam! Since I've been working with him, he doesn't even need to go in his crate EVER.. Please read Cesar's Way by Cesar Milan, it is not about obedience, it's about being a good, educated dog owner, it will change every thing!
    It has nothing to do with the breed, that is a myth, if a dog is balance, it doesn't matter the breed!
    I am a huge fan of Cesars, and use his techniques with my own dog, all the time. However, when I posted this question almost five months ago, I had asked the question about a friends dog. I researched extensively, and sent her info on how to train her dog. She didn't listen or do any of the training suggested. 3 Weeks ago today, my dog was brutally attacked by her dog, that is one of the top 3 dangerous breeds. My dog survived, but had convulsions, and had to have emerg. Surgery and 86 stitches. She isn't the same dog she used to be. Hopefully with a lot of love and encouragement, she will get over this, and be back to her same old happy self.

Just a word to anyone out there who owns a dog, whether it is in the dangerous breed category or not. Learn about the breed of dog you have. Do the research, do your job as pack leader, and then DO THE TRAINING! My dog thanks you! :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Dog barking to go outside at 3am [ 13 Answers ]

Hello. We have two 5 year old, female weimaraners. Awesome dogs. However, in the last month or so one of them gets up to go outside every night at around 3:00am. She goes outside before we go to bed and pees. When she goes out at 3am she pees and poops. She'll bark outside our bedroom door and then...

Barking Dog [ 2 Answers ]

Paddy and his missus are lying in bed listening to the next door Neighbour's' dog barking. It had been barking for hours and hours. Suddenly Paddy jumps up out of bed and says "I've had enough of this". He goes downstairs. Paddy finally comes back up to bed and his wife says, "The dog...

How to control barking. [ 12 Answers ]

I have three dogs and they love to bark, two are big and the other is medium sized so they make allot of noise. Since we live in the suburbs, there are lottes of other dogs and various noises to set hem off. I am afraid that they are annoying my neighbors. Any one got any advice?

Barking mad [ 4 Answers ]

Hello I have a 2 year old long hair dachshund he is my best friend and we both have been through a lot together especially this year , but he has a barking problem. When I go to work he barks all day and I only know this because my neighbours have complained about him . When he is with me he is...

Barking for 5 hours [ 7 Answers ]

We have a 1 and half year old rat terrier/wolf mix. I know what you're thinking. How in the?? The people we got the dog from certainly didn't plan on this litter of puppies! Anyway, she's bigger than a rat terrier but nowhere close to wolf size. She has really short fur so she gets cold easily. So...

View more questions Search