Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Love-Life Posts: 32, Reputation: 4

Jan 11, 2008, 01:38 PM
    I DON'T believe in Religion
    I, as an idividual do not believe in any religion. Sometimes it angers me when people get offended that I do not believe in God, its my personal choice. I just think that religions start a lot of conflict and don't make any sense. Am I wrong to feel this way?
    EIFS EXPERT Posts: 126, Reputation: 8

Jan 11, 2008, 01:42 PM
    Hey don't take it personal. You are not the only one. What do you dislike most about religion?

Jan 11, 2008, 01:55 PM
    Mainly the control religions attempt to create. Morally righteous people allow religion to effect everything they do. I think people can be good people, and do the right things in life, without believing in a God.

Jan 11, 2008, 02:02 PM
    I think the governments created religion to control the masses but over time people started believing in it. I think it started in Rome.
    I find it fascinating that people pray to the sun and don't know it.
    Do you think that's why church is on Sunday?
    peggyhill Posts: 907, Reputation: 150

Jan 11, 2008, 02:18 PM
    I think that people should be respectful of other's choices. I know a lady who means very well, but she pushes her religion on people so much that it scares them off. I think anything that encourages people to live better lives is a good thing, but to each his own. I'm not anti-religion, but I think that religion has been used to manipulate people a lot and that is really sad. People can take a good thing and turn it all around to suit their agenda, and that is wrong.
    DaBaAd Posts: 271, Reputation: 36

Jan 11, 2008, 02:27 PM
    Interesting how the work "religion" is equated with a necessary believe in a deity. Merriam-Webster's dictionary states that the word religion is "a cause, principle, or system of beliefs held to with ardor and faith"

It could involve aspects from all areas of life such as philosophical, theological, anthropological and sociological.

Therefore you need to define religion for yourself, God or no God.

Jan 11, 2008, 02:31 PM
    Peggy,

I know exactly what you mean, I have a friend who is absolutely sick with religion. Her and her sister. They would go on and on and basically call me or anyone who disagreed with them evil. It's almost like a mental illness.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jan 11, 2008, 02:34 PM
    Don't throw out the baby with the bathwater. There's nothing wrong with religion. The problem lies with the "believers" and how they interpret the doctrines in that religion.

In other words, the people, not the religion, are too often the problem and the reason others get turned off.
    peggyhill Posts: 907, Reputation: 150

Jan 11, 2008, 02:45 PM
    I can relate EIFS EXPERT! The woman I know even started going off on all her relatives when their mom died. She was telling them all how their mom went to heaven and they were all going to hell. She started it up while the family was still at the hospital. It was just so out of line and she went about it totally the wrong way. I could see if she had told them, ' hey, this is what I believe and I want to share it because it makes me feel better', but she went for the whole fire-and-brimstone thing while the family was still in shock.

She called her minister to come to the hospital and when he showed up and realized what she was doing, he told her to back off and be considerate. I was really glad to hear that he tried to get her back in line, even though it didn't really help.

Jan 11, 2008, 02:53 PM
    Peggy,

Yeah I know, I've gotten into debates with fanatics and they always seemed to get really pissed off at one point or another.
    inthebox Posts: 787, Reputation: 179

Jan 14, 2008, 07:32 PM
    I don't believe in religion either.

I believe in Jesus Christ. :)
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 14, 2008, 08:06 PM
    Yes, you are wrong in the fact that you are allowing the actions of some, to stand in the way of your own personal relastonship with God.
    jillianleab Posts: 1,194, Reputation: 279
    Ultra Member

Jan 14, 2008, 08:11 PM
    wondergirl, I had to spread the love, but you are so right. Not being religious myself I can still see where there are good things about religion, good things religious organizations do, etc; but I also see the bad things religion has done, and the bad things people do and use their religion as an excuse.

Love-Life there will always be people who challenge your belief or lack of belief. Don't worry about them, do what is best for you, not them.

Feb 9, 2008, 03:30 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by inthebox
    I don't believe in religion either.

I believe in Jesus Christ. :)
    Isn't the belief in Christ Christianity?
    Which is a religion?

Feb 9, 2008, 03:33 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck
    Yes, you are wrong in the fact that you are allowing the actions of some, to stand in the way of your own personal relastonship with God.
    No no no. I am trying to say that people get angry that I don't believe in God or have a religion. Me not believing in a higher power is my own choice, having nothing to do with other people. Other people's actions don't really influence my non-beleiving.
    letmetellu Posts: 3,151, Reputation: 317
    Ultra Member

Feb 9, 2008, 03:45 PM
    If you don't believe in religion what do you believe in.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Feb 9, 2008, 03:57 PM
    I don't believe in religion either, I believe in my kids, I believe in myself, I believe in the good of other people, I believe that some people are toxic and I should keep clear of them, I believe a good game of hockey makes me feel great, I believe that napping is underrated, etc.
    simoneaugie Posts: 2,490, Reputation: 438
    Ultra Member

Feb 12, 2008, 04:12 AM
    Right you are, everyone. We are all one. Ours is not a better way, just a different way. And, since we are all one, part of a whole, we are God. God is a good nap or your kids or Jesus.

So, can we all quit arguing with ourself now?
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Feb 12, 2008, 04:34 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by simoneaugie
    So, can we all quit arguing with ourself now?
    It'd be a lot easier once the fanatical religious types stop preaching, damning others to hell and telling those who are not like them that they are wrong. :)
    MOWERMAN2468 Posts: 3,214, Reputation: 243
    Ultra Member

Feb 12, 2008, 04:57 AM
    Well that is your own personal choice. One day when you are burning in hell, perhaps you will believe in hell then.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Credit Judgement - I won! But you won't believe this [ 3 Answers ]

Had a Providian credit card in 1999 that I thought was paid off. Long story short, a Collection company "Commonwealth Financial Systems" purchased the debt last year. In June they filed a Judgement and lost. Their lawyers came in with only a Trans union credit report and my lawyer blew them away....

Who do I believe him or friends girlfriend? [ 9 Answers ]

I was seeing this guy but the other day his friends girlfriend told me that he has a girlfriend besides me. I asked him but he said no and ever since then I haven't heard from him. What should I do? Should I believe him or the friends girlfriend? I miss him so so much I can't stop thinking about...

I can't believe it's truly over, Is it just too hard for her now? [ 3 Answers ]

Ok, this is kind of complicated... Me and my girl have been together for 15months!! She chased me in the beginning and asked me out. We're both competitive Dancers competing for different schools, I've ranked quite high in international sections and my girlfriend quite high nationally... We've...

I believe my boyfriend has bipolar condition [ 1 Answers ]

I have been dating my boyfriend for about 4 months and have noticed that he needs help. He goes through phases of being extremely happy and being on high to being the opposite. He told me that his father suffers from manic depression and that it runs in the family however recently he told me for...

I don't believe this! [ 6 Answers ]

A few weeks ago, my wife and I were driving about a 100 miles to visit family. While on the interstate we came to a complete stop due to an accident ahead. As we sat there it became apparent that this was going to take quite some time so we turned around through the medium, went back to the next...

View more questions Search