Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    HistorianChick Posts: 2,556, Reputation: 825
    Ultra Member

Jan 17, 2008, 08:55 AM
    “If you have built castles in the air, your work need not be lost. There is where they should be. Now put foundations under them.”

Henry David Thoreau
    life1973happened Posts: 322, Reputation: 109
    -

Jan 17, 2008, 11:53 AM
    Where you used to be, there is a hole in the world, which I find myself constantly walking around in the daytime, and falling in at night. I miss you like hell. ~Edna St. Vincent Millay

Sometimes I wish I were a little kid again, skinned knees are easier to fix than broken hearts. ~Author Unknown

Giving up doesn't always mean you are weak; sometimes it means that you are strong enough to let go. ~Author Unknown

Have you ever been hurt and the place tries to heal a bit, and you just pull the scar off it over and over again. ~Rosa Parks

Relationships are like glass. Sometimes it's better to leave them broken than try to hurt yourself putting it back together. ~Author Unknown

Let's not forget that the little emotions are the great captains of our lives and we obey them without realizing it. ~Vincent Van Gogh, 1889

One's suffering disappears when one lets oneself go, when one yields - even to sadness. ~Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, Southern Mail, 1929, translated from French by Curtis Cate

When dealing with people, remember you are not dealing with creatures of logic, but creatures of emotion. ~Dale Carnegie

There are an enormous number of managers who have retired on the job. ~Peter Drucker

If I had my life to live over, I would perhaps have more actual troubles but I'd have fewer imaginary ones. ~Don Herold

I've developed a new philosophy... I only dread one day at a time. ~Charlie Brown (Charles Schulz)

The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one. ~Elbert Hubbard, The Note Book, 1927

Some of your hurts you have cured,
    And the sharpest you still have survived,
    But what torments of grief you endured
    From the evil which never arrived.
    ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

Faith can move mountains, but don't be surprised if God hands you a shovel. ~Author Unknown

Once you choose hope, anything's possible. ~Christopher Reeve

The miserable have no other medicine but only hope. ~William Shakespeare

The nice part about being a pessimist is that you are constantly being either proven right or pleasantly surprised. ~George F. Will, The Leveling Wind

If an optimist had his left arm chewed off by an alligator, he might say, in a pleasant and hopeful voice, "Well, this isn't too bad. I don't have my left arm anymore, but at least nobody will ever ask me whether I am right-handed or left-handed," but most of us would say something more along the lines of "Aaaaah! My arm! My arm!" ~Lemony Snicket

Always borrow money from a pessimist, he doesn't expect to be paid back. ~Author Unknown

Oh, my friend, it's not what they take away from you that counts. It's what you do with what you have left. ~Hubert Humphrey

Defeat is not bitter unless you swallow it. ~Joe Clark

If you aren't fired with enthusiasm, you will be fired with enthusiasm. ~Vince Lombardi

True contentment depends not upon what we have; a tub was large enough for Diogenes, but a world was too little for Alexander. ~Charles Caleb Colton

To be wronged is nothing unless you continue to remember it. ~Confucius

Oft expectation fails, and most oft there where most it promises. ~William Shakespeare

When you feel dog tired at night, it may be because you've growled all day long. ~Author Unknown

The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function. One should, for example, be able to see that things are hopeless and yet be determined to make them otherwise. ~F. Scott Fitzgerald

The human spirit is stronger than anything that can happen to it. ~C.C. Scott

Surrounded by people who love life, you love it too; surrounded by people who don't, you don't. ~Mignon McLaughlin, The Second Neurotic's Notebook, 1966

We all live under the same sky, but we don't all have the same horizon. ~Konrad Adenauer

Why not learn to enjoy the little things - like a great book one after the next. ~Author Unknown
    Ultra Member

Jan 17, 2008, 11:56 AM
    Where you used to be, there is a hole in the world, which I find myself constantly walking around in the daytime, and falling in at night. I miss you like hell.

~Edna St. Vincent Millay~

Funny that you should put that one in here - I took this as a banner quote not too long ago...
    -

Jan 17, 2008, 12:00 PM
    I have bruises and scars still on my knees to prove this hole exists. How about you? Did you get out scar free?
    Ultra Member

Jan 17, 2008, 12:31 PM
    I do too, but not on my knees. More on my butt. LOL :)

Life goes on, even when we don't think it will, or can.
    mafiaangel180 Posts: 629, Reputation: 103

Jan 17, 2008, 12:42 PM
    Rainer Maria Rilke quotes:

“Do not assume that she who seeks to comfort you now, lives untroubled among the simple and quiet words that sometimes do you good. Her life may also have much sadness and difficulty, that remains far beyond yours. Were it otherwise, she would never have been able to find these words.”

“I hold this to be the highest task for a bond between two people: that each protects the solitude of the other”

“Once the realization is accepted that even between the closest human beings infinite distances continue, a wonderful living side by side can grow, if they succeed in loving the distance between them which makes it possible for each to see the other whole against the sky.”

“It is good to be solitary, for solitude is difficult; that something is difficult must be a reason the more for us to do it”

"Have patience with everything unresolved in your heart and to try to love the questions themselves as if they were locked rooms or books written in a very foreign language. Don't search for the answers, which could not be given to you now, because you would not be able to live them. And the point is, to live everything. Live the questions now. Perhaps then, someday far in the future, you will gradually, without even noticing it, live your way into the answer."
    Ultra Member

Jan 17, 2008, 12:45 PM
    “Do not assume that she who seeks to comfort you now, lives untroubled among the simple and quiet words that sometimes do you good. Her life may also have much sadness and difficulty, that remains far beyond yours. Were it otherwise, she would never have been able to find these words.”

That, in its simplicity, is the essence of life. Wow. I've taken the opinion that what we go through isn't only for our own personal growth, but also for the benefit and help of others. Thanks for that great quote, mafiaangel
    mafiaangel180 Posts: 629, Reputation: 103

Jan 17, 2008, 12:51 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by HistorianChick

That, in its simplicity, is the essence of life. Wow. I've taken the opinion that what we go through isn't only for our own personal growth, but also for the benefit and help of others. Thanks for that great quote, mafiaangel
    I love quotes too :) Here is another, from the same person, that I forgot to post:

“...perhaps all the dragons of our lives are princesses who are only waiting to see us once beautiful and brave. Perhaps everything terrible is in its deepest being something helpless that wants help from us.”
    Delow84 Posts: 309, Reputation: 45

Jan 17, 2008, 02:57 PM
    "It's only after you've lost everything, that you are free to do anything" - Fight Club
    -

Jan 17, 2008, 03:16 PM
    “Happiness is an imaginary condition, formerly attributed by the living to the dead, now usually attributed by adults to children, and by children to adults.” — Thomas Szasz

YODA: Careful you must be when sensing the future, Anakin. The fear of loss is a path to the dark side.

ANAKIN: I won’t let my visions come true, Master Yoda.

YODA: Rejoice for those around you who transform into the Force. Mourn them, do not. Miss them, do not. Attachment leads to jealousy. The shadow of greed, that is.

ANAKIN: What must I do, Master?

YODA: Train yourself to let go of everything you fear to lose.

I do not understand how anyone can live
    Without one small place of enchantment to turn to.
    - Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings

Me and my books in the same apartment, like a gherkin in its vinegar.
    - Gustave Flaubert

There's no place like home,
    There's no place like home,
    There's no place like home.
    - Frank L. Baum, The Wizard of Oz

Home is where the books are.
    - Richard Burton

People who live in glass houses shouldn't.
    - J. S. Singer

It is easier to pull down than to build up.
    - Latin Proverb
    friend4u178 Posts: 3,349, Reputation: 1584
    Ultra Member

Jan 17, 2008, 03:53 PM
    "Apathy is a curse , but who cares?"
    pyg Posts: 15, Reputation: 2

Jan 18, 2008, 01:34 AM
    "there are two ways of getting home. One is to stay there, the other is to walk round the world until we come back to the same place." - GK Chesterson, The Everlasting Man
    granmaboat Posts: 21, Reputation: 6

Jan 18, 2008, 10:11 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by HistorianChick
    I do too, but not on my knees. More on my butt. LOL :)

Life goes on, even when we don't think it will, or can.

Life goes on, even when you don't want it to.
    Remember the old song that said, "Why do the birds go on singing?"
    -

Jan 18, 2008, 06:02 PM
    "There is sacredness in tears. They are not the mark of weakness, but of power. They speak more eloquently than ten thousand tongues. They are messengers of overwhelming grief... and unspeakable love.” –Washington Irving.
    -

Jan 18, 2008, 06:33 PM
    Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal. ~From a headstone in Ireland

If tears could build a stairway,
    And memories a lane,
    I'd walk right up to Heaven
    And bring you home again.
    ~Author Unknown

Sometimes I wish I were a little kid again, skinned knees are easier to fix than broken hearts. ~Author Unknown

Giving up doesn't always mean you are weak; sometimes it means that you are strong enough to let go. ~Author Unknown

Sometimes, when one person is missing, the whole world seems depopulated. ~Lamartine

They say that time heals all wounds but all it's done so far is give me more time to think about how much I miss you. ~Ezbeth Wilder
    friend4u178 Posts: 3,349, Reputation: 1584
    Ultra Member

Jan 18, 2008, 06:36 PM
    They say marriage is a great institution , but who the hell wants to live in an institution.
    granmaboat Posts: 21, Reputation: 6

Jan 19, 2008, 01:44 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by pyg
    "there are two ways of getting home. One is to stay there, the other is to walk round the world until we come back to the same place." - GK Chesterson, The Everlasting Man
    But Home is where the heart is. My folks called where they were from "back home" and where we lived "home".

Ah, new question: what does it take for you/me to feel "at home"?
    Ultra Member

Jan 19, 2008, 09:35 AM
    Growing up, I moved around a LOT (OH, MI, PA, NY, IL, KY, MD, China, FL, TN) and I have found that home is not a location or a place... its family. It truly is where the heart is. For wood and stone do not a house make, but the hearts and lives of the people inside.

:) In my opinion, that is!
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jan 19, 2008, 10:17 AM
    Hello Chick:

It's more than a quote... But, I've got the time...

I bargained for life with a penny,
    And life would pay no more,
    However, I begged at evening,
    When I counted my scanty store.

For life is a just employer,
    He gives you whatever you ask,
    But once you have set the wages,
    Why you must bear the task.

I worked for a menials hire,
    Only to learn, dismayed,
    That any wage I had asked of life,
    Life would have willingly paid.

Napoleon Hill
    George_1950 Posts: 3,099, Reputation: 236
    Ultra Member

Jan 19, 2008, 10:45 AM
    Haste makes waste

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Has technology influenced our customs and ethics? [ 2 Answers ]

I'm not very clear about whether technology has changed our customs or ethics. If so, please present some examples. Thanks.

Need Quotes [ 2 Answers ]

I'm trying to make some cute christmas gifts by having shirts made from an online site, but I'm stumped on what to put on them. On mine the front will say, Because... And the back will say, I'm the Bride and That's Why I'm looking for one of the mother of the bride (my mom) thought about...

? About quotes [ 8 Answers ]

Hi , I am new to the new construction cleaning business and want to know if anyone can tell me if when the quote for a job by sq footage , is the garage included, or should be included/? Doing a job now and his quote did not add garage which is an extra 800sq ft. this doesn't seem right , that he...

View more questions Search