oneguyinohio Posts: 1,302, Reputation: 196
    Ultra Member

Feb 22, 2008, 08:29 PM
    Girl I dated one time: You must be gay.
    Me: Screw you.
    Girl: You had your chance. You blew it.
    Me: I was lucky!

She then kicked me a half dozen times.

One of my all time personal favorite comebacks.

Another one...
    At a young age, I once asked a girl out on a date.

Girl: No Way! You're a dog!
    Me: That makes us two of a kind. We'd be perfect together!

She tried to kick me too...
    raggablue Posts: 347, Reputation: 22

Feb 22, 2008, 08:30 PM
    Tssk not as good as the above one

Feb 22, 2008, 08:51 PM
    Oh no not yours that's good too
    I took longer to type than you
    ihatewestseneca Posts: 325, Reputation: 67

Feb 23, 2008, 03:31 AM
    I've been reading this thread for awhile, I've yet to contribute so I thought I would... not really a quote, but probably one of my favorite songs.
    "Miss Sunflower" Ryan Adams

If I was a sunset, I'd want to lay on your bed,
    And watch the Hollywood lights flicker as it started to dim.
    If I was a movie, you know I'd feel pretty good.
    I'd watch you dancing all night in the dark where I stood.

I don't think about you
    I don't think about you
    I don't think about you
    You don't think about me.. . Miss Sunflower Blue

She's got the brown eyes, yeah, and they're pretty as hell
    And they'll burn through your shirt if you're holding her still
    She's got a lighter, and a lit cigarette
    And if you're making her smile, that's just as high as you can get

I don't think about you
    I don't think about you
    I don't think about you

I'm still out on Sunset in a taxicab
    I'm still at the movies, and I'm holding your hand
    Still at an overpass view looking out at the lights
    Still on an airplane, and I'm starting to cry
    I don't think about you

If I was the evening, you know I'd send you a breeze
    I'd let it whisper in your ear, kiss you and sing you to sleep
    If I wasn't so screwed up, maybe all the words might have come
    But I think the needing just took everything they wanted was sung

I don't think about you
    I don't think about you
    I don't think about you

Feb 23, 2008, 03:39 AM
    Another... now I'm not a big fan of country music, but John Prine had it right.

"Pretty soon I met a woman
    Pretty soon she done me wrong
    Pretty soon my life got sadder
    Than any country song"
    life1973happened Posts: 322, Reputation: 109
    -

Feb 23, 2008, 07:33 AM
    I also love this thread... Obviously! But I might be in deep trouble posting those lyrics as it seems to have started a little wave. Sorry HC, I didn't mean to...

I think songs and therefore lyrics, in this day and age, influence our lives more than beautiful quotes sometimes. I could be wrong but I find myself exchanging songs and lyrics with my girlfriend, as a way to express how she, or I, might be feeling that day. It's kind of like exchanging Hallmark cards. It puts a smile on your face knowing, somebody out there knows how you feel. They just have the ability to write and a team that can take those words and put them to a tune.

Isn't that what we all do on here? I mean some of us have a rare ability to write (HC) Some of us have an ability to be an expert (J_9) and the rest of us soak it all in. I love music, all kinds, any time of the day. I can also appreciate a good quote, from some of history's greatest, as I am a history geek and can't get enough. However, a well-written song helps to express, to me alone, the mood I am in, on any given day.

I work so much better when I have music on in the background. But not just any music. Depending on my mood, I have a genre that fits. If I'm trying to solve a big problem, or write a complex speech, in which I need to concentrate, I listen to Sandi Patty or another Christian artist. If I'm feeling flirty, a little Frank Sinatra is perfect. If I'm feeling punchy or sarcastic, numerous top 40 artist are just what the doctor ordered. If I'm just 'there' I like the classics (you heard me, CLASSICS) Barry Manilow, Carpenters, or Anne Murray is perfect! Absolutely Perfect! My 70's and 80's favorites fall somewhere in between all of those moods.

Anybody else?
    HistorianChick Posts: 2,556, Reputation: 825
    Ultra Member

Feb 23, 2008, 11:20 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ihatewestseneca
    I've been reading this thread for awhile, ive yet to contribute so i thought i would... not really a quote, but probably one of my favorite songs.
    I'm so glad you finally made it in the thread... your wonderful addition will be forever recorded as one of the Quotes that have influenced our lives!

For the record:
    Songs, quotes, anticdotes, stories, parables, wise sayings, dreams, and any of the like are welcomed on this amazing and inspiring thread!

If its helped, influenced, changed, inspired, or just plain made you laugh, it is welcome here!

A big thank you needs to be exteded to all of you - you've helped me through "hell" and I'm keeping on moving... So, thanks to all of you for the inspiration and aid. You've made a difference!

:)
    -

Feb 23, 2008, 11:55 AM
    I feel as though I've just been scolded..

Wink.. wink...
    -

Feb 23, 2008, 12:37 PM
    The stories we hear about how the West was won are all lies. The history of the West was written by the horse. Wherever a settler left his footprint there was a hoof print beside it. Men came further and further west to stake their claim on the great American wilderness. But they encountered a strength that couldn't be tamed - wild horses. Mustangs. The settlers called them parasites that would strip the land and starve their own herds. They couldn't domesticate them so they destroyed them. Isolated and hungry, they were on their way to disappearing from the face of the earth. Sometimes when the light disappears an afterimage remains - just for a second. Mustangs are an afterimage of the West, no better then ghosts, hardly there at all. No one really wants them, not ranchers, not city people - that's their destiny. Let them disappear once and for all, along with all the other misfits, loners, and relics of a wilderness no one cares about anymore. Lucky for us a few mustangs survived, hidden away in the mountains. We need to protect them, for they are the hope of some kind of living memory of what the promise of America used to be - and could be again. I believe there is a force in this world that lives beneath the surface, something primitive and wild that awakens when you need an extra push just to survive, like wildflowers that bloom after fire turns the forest black. Most people are afraid of it, and keep it buried deep inside themselves. But there will always be a few people who have the courage to love what is untamed inside us. One of those men is my father. There was once a time when Americans came West to discover their destiny. Today they seem to move around every which way, restless and unsettled. But I think they're still looking for the same thing - a place where they can be optimistic about the future, a place that helps them to be who they really want to be, where they can feel that this life makes sense, a place where they can feel what I feel when I'm riding Flicka - because when we're riding, all I feel... is free.

~ Flicka (2006)

Feb 23, 2008, 01:52 PM
    Well I got another one, this was soon after my break-up, and I was hanging out with a really really good friend of mine, his name is Jon, and the dialogue went something like this:

J: Hey man, turn that frown upside-down, I got our whole night planned out!
    Me: Oh yeah?
    J: Yeah! Now take a swig of Black Velvet, because we got killing to do and we ain't stopping till we've killed fity men!
    Me: Uhhh..
    J: (hands me an Xbox controller)

That's right... a doritos stained night of sweet Halo action.
    Ultra Member

Feb 25, 2008, 06:37 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by life1973happened
    I feel as though I've just been scolded..

Wink..wink...
    LOL! Nooooo... not scolded in the least. Encouraged to post more of what has influenced your life, whatever medium it is! :)
    -

Feb 25, 2008, 06:56 AM
    Imagine we are all the same. Imagine we agree about politics, religion and morality. Imagine we like the same types of music, art, food and coffee. Imagine we all look alike. Sound boring? Differences need not divide us. Embrace diversity. Dignity is everyone's human right.

~ Bill Brummel (documentary filmaker)
    jennyrena Posts: 37, Reputation: 7

Feb 25, 2008, 07:21 AM
    Beloved let us love one another, for love is of God and everyone that loveth is born of God and knoweth God. He that loveth not knoweth not God for God is love. The Bible

~live, laugh love~

''life is like a piano, what you get out of it depends on how you play it''

''patience is a virtue you admire in the driver behind you and scorn in the one ahead''

''life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what your going to get''

La Bela vita~~~~ the good life
    Ultra Member

Feb 25, 2008, 08:03 AM
    Smooth seas do not make skillful sailors. ~African Proverb

Optimism is the foundation of courage. ~Nicholas Murray Butler

Optimists are nostalgic about the future. ~Chicago Tribune

If you want to be happy, be. ~Leo Tolstoy

Happiness is a form of courage. ~Holbrook Jackson

I wonder....
    Is it possible to bubble over with happiness and contentment, while still wrestling with the pangs of loneliness and heartache? Is it possible to be completely secure and desperately lost? Is it too far out of the realm of reason to wish upon oneself joy and sorrow? Is it necessary to understand the mysteries of the heart and believe in the possibility of redemption? I think not. For within my heart is joy and sorrow, happiness and irrevocable despair, contentment and desire. Within my soul is peace and contentment, but living in my heart is pain and loss. Did I simply define humanity? Is balance the great secret? If so, let balance reign in my heart, let it live in my soul, let it influence my emotions, let it rule my mind. For to be balanced is to be alive. I choose to be alive.
    ~ A HistorianChick original ~

And thus is the true state of my "being."
    -

Feb 25, 2008, 08:19 AM
    A woman should not be judged for needing reassurance, just as a man should not be judged for needing to withdraw.

~ Quote from the book Men Are from Mars, Women Are from Venus.

Cheesy as this book was there are some good points. I think the one above is a good example of that.
    mafiaangel180 Posts: 629, Reputation: 103

Feb 25, 2008, 09:27 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by HistorianChick
    I wonder....
    Is it possible to bubble over with happiness and contentment, while still wrestling with the pangs of loneliness and heartache? Is it possible to be completely secure and desperately lost? Is it too far out of the realm of reason to wish upon oneself joy and sorrow? Is it necessary to understand the mysteries of the heart and believe in the possibility of redemption? I think not. For within my heart is joy and sorrow, happiness and irrevocable despair, contentment and desire. Within my soul is peace and contentment, but living in my heart is pain and loss. Did I simply define humanity? Is balance the great secret? If so, let balance reign in my heart, let it live in my soul, let it influence my emotions, let it rule my mind. For to be balanced is to be alive. I choose to be alive.
    ~ A HistorianChick original ~

And thus is the true state of my "being."
    Wow, I'm right there with you, sister! I really love that HC original!
    -

Feb 25, 2008, 09:40 AM
    "If I ever woke up with a dead hooker in my hotel room, Matt would be the first person I'd call."

~ Ben Affleck
    -

Feb 25, 2008, 10:12 AM
    To a wonderful friend of mine (you know who you are) these are for you....

"Sometimes in life, you find a special friend. Someone who changes your life just by being a part of it. Someone who makes you laugh until you can't stop. Someone who makes you believe that there really is good in the world. Someone who convinces you that there really is an unlocked door just waiting for you to open it. This is forever friendship. When you're down and the world seems dark and empty, your forever friend lifts you up in spirit and makes that dark and empty world suddenly seem bright and full. Your forever friend gets you through the hard times, the sad times and the confused times. If you turn and walk away, your forever friend follows. If you lose your way, your forever friend guides you and cheers you on. Your forever friend holds your hand and tells you that everything is going to be okay. And if you find such a friend, you feel happy and complete because you need not worry. You have a forever friend, and forever has no end."
    ~ Unknown

"A friend is a person who know what you are saying, even if you're not talking."
    ~ Sarah Bennett

"I believe that friends are quiet angels who sit on our shoulders and lift our wings when we forget how to fly."
    ~ Unknown

"Some friends come and go like a season. Others are arranged in our lives for good reason."
    ~ Sharita Gadison

"When it hurts to look back, and you're scared to look ahead, you can look beside you, and your best friend will be there."
    ~ Unknown

Feb 25, 2008, 01:26 PM
    if I ever see an amputee being hanged, I would start shouting out random letters.
    firmbeliever Posts: 2,919, Reputation: 463
    Ultra Member

Feb 25, 2008, 02:51 PM
    Although these quotes have not changed my life in anyway,I find them special.:)

"A friend cannot be considered a friend until he is tested in three occasions: in time of need, behind your back, and after your death."
    - Ali ibn abi Talib (radiAllah anhu)

"If you are aware of your humility, then you are arrogant."
    - Ibn Ata'illah

"If it is not truthful and not helpful, don't say it. If it is truthful and not helpful, don't say it. If it is not truthful and helpful, don't say it. If it is truthful and helpful, wait for the right time."

"The chains of habit are too weak to be felt until they are too strong to be broken."

"Oh what a tangled web we weave,when first we practice to deceive"-Sir Walter Scott

"The truth is rarely pure and never simple"-Oscar Wilde

"Starting a novel is like opening a door on a misty landscape;you can see very little,but you can smell the earth and feel the wind blowing from the first pages"-Iris Murdoch

"I go to nature to be soothed & healed,and to have my senses put in tune once more"-John Burroughe

"All are stricken and you are safe?
    All got it wrong and you got it right?
    All are blameworthy, and you have excuses?"

"Put aside your pride,
    Set down your arrogance,
    And remember your grave."
    - Ali ibn Abu Talib (radiAllahu anhu)

A pirate was captured and brought before Alexander the Great.
    Alexander asked the pirate:
    'How dare you molest the people?'
    The pirate replied: 'And how dare you molest the entire world? I am called a thief because I do it with a little ship only. You do it with a great navy and you are called an Emperor!'

"Education is our passport to the future,
    for tomorrow belongs to the people who prepare for it today"
    - El-Malik el-Shabbaz (Malcolm X)

"I looked at all friends, and did not find a better friend than safeguarding the tongue. I thought about all dresses, but did not find a better dress than piety. I thought about all types of wealth, but did not find a better wealth than contentment in little. I thought of all types of good deeds, but did not find a better deed than offering good advice. I looked at all types of sustenance, but did not find a better sustenance than patience. "
    - Umar (radiAllahu anhu)

"If something is meant to go elsewhere,
    it will never come your way,
    but if it is yours by destiny,
    from you it cannot flee."

I have a lot more... but these should do for now:)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Has technology influenced our customs and ethics? [ 2 Answers ]

I'm not very clear about whether technology has changed our customs or ethics. If so, please present some examples. Thanks.

Need Quotes [ 2 Answers ]

I'm trying to make some cute christmas gifts by having shirts made from an online site, but I'm stumped on what to put on them. On mine the front will say, Because... And the back will say, I'm the Bride and That's Why I'm looking for one of the mother of the bride (my mom) thought about...

? About quotes [ 8 Answers ]

Hi , I am new to the new construction cleaning business and want to know if anyone can tell me if when the quote for a job by sq footage , is the garage included, or should be included/? Doing a job now and his quote did not add garage which is an extra 800sq ft. this doesn't seem right , that he...

View more questions Search