Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tplumb Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 11, 2008, 09:12 AM
    What kind of flex gas line to use on cooking appliance
    I am referring to an application at a high school snack bar , moveable (for cleaning only),
    The line existing is metal flex w/yellow plastic coating.
    Is there a code , or industry standard , that would require this spific type of gas flex line?

Thanks, Tim
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jan 11, 2008, 09:55 AM
    You are talking about corrugated stainless steel tubing (CSST). There aren't many other flexible options to consider that will meet code. Try googling CSST and read for yourself.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jan 11, 2008, 07:41 PM
    Hi there... I believe the "metal flex w/yellow plastic coating" is accepted residentially, but I do not think it is approved for commercial application. This definitely sounds like a commercial application. In this case, I believe that you need a commercial grade flexible gas connector... and IF your "application" has wheels, then YOU MUST anchor the application... NOT TO EXCEED THE LENGTH OF THE FLEXIBLE GAS CONNECTOR with a QUICK DISCONNECT TYPE SHUTOFF!!!... SO as ballengerb1's said... google csst and see what is recommended. Further, I would also recommend that you simply contact your local plumbing inspector and ask him... HE knows what is best especially when it comes to the safety of anything to do with an entire high school of kids/people... huh... *smile*... HEY! Good luck bud!!

If my answer was helpful please press the RATE MY ANSWER button below... Thank you!
    mocca40 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Plumbing
    mocca40 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

I think is plumbing
    iamgrowler Posts: 1,421, Reputation: 110
    Ultra Member

Jan 11, 2008, 10:30 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tplumb
    I am refering to an application at a high school snack bar , moveable (for cleaning only),
    the line existing is metal flex w/yellow plastic coating.
    Is there a code , or industry standard , that would require this spific type of gas flex line?

thanks, Tim
    This sounds like an epoxy coated stainless steel supply line, which isn't really rated for wheeled gas fired appliances.

If the appliance itself is wheeled or installed on a wheeled table then you need an approved (by your local authority) quick disconnect supply (installed after the gas cock) and appropriately sized tie-back.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Straps For Flex Conduit [ 2 Answers ]

I'm trying to find out about how to properly strap aluminum flex conduit. In my new addition I choose to use aluminum flex throughout and I wanted to know the proper way to securley fasten the conduit to the studs. I started a small portion of the conduit and for this I'm using 1/2" flex. Well I...

Attaching Flex Natural Gas line. [ 2 Answers ]

I am attaching a new fex gas line to a new cook top. The new line comes with flare fittings that screw into the flex hose fitting. Should I use any sealant on the threads of the flare fitting. Thanks.

Hanging flex ducts [ 1 Answers ]

I am adding 2 rooms to my home. I have a forced air AC/Gas Furnace system that uses flexible ducts. They are lying on top of my joists and insulation. I read somewhere that they should be hung up. Should I do my 2 new rooms hung up? Why?

View more questions Search