Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    goatlady Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 11, 2008, 08:43 AM
    Lice/Mites in Guinea Pigs
    I know that Ivermectin can be used topically on guinea pigs for lice & mites. Is, I have Ivermectin 1% for Cattle/Swine (I use it on goats). Is this also safe for guinea pigs, topically behind ears and on rump? Thanks for your help!
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Jan 11, 2008, 02:18 PM
    goatlady, the Ivermectin that you have is the same one that is used in the treatment for all animals. I have used it on dogs and cats. I know that it is cleared for guinea pigs but the problem is dosage amount. It is so easy to give a gp an overdose. Simply applying it topically, still allows it to get into the blood stream through both the skin and by your gp cleaning himself. I don't feel comfortable telling you that a certain dosage is correct without your vet's input. Therefore, I would strongly advise you to call your vet and bring your little one in for an examination and discuss course of treatment. If you are living in an area where it is difficult to get to a vet, here is a website dedicated to guinea pigs. They do discuss ivermectin and it's uses, I am including that page as well, but they also advise speaking to a vet first, as I have done here. I cannot in good conscience, tell you that you should follow their dosage advice. I am including these links to aid you in your search for information.
    Guinea Lynx :: Parasites
    Guinea Lynx :: Ivermectin

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Guinea Pigs and Mites [ 6 Answers ]

I have five guinea pigs and there is a possibility that they all have mites. I have taken one to the vet in the past for mites, back when I only had one, and they treated with Ivermectin. I want to know if there are any other things that I can do at home. I know you can purchase Revolution online,...

1 of my guinea pigs died. [ 4 Answers ]

I had two guinea pigs. One male one female. Both 3 years old. The male died today and we are considering getting another pig to keep the female company. Is this a good idea? Please help!! :(

Do rabbits EAT guinea pigs? [ 6 Answers ]

Do rabbits EAT guinea pigs? Because I HAD a rabbit and a guinea pig But one morning the guinea pig suddenly disappeared I was very worried and thought it just ran away SOMEHOW>>. It was in a proper cage Anyway then next the rabbit ran away And I'm not sure if they're still even alive But...

Guinea Pigs [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I am 9 yrs old and today my piggie (Lucy) had babies. We moved her out of the cage with the other girl piggie (haha) when I noticed that Lucy looked like a pear. I was going to have my mom take her to the vet today but when we woke up we called her (the vet) to bring her in. It was at...

Revolution topical medication for guinea pigs? [ 1 Answers ]

We have three guinea pigs. The older one is very sick and is being treated by the vet for Sarcoptic Mange (mites) and a kidney disease. The younger two show no signs of the mites and seem perfectly healthy. Obviously, they must be treated but, frankly, the shots from the vet are too expensive. ...

View more questions Search