Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Gerrye Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 11, 2008, 08:43 AM
    Need for small light weight electrical boxes
    Hi. For a friends band I have been asked to wiring a portable lighting panel to display the bands name. This will be done using a sheet of plywood and mounting a series of small ceiling light fixtures on one side of the plywood, and running the electrical wiring on the back side of the plywood. Nothing special about the light fixtures, just regular small fixtures that would normally be mounted to an electrical box on the ceiling. I was thinking I would mount the light fixtures by screwing them into the plywood, then running the wire through a hole into an electrical box fastened on the backside of the plywood. In the electrical box I would make the connection necessary to feed power from one fixture to the next. Obviously the boxes and wiring are exposed. My question is - for the electrical wiring I am looking for small, thin boxes so that the panel is very portable and light weight. Do you have any suggestions as to the type of box I should be looking for? And what type of wire would be best suited for this application. I would rather not use sheathed cable due to its weight.
    Thanks.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Jan 11, 2008, 08:51 AM
    How about LED's. Lightweight, cooler, kooler.
    Draw the name on plywood or lighter material, drill holes where you want the led's, Insert into the holes, and wire from led to led, in parallel. Then it could be battery powered.
    Or use christmas lights with the controller for different effects?
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Jan 11, 2008, 01:39 PM
    LEDs would be a lot more work.

There are very very shallow metal and plastic boxes that should work for you. Just look at Menards/Lowes until you see what you are looking for.

There are also some sockets designed to mount directly to wood.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Electrical boxes [ 1 Answers ]

How can I jump my electrical boxes? I just recently bought an apartment building and I would like to make it one whole house and I would like to run the downstairs apartment to upper.. there are to separate boxes that run each apartment side by side.. I was told I could "jump" one box from the...

Wants a small weight loss but no dieting [ 5 Answers ]

Hello, I weigh approximately 130 pounds ( no less but maybe a little more) now I don't see myself as overweight or big, I am 5'5.5" and I am twenty years old. I've been trying to loose a few pounds because I have belly fat that just won't seem to go away. I am quite a slim girl and this fatty...

Electrical boxes [ 2 Answers ]

I think I have an unique problem. I have a 4"x4"x6' space which is all wall board above a pass through. I have 3 small wall sconces I want to mount above the pass through. The problem is the wall board. How do I attach the electrical boxes so I can mount the light fixtures? At this point I have the...

Electrical box too small [ 3 Answers ]

The house is 35 years old. When I tried to install some new specialized switches in the bathroom, there was not enough room in the box for the wiring behind the new (larger) switches. Is there any solution other than cutting the drywall, removing the old box, installing a new larger box, and then...

Small Dog Needs To Gain Weight [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I have a Jack Russell / Chihuahua mix and he is almost a year old (Doodle). The problem is that he won't eat unless I make him eat. Like I feed him from a spoon or I hand feed him. He is really skinny so I try to make him eat. We've had him for about 4 months now, and he came from a person who...

View more questions Search