Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Questionshelp Posts: 153, Reputation: 1
    -

Jan 11, 2008, 06:42 AM
    Wireless router
    How hard is it to add a password to my wireless router? I have a blue coloured router with two antenna and it is made by dlink.
    joshlunsford Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jan 11, 2008, 07:09 AM
    It is pretty easy to change your password for your router. Open up your web browser and in the address field put http://192.168.1.1 then hit enter. Log in to your router and there should be a field to change the password. If 192.168.1.1 does not work try 192.168.0.1.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Jan 11, 2008, 07:15 AM
    Do you mean a password to administer your router's configuration page or a key for your wireless security (encryption of the traffic)?
    -

Jan 11, 2008, 07:16 AM
    Can you please tell me why put this in the address field? It looks like a IP address. And can you please inform me why those two numbers. And where did you come up with those numbers? Trying to to be a bother but I might as well educate myself more on this matter. Thank you
    -

Jan 11, 2008, 07:17 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedKarma
    Do you mean a password to administer your router's configuration page or a key for your wireless security (encryption of the traffic)?
    It so that no one in my area can us my router to give them internet. Was that a help?
    joshlunsford Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jan 11, 2008, 07:26 AM
    You want to change the WEP key on your router. I chose 192.168.1.1 because it is a class c address and all home routers are on the class c addressing scheme. Specifically 192.168.1.1 and 0.1 because they are the most commonly used addresses with home routers. To change the wep key on a dlink router you must access the router via a web browser. You do this by inputting the routers ip address into a web browser. After logging in to the router(default username and password for most dlinks are admin admin) you find a button that says "Enable WEP" then input the wep key you want to use.
    -

Jan 11, 2008, 07:33 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by joshlunsford
    You want to change the WEP key on your router. I chose 192.168.1.1 because it is a class c address and all home routers are on the class c addressing scheme. specifically 192.168.1.1 and 0.1 because they are the most commonly used addresses with home routers. To change the wep key on a dlink router you must access the router via a web browser. You do this by inputting the routers ip address into a web browser. After logging in to the router(default username and password for most dlinks are admin admin) you find a button that says "Enable WEP" then input the wep key you want to use.
    Thank you I will try this and get back to you.
    Uber Member

Jan 11, 2008, 07:34 AM
    You must have a manual that came with router, it's all explained there, usually in a "Quick Setup" page.
    -

Jan 11, 2008, 07:36 AM
    You must have a manual that came with router, it's all explained there, usually in a "Quick Setup" page.
    I did have one but I misplaced it when I moved in to my new house. I wonder can I get a download copy of it online?
    Uber Member

Jan 11, 2008, 07:42 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Questionshelp
    I did have one but I misplaced it when I moved in to my new house. I wonder can I get a download copy of it online?
    You sure can. You'll need to find the model number.
    D-Link TechSupport - Choose Your Country
    -

Jan 11, 2008, 07:44 AM
    You sure can. You'll need to find the model number.
    D-Link TechSupport - Choose Your Country
    I will give it a shot.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wireless Router Security [ 7 Answers ]

I have an unprotected dlink wireless router. Is there an easy way to set up a password that would block access by my neighbors?

Hooking up a Wireless Router [ 3 Answers ]

My wife just bought a HP Laptop. I need instructions on how to hook up the wireless router to my home computer and Cox High Speed Modem. And then set up the Network for the 2.

Best wireless router [ 5 Answers ]

Which wireless router is the best to buy, to hook computer on the net to a laptop?

Wireless router [ 1 Answers ]

What are the steps to installing a Netgear WRG614 wireless router if I'm already using Verizon DSL with a Westell 6100 modem?

Wireless router [ 12 Answers ]

I'm having difficulty installing my wireless router Linksys WRT150 N. I can't get beyond the password screen even though it is already encrypted on the screen. Customer help couldn't help me and neither would comcast since it's not their product.

View more questions Search