Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    monicawootton Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 10, 2008, 05:42 PM
    Demi permanent roots fading faster than rest of hair
    Hi guys! I have a question about demi-permanent dye. I have long redish brown hair. I dyed my hair with a demi-permanent (Clairol) dark brown. I love the color, however I am experiencing a slight difficulty. My roots (it has only been about 2 weeks, so I know it is not grow-out) are fading faster than the rest of my hair. I don't know what I should do to it to make it even. I thought about washing the bottom with clairfying shampoo to help fade it, but I thought it would be better to ask first. I don't want to begin dying my hair all the time. I want to keep it as natural as possible. That is why I chose demi-permanent. I also have to keep in mind that my wedding is in the middle of summer, so I don't want to do anything drastic, or cut it too much. Please help! Thanks!
    PrettyLady Posts: 2,765, Reputation: 332
    -

Jan 10, 2008, 06:50 PM
    Demi-Permanent Hair Color is designed to last through 24-28 shampoos, and will eventually fade. Hot water will make hair color fade faster. You should have your roots retouched once the color has faded.
    Love-Life Posts: 32, Reputation: 4

Jan 10, 2008, 08:52 PM
    One thing, you are better off seeing a hairdresser. Expensive? Yes. But they have licenses to do what they do, it's their job, so they can give you what you want! They can keep it natural because every time you have regrowth, they will only redye your roots, so the rest of your hair will not get burnt etc. Even though merely depositing a color to hair like brown actually makes your hair look healthier. Depositing is different then lifting out a color (like what bleach does). Your hair will look natural, but you'd be surprised how nice a hairdresser can make your hair look even if its not a color you're used to. I never wanted to go to the hairdressers because of how much it was, but its worth it! Just consider it please.
    sheppardwe Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 23, 2010, 09:47 PM
    Unfortunately Love-Life, you aren't answering her question. Yes, stylists have better products and know what they are doing, however her issue isn't going to be solved by going to a stylist -regardless of who or what she uses on her hair, it is going to fade at the roots. I had this problem when I was a receptionist at a high end salon and had gone a much darker color than my normal, went from dark blonde to dark brown (4). My roots ALWAYS faded and would fade to an unwanted red. I combated this problem two ways. First, I tried a lot of different color shampoos and although I really dislike the Paul Mitchell line, the shampoo for color by Paul Mitchell, it's in the orange and white bottle was great, and then I made sure to seal my hair with a cold water rinse with both the shampoo and conditioner. Second, unfortunately I had to constantly have someone touch up just my roots with the same color I used previously. The said the problem was that the rest of my hair was more porous from previous highlights and lowlights, that it absorbed the color very quickly and held onto it, where my roots where a different texture and the color would not adhere as long. I think this the problem you are most likely having. And sadly because your roots will always be a different texture than your ends you will have this problem. I would say to keep a bottle of the color on you at all times and just do a touch up. You could opt to do a more permanent color on your roots, if you want. Also, I would leave the color on the maximum time in order to make sure it's adhering. Lastly, I would try applying heat to the color. Wrap your hair in a bag or something and use a low blow drier setting to heat up your roots, which will open the pores of your hair and hopefully help it stay longer. Hope this helps and good luck!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to Remove/Fade Demi-permanent Hair color [ 1 Answers ]

I have been lightening my hair and coloring it different colors for years. About 3 months ago I bleached my hair to a blonde color, hated it and then ended up dying it with permanent hair color a light brown that is pretty close to my natural color. Then 1 month ago I used a dark brown...

Demi permanent dye staining [ 5 Answers ]

3 days ago I bought a demi permanent highlighting kit in red for my hair. When I used it it leaked and turned my hair pink instead of red. I have washed it at least half a dozen times since dying and it has faded to light pink. My hair was bleached about a month and a half ago. I am really worried...

Fading semi - permanent color (purple) [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I have blonde hair right now and my cousin convinced me to Do the bottom layer purple. I do NOT like it and I just want it back To blonde.. I've tried using dandruff shampoo, but it didn't really Work, the box said "fades in 5-40 washes.." I know it will eventually Fade, but I want it gone,...

Brassy roots rest of color fine [ 2 Answers ]

I had my long hair permanent color with violet base colored yesterday--My hair is light brown to medium brown and a lot of gray on underside of hair--I hate red brassy colors--the two to 4 inches of the top of my hair from roots down is to brassy red and I would like to know which product or type...

Roots are a lot lighter than the rest of my hair [ 3 Answers ]

I got my hair died at a salon and my hair had previously been died dark brown and I wanted a solid plum-brown colour and now I have light roots and the rest of my hair is practically black (where it had been previously coloured). The girl who did my hair did not explain this would happen else I...

View more questions Search