Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    timothy2118 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 10, 2008, 03:04 PM
    Cannot access part of my hard drive
    Hi everyone.

A month ago my computer got the blue scree of death. Anyway, I turned it off but it would turn on again. I tried to fix it, but ended up just making a mess. So, to the point, I pulled out my hard drive and connected it to an internal to external drive housing and plugged it in to my laptop. Now everything under my login is denying me access, but eveything else on the drive is fine. How to get fix this?

Timothy
    seahwk83 Posts: 3,276, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Jan 10, 2008, 09:22 PM
    Did you set your drive to slave or cable select? Set the jumper on the hard drive to
    CS(cable select) and you should be able to get access to drive - if your hard drive does not have a jumper to set to CS, set it to slave
    benn11 Posts: 1,036, Reputation: 43
    Ultra Member

Jan 11, 2008, 12:51 AM
    Please use this procedure on How to take ownership of a file or folder in Windows XP

It's really easy ;)
    timothy2118 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 11, 2008, 09:28 AM
    Thanks everyone for their answers, but I actually figured it out through this link.

“Permission denied” - Data recovery in Windows XP « Jayant Kumar Gandhi

Ben11 has another link posted very similar to this one. Good luck to anyone who has the same problem.

Timothy

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

External hard drive access problems [ 2 Answers ]

Hi hope someone can help, I have been using a Maxtor external USB hard drive but I now find when I connect it the PC gives me a USB peripheral error. Any ideas? Phil Frankland

Couldn't access external Hard drive [ 2 Answers ]

Hello! I have an external hard drive that for some reason stop working I couldn't access my files,when I check the properties it say 0 used space and 0 free space now whenever I try to open the drive it say FORMAT disk. I this there any other way to access may hard drive or any other way to...

Can no longer access hard drive [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, experts! My Athlon XP 2200 computer with XP home developed a series of faults which ultimately led to it's freezing. While attempting to waken it I must have inadvertently started some unknown process as a brief message was shown on the screen saying something like "to continue will render...

How to access second hard drive [ 1 Answers ]

I hate to think I'm dense but I don't know how to access the answered questions, for that matter I don't know how to introduce myself either. (can I really be that dense?) I have two hard drives installed. My Computer shows it as drives C & F (I also have two CD/DVD and floppy installed. At one...

Cannot access my 2nd hard drive! [ 1 Answers ]

I was online when my computer froze up and I had to shut it down. Ever since I cannot access my additional hard drive. It appears in "My Computer" but when I try to open it I get the following error: "D:\ is not accessible. A device attached to the system is not functioning." Under the...

View more questions Search