Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    RedwingT Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 4, 2006, 02:19 PM
    Yahoo that files
    Hi everyone,
    I have been trying to open my that files that were created in my Yahoo messenger archive folder. I know they are just files of my previous IM'S, and I use to be able to read them. Now since I upgraded to the Yahoo messenger w/voice, I can no longer look back at these files. Any suggestions as to how to open them? I tried Notepad and word pad, but its just computer mumbo jumbo. Its not extremely important for me to open these files, just curiousity has now gotten the best of me! I can read them while on Yahoo and go to message archives, its once they have been deleted and I restored them from recycle bin, then use windows explorer and go to yahoo/messenger/profiles/messages/archives that they can't be read. I know it seems trite, but who would have thought it would be this dificult to read an unimportant file like this? Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    Thanks in advance,
    Terri
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 5, 2006, 07:13 AM
    These are probably plain text files. Use Notepad to open them.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Whoops, I goofed. I missed that you had tried Notepad already. My bad and sorry about that.

When you used to be able to read them, what did you use? Can you show us an example of what you are calling computer mumbo jumbo?

I must disagree with Fred about what that files are. There is no standard for DAT files like there is for JPG, DOC, XLS as examples. Many programs use DAT as an extension for files that hold data being used by that program. In some cases, the files are plain text. In others they are a proprietary binary format. If we could see an example of what in them we may be able to tell.

Checking the link Fred found for the Yahoo Decoder, it says that it can be used to decode IM archives without a password. What this says to me, is that the files are encoded so that they can only be viewed when someone logs into Yahoo Messenger and then only files that they created using that ID and password. So it begs the question of whether you are logged in when you try to view those files and that you probably need to view them through the Messenger client.

The file on that link seems to be a way to spy on other people using your PC for their own Yahoo Messenger names.

I hope this addition is more helpful then my initial answer.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Jan 5, 2006, 08:55 AM
    .dat files
    Hi, Redwing,
    The answer just before this one suggested using Notepad to open them. But, since you have already said you tried it and only got "mumbo jumbo", then trying it again won't help.
    Most .dat files are exactly that, computer language containing past history of opening and closing programs. They don't harm the computer.
    For example, with Internet Explorer, under Windows Explorer, then the folders Windows/Temporary Internet Files, will be an index.dat file. This file is a computerized history of internet usuage. It can become quite large, and is not easily deleted.
    A free program, Ccleaner, available from http://www.ccleaner.com, when downloaded/installed, can be used (by checking the appropriate box), to delete this large file, then it recreates it on re-booting the computer.
    I do wish you the best, and have a great day.
    PS; Here is a "last minute" suggestion:
    http://www.softpedia.com/public/cat/...-4-1-113.shtml
    This site offers a download for Yahoo Messenger that file Archive Decoder.
    I haven't use it, so can't personally recommend it, but it might be worth a try.
    Press2Esc Posts: 251, Reputation: 10

Jan 9, 2006, 07:07 AM
    That files are typically binary files... the application for they were written for is about the only things that can make sense of the "mumbo jumbo". Assuming the that files are are ascii based, theya re relatively easy to view via hex editors.

P2E

Quote Originally Posted by RedwingT
    Hi everyone,
    I have been trying to open my dat files that were created in my yahoo messenger archive folder. I know they are just files of my previous IM'S, and I use to be able to read them. Now since I upgraded to the yahoo messenger w/voice, I can no longer look back at these files. Any suggestions as to how to open them? I tried Notepad and word pad, but its just computer mumbo jumbo. Its not extremely important for me to open these files, just curiousity has now gotten the best of me!! I can read them while on yahoo and go to message archives, its once they have been deleted and i restored them from recycle bin, then use windows explorer and go to yahoo/messenger/profiles/messages/archives that they can't be read. I know it seems trite, but who would have thought it would be this dificult to read an unimportant file like this?? Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    Thanx in advance,
    Terri
    programmer4289 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 16, 2007, 05:47 PM
    Here is a site to download a decoder for the Yahoo data files... you can view any Im's typed and sent to your computer from any user and don't need to know their password. Busted a cheating wife like that lol:D
    programmer4289 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 16, 2007, 05:48 PM
    Oops forgot to add the site for the decoder Yahoo Message Archive Decoder: Read conversations, chat, passwords, etc of anyone without logging in! Decodes dat to html files! - Ikitek Software
    artofabhi Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 26, 2007, 07:36 AM
    Comment on fredg's post
    Thanks to paste the link... you have saved me a lot.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Help with Yahoo [ 7 Answers ]

Is there anywhere to report innappropriate behaviour on Yahoo? Can anyone find out who I am from the computer? Please I need an answer as soon as possible.

Yahoo/SBC [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I have a friend who just recently purchased a Yahoo/SBC Dial Up software CD and is having problems now. Here's the short story. She installs the software OK, but when she restarts her PC, she gets a quick "blue screen of death" (too quick to read the message) and then her PC will not boot...

Unwanted backup(?) files/"ghost" files [ 2 Answers ]

Hello. I have been getting these strange files that activate when I open Microsoft word documents. They are like shadow files. And also they appear in My Photo section too. Here is some information I have copied from the property boxes of the files. I have done virus scans on these "ghost"...

Yahoo Help [ 2 Answers ]

When I go to the Yahoo help page, I get a blue screen and I have to highlight the pages to read the help items--this happens on several other pages too-just wondering why I have to highlight pages to read them--why isn't the background page white instead of dark blue?--Thanks so much

Nba live 2004 crack files/patch files [ 2 Answers ]

Can anybody help me find the crack and patch files on nba live 2004. I badly need it co'z I don't have a cd rom which is needed to play. You may send it to my email add.>Removed<

View more questions Search