Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    shebs Posts: 2, Reputation: 2

Jan 10, 2008, 10:49 AM
    Sensation of lump in throat
    I've had the sensation of a lump in my throat for almost 6 weeks now. Some days it's hardly there, other days it's really bothersome. I'm a professional actor, and it started in the last week of rehearsal for my last show and continued all through the run. I thought it was just muscle tiredness or nerves and would go away after the show closed, but I've continued to have it now for over 3 weeks since the show ended.

I never lost my voice, but the last week or so, my voice hasn't been as resonate as usual and it's a little gravely at times. I went to my GP yesterday and she said it was a virus that's going around and usually lasts about 3 months.

I'm really worried I've done some vocal damage and I have pre-nodes. Does this sound like a virus or do you think it may be vocal damage? I start rehearsals for my next show in less than 3 weeks and I need a healthy voice by then. If I damage my voice, I will have no source of income - I'm really concerned about this. Should I push for an appointment with an ENT to get a scope done? I don't know what to do
    askingquestions Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 20, 2008, 12:30 PM
    Go to your ent. This could just be anxiety. He can look down your throat. Odds are you're thinking about it too much and your stress is the cause. This happened to me. I was sure something was wrong but it turned out to be anxiety that was causing my throat to clench.
    rox123 Posts: 2, Reputation: 2

Feb 9, 2008, 10:19 AM
    I know how you feel.I have had a lump in my throat and horrible mucous in the back of my throat since Jan 4th and it now affects my sleeping.I went to the Doctors and they have given me Acid reflux proton tablet but its still there.
    I wondered if there was a virus going around at the moment that is causing this? I've NEVER had anything like this before and its really getting me down.
    It was interesting that your Doctor said it was a virus and would take three months to go... how do they know this? Have their been other cases?
    I'm going to an ENT Doctor and hopefully they can shed some light?
    shebs Posts: 2, Reputation: 2

Feb 10, 2008, 09:01 PM
    I got tired of waiting to see an ENT (6 week waiting list), so I decided to go to a chiropractor to see if that would help - and it did, quite a bit.

Then I went for some private voice lessons, and my vocal coach said it was tension from the physical work I had been doing in my last show (mainly, a lot of leg work, calves and quads). By working the muscles in my legs, I created tension and cut off the support of my lower body from my voice and this cause the lump feeling in my throat.

After a couple sessions with her, working to release tension, the lump is gone and my voice feels perfectly normal again.

I don't believe it was ever a virus - I think my doctor was in a rush and totally brushed me off.
    rox123 Posts: 2, Reputation: 2

Feb 11, 2008, 04:26 AM
    Hi Shebs,
    I'm so glad you resolved your problem.I'm still waiting to see the ENT.I'm finding it awful and horrible at night time.
    I can't say mine is related to acting or singing! I believe many actors suffer from throat problems.
    I was hoping it would be a virus and that it would go! I have looked on the net for an answer and so many people have had this problem.The Doctors always put it down to stress or anxiety.How can any of us avoid stress in this world! I'm a Mum to three boys and I can't afford to feel like this.. as you couldn't with your job!

It does get depressing as no one believes me! I hope I'll be able to reply in a while and tell you and others what has caused this!

rosiebrown Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 25, 2008, 10:40 AM
    I too have had the sensation of a lump in my throat for two months now and is causing much distress as of course you have to have a blood test - but that was clear but then you think what next - two doctors have said it's a virus - I smoke too so that makes the worry worse but from other reports on here it's looking likely to be a virus if one can just convince oneself. I know one other person locally who has it and their doctor was more helpful by telling them there is a 'tonsillitusy' virus going round at the moment. As people have said, it comes and goes too which is unnerving - at this rate I shall be a nervous wreck by the time the virus(hopefully) goes!! These last reports here were in Feb - is there anybody out there who has it now in May?
    spirit1 Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

May 25, 2008, 11:10 AM
    Don't worry,Be happy, every little thing'll be all right. Listen to some good music, and QQQQUITTTTTTTTT SMOKING! Here's to a new beginning as a nonsmoker,and the very best wishes for a wonderful Healthy future
    spirit1 Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

May 25, 2008, 12:01 PM
    Hi Shebs that few words were for rosiebrown, and if your'e a nonsmoker that's a + G.E.R.D. might be the problem, if it is reflux try elevating the head of your bed when you sleep, also watch out for the med's that accompany this diagnosis. Ie: Losac, Panteloc, ratanadine etc. all have side affects and God only knows what the overall effect they may have on your future health! If you can afford to see a good homeopath or naturopath you will find natural noninvasive remedies that are much more rewarding. Always interview your health care provider, as they are employed by you, and you want good results from these employees,or you will be forced to hire another! It's your precious life so go get a second third or fourth opinion until you are satisified and feeling well!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Burning sensation in right hip [ 5 Answers ]

I have had a burning sensation in my right hip for quite some time, I have not found a doctor that the give me any help. Can anyone help. THANKS.

Burning sensation in uterine fibroids [ 1 Answers ]

Why are my uterine fibroids burning?

Itching sensation [ 3 Answers ]

What does it mean when one's a** hole itches?

Weird pregnancy sensation [ 4 Answers ]

I am 15 weeks pregnant and I have been feeling weird sensations for 7 weeks now. It feels like a tendon pops to the side or a fish flipping in my stomach and happens when I bend over or turn a certain way. I've been pregnant before and never felt this.

Tingling sensation of the heart [ 1 Answers ]

The last couple of nights I have been waking up with a tingling sensation in my heart. Last night the tingling sensation went through to the left left arm. My husband went to the hospital last week with a fluttering heart and was diagnosed with artrial fibrilation last week. I am not sure...

View more questions Search