Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mo77gal Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 10, 2008, 09:12 AM
    Buying out a court awarded pension from divorce
    My divorce was finale on Tuesday. The court awarded part of my Husbannd's pension to me. I am wanting my husband to buy out the pension so I could have cash now.

Are there penalities and tax liabilities if he pays me cash for the pension amount? I would think that he would be saving going this route, but I could be wrong. He's wanting to settle on a lower amount than the court awarded.

Please Help

Susan
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Jan 10, 2008, 01:32 PM
    Unless the man has his pension coming in a very short period you're going to have to wait until he's actually drawing this pension if he is not doing so now. What you are describing sounds more like a 401K plan.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jan 10, 2008, 01:59 PM
    [QUOTE=mo77gal]My divorce was finale on Tuesday. The court awarded part of my Husbannd's pension to me. I am wanting my husband to buy out the pension so I could have cash now.

Are there penalities and tax liabilities if he pays me cash for the pension amount? I would think that he would be saving going this route, but I could be wrong. He's wanting to settle on a lower amount than the court awarded.

I would tell him you are following the Court's order - if it doesn't specify how and when, then I would go back to Court.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Statute of Limitations on Pension Claim- Divorce [ 2 Answers ]

I am currently a resident and was a resident of BC 11 years ago when we divorced. At the time, we had been married 13 years. I tried to settle her claim on my company pension plan at the time but she refused. Her Lawyer did, however, place a claim on my pension through my employer. On several...

Would a separation before divorce be bad in court? [ 8 Answers ]

My friend has been married for about 6 years now. He and his wife have two children together. However, they are just miserable together and have decided to get divorced. Originally, they were doing mediation but that fell apart. He wants to move out into another house but his lawyer has told him...

What do these divorce court terms mean? [ 3 Answers ]

Does anyone know what these terms mean on a divorce court register? "At-Issue +2hrs" (listed under register of court events) and "TRIAL SETTING CONFERENCE"(listed under court hearings)? These are shown under case information. Thanks for any info!

Pension/Divorce Settlement [ 1 Answers ]

Who do I contact about USPS retiree's obligations & necessary bank info?

No Show at divorce court [ 3 Answers ]

What happens if plaintiff and defendant don't appear in divorce court?

View more questions Search