Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    scottfrazier Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 10, 2008, 08:53 AM
    Leaking shower handles
    My hot water shower handle leaks constantly but especially when you take a shower, allowing hot water to run down the wall to your feet so your feet get a toasty shower to say the least. There is only one screw to remove from the handle, but I can't get the handle off. Can anyone tell me how to get the faucet off so I can see what the problem is? I have a feeling it's a washer that needs replacing but it may be more. But I can't tell until I get the handle off.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jan 10, 2008, 09:07 AM
    Is it leaking at the base of the handle or is the leak just coming out the shower head and can't be stopped. One handle or two? Most handles are held with a set screw that can be hidden out of plain sight. Try looking on the bottom side of the handle for a small screw or check the handle for a plastic plug with a logo that can be pried out.
    scottfrazier Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 10, 2008, 09:13 AM
    It's leaking at the base of the handle. And there is only one screw in each handle and it's in the center of the handle cap (your palm would touch it as you turn on the water). No other screw and no plastic piece to pry off. I have already removed the screw.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jan 10, 2008, 09:25 AM
    So you have two handles, correct? Shut off you main supply and open a faucet somewhere to blow off pressure. Try tilting the handle a bit back and forth as you pull straight back toward yourself. The handle should come off exposing a bonnet nut, remove that nut and unscrew the stem until it comes out. Back to you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Shower handles [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I need to replace my shower handles which are very old and cruddy. They are held on by one screw and there is a cap that goes over the screw, indicating hot, cold, and diverter. I tried to unscrew them and pull them off, but they are really stuck and one of them I could not even unscrew the...

Removing Shower Faucet Handles [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I'm a newbie so forgive me if this has been answered. I have an older Central shower faucet with three knobs. I am trying to remove the Hot & Cold water knobs to replace the washers, but after removing the "end" screws the handles will not come off. I tried forcefully but with caution...

Handles for shower broken [ 2 Answers ]

The handles on the shower are broken. There is cold water running constantly. The center piece on the cold valve is broken off and the handle is off the hot water. There is a metal cover that is over top the handle that sits on the tile wall and had caulking around it. Do I need to remove this to...

Leaking faucet in bathtub-2 handles-30 yrs old [ 1 Answers ]

I'm trying to get the hot water handle to come off so I can put a washer on it. I can't get that stem thing to come out and hot water is coming out at a fast clip! :confused:

Shower was leaking from handles/I replaced and now it won't work [ 2 Answers ]

I purchased a replacement kit for a shower with leaking handles. I made sure to buy the same bonnets and seats. I changed everything out. Now it does not work at all. No water comes out of the shower head. The diverter does not leak at all but the water comes out of the shower handles only. I...

View more questions Search