Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    domino815 Posts: 35, Reputation: 1

Jan 10, 2008, 08:12 AM
    Removing clip art from Word 2003
    I saved a picture of Santa on my Word program. Now I cannot get rid of it. Every time I open WORD, it is there. If I click on cut or delete, it gets rid of it for the moment, but then when I go to close WORD, and it asks Do you want to save your changes? If I say yes then it saves it as Doc 1, Doc 2, etc. I think I am up to about Doc 10 now. When I open WORD again, it is the first thing I see. If I say no, then the same thing happens again when I open Word. That clip is right there on the page again.
    Please help. Thanks :)
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jan 10, 2008, 08:17 AM
    I had that same problem trying to get rid of the pics that came with it.
    It deleted a lot of them except a few that they considered main ones and then most of them came back. I would love to know the answer myself.
    seahwk83 Posts: 3,276, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Jan 12, 2008, 10:02 AM
    Open your document, left click on image 1 time, hit delete key and when you close save it as any file you want, if you save it as same file name, it should overwrite original

Jan 12, 2008, 10:08 AM
    I tried that. Same thing. I close - it asks do you want to save your changes, I say yes and when I reopen Word - the picture is still there. Thanks
    Ultra Member

Jan 12, 2008, 10:35 AM
    Instead of closing the doc, go to file and choose "save as" and give it a new file name

Jan 12, 2008, 02:26 PM
    Yep - tried that too. I tried it up to 10 times because I had to go in and delete Doc 1 - 10 that I had saved trying to get rid of it. Thanks.
    Ultra Member

Jan 12, 2008, 03:45 PM
    Try and sopy and paste the info you want to keep into another doc, just don't copy the clipart part

Jan 24, 2008, 05:07 PM
    I don't have any info on the document I want to save - I just want to get rid of that picture of Santa that is there every time I open Word. I even tried un installing and re installing Word - and I made sure it was removed from the Clip Board - it is still there. This is very irritating. I have used Word for years and never had this problem. Thanks
    Ultra Member

Jan 25, 2008, 08:46 AM
    Find where the santa clip is and delete it from your hard drive
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Jan 25, 2008, 08:51 AM
    If that is the first you see when Word opens then it has somehow become your Normal.dot document which is the default doucment template that opens with Word. This site guides you have restoring it back to its default. fix normal.dot
    Ultra Member

Jan 25, 2008, 10:43 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedKarma
    If that is the first you see when Word opens then it has somehow become your Normal.dot document which is the default doucment template that opens with Word. This site guides you have restoring it back to its default. fix normal.dot
    Good point, I don't know why I didn't think of it, that should fix it

Jan 27, 2008, 07:48 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedKarma
    When I went to that web site and downloaded it, it downloaded Reg Cure -which I already have on my computer. I am not sure how to restore it back to the default document
    Template that opens with Word with this tool. Thanks for your help.:)
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Jan 27, 2008, 07:54 AM
    There is nothing to download on that page, you're supposed to follow the steps they show.
    Ultra Member

Jan 27, 2008, 10:29 AM
    Domino, follow the steps as mentioned above, there is nothing to download - if you have your popups on , a popup may have come up and mentioned reg cure - cancel popups if any and just follow steps
    JBeaucaire Posts: 5,426, Reputation: 997
    Software Expert

Jan 27, 2008, 10:59 AM
    Normal.dot is the template word uses to store all your personal settings. You can manually fix it, too. Using that tool could blow away any other customizations you have made.

1. OPen Word
    2. Delete the graphic
    3. Save AS
    4. Change File TYPE to template, you should see the normal.dot now
    5. Filename normal2.dot
    6. Close word.
    7. Find your templates directory and delete normal.dot
    8. Rename normal2.dot to normal.dot
    9. Restart Word. Voilą!

Jul 31, 2008, 06:49 AM
    I am still after all this time, unable to fix this problem with the Santa. Is there some way I can re-set Word back to the default start up? Or uninstall and re-install to get rid of this thing? I really didn't understand the fix normal.dot thing. It was pretty confusing when I tried to do it. Thanks to all for your help.
    Ultra Member

Jul 31, 2008, 09:32 AM
    Well with the link
    fix normal.dot

It's just telling you to do a search for normal.dot on your computer and the just rename each one to oldNormal.dot

Now when word open for the first time after you do this, Word will not find normal.dot file and then create a New default one as when originally installed

For each occurrence of Normal.dot that appears, right-click the file and select, "Rename" from the drop down list. Rename the file to "oldNormal.dot" and restart Word. Microsoft Word will now launch, and after not finding its previous default template file (we changed the name in the steps above), will build a fresh one on its own.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Word 2003 slow down [ 3 Answers ]

I use XP Pro and Office 2003. After I completed a Windows Update and all patches completed Word 2003 runs like a dog for a couple of minutes. I can hear my hard drive working when I bring up a Word doc and delays affect my mouse movement until something times out and releases it. This goes on...

Microsoft word 2003 [ 5 Answers ]

Hello I'm really awful with computers, but lately our Microsoft word hasn't been working. Whenever I want to view something from work, a thing pops up and asks for a product key, and after so many years of using word, I do not have a clue where it is! I really need to use word tonight to access a...

Missing File with Word 2003 (all Office 2003 programs) [ 3 Answers ]

I recently started having problems opening any of my Office 2003 Professional programs. The files seem to open, but an error pops up saying that I'm missing a file named PS561401.cab, and can not open without reinstalling the program. I don't have the installation disks for Office, as this...

Using clip art in word documents [ 1 Answers ]

I have clip art on cd that uses GraphicView 32; file extension wmf. I can copy it to my documents, but cannot use it in documents (file extension wrong). How do I solve this problem?

Word 2003 [ 2 Answers ]

How do you insert a table into word 2003?

View more questions Search