Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    HistorianChick Posts: 2,556, Reputation: 825
    Ultra Member

Jan 10, 2008, 07:42 AM
    Someone give me something to read!
    Ok, I need a new book.

My list of favorite authors include, but are definitely not limited to:
    Agatha Christie (read all of her books numerous times)
    Dan Brown
    Lillian Jackson Braun (read them all)
    Arthur Conan Doyle
    Shakespeare
    Classic literature

Mysteries, suspense, action, some romance (not too much - its got to be real! :) ), classics...

Just finished The Last Templar (wasn't all that impressed) and The Picture of Dorian Gray... I need new material!

(Oh, favorite book is The Scarlet Pimpernel and all other books by Baroness Orczy - haven't read them?? Please do... its WELL worth it!)
    life1973happened Posts: 322, Reputation: 109
    -

Jan 10, 2008, 08:27 AM
    I also love to read and do it daily. A good friend of mine, years back, decided to take turns picking a book and we both would read it together, discuss it and pick another. It gace us a chance to read a book we otherwise would have read. For me it has been a fun experience as he enjoys historical fiction, mystery, Greek myth type books and so on. I enjoy non-fiction, authors like Mitch Albom, James Patterson (non-mystery side) We both love business leadership books of all kind. So I will suggest a few different types that were some of our favorites.

Mystery: Harlan Coben he is a very good writer my friend went on to read every single book he has read but I read one. I was surprised how much I liked it but have to admit I am also not a huge fan of mysteries. Give one of his books a try I think you will be surprised.

Titles...

Miracle on the 17th Green: James Patterson co-wrote this book with Peter de Jonge even if you don't like golf incredible book. Another, no matter what, must read is called, Suzanne's Diary for Nicholas also written by by James Patterson. This book is in my top 5 and will make you cry at least 5 times. You will continue to put this book down because you don't want to finish it.

All of Mitch Albom's books
    Tuesday's with Morrie
    The Five People You Meet in Heaven
    For One More Day
    Fab Five:Basketball, Trash Talk, the American Dream
    Making Loss Matter: Creating Meaning in Difficult Times

Leadership Books

The 21 Irrefutable Laws of Leadership written by John Maxwell
    Is my favorite but I have a ton I could suggest if you'd like.

Another one of my favorites that I think you would like, if you haven't already read it is Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen

That's just a few you might enjoy. I would stay clear away from The Iliad and The Odyssey written by Homer, though there is some question if he actually wrote The Odyssey, it will not matter when you look for it in a bookstore. They are terrible and I wouldn't force my worst enemy to have to sit through reading them.
    Ultra Member

Jan 10, 2008, 08:35 AM
    LOL! My sentiments exactly... Homer... although a classic... definitely not worth it. But, Pride and Prejudice? Divine.

Have you and your friend read The Scarlet Pimpernel? Please do! It's a wonderful book, as are the rest by Baroness Orczy. The Pimpernel and Rosemary is very entertaining as well.

Thank you SO much for these suggestions! I've read some of James Patterson and must say that I did enjoy his writing style. I'll try Suzanne's Diary for Nicholas.

I just finished reading Blue Like Jazz and enjoyed that. I'll have to try The 21 Irrefutable Laws...

B&N, here I come!

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!
    -

Jan 10, 2008, 08:43 AM
    My friend is a he and there is no way in hell he would read those, but I would. I will take you up on your suggestion and pick up The Scarlet Pimpernel. What is the story line?

And yes hear me because you will thank me. You have to pick up Suzanne's Diary to Nicholas. It will surprise you in the end, shock you in the beginning and make you cry in between. It is a must read and will bring out emotions you never thought you had.

Thank you for the suggestion. I think I pay the electric bill at Borders and Barnes with all the books I buy.

It's nice to see another person dislike Homer's books. Yuck, it took me almost a year to read The Iliad, it was awful. I would rather have every single one of my teeth pulled out with a tweezer than go through that again.
    Ultra Member

Jan 10, 2008, 08:52 AM
    WOW! Teeth pulled with a tweezer, huh? Niiiiice! That about sums up Homer.

The Scarlet Pimpernel is really not in the genre of "chick books", believe me. Check it out on wiki... although, be warned the "plot summary" section on the site will give you the whole story... The Scarlet Pimpernel - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia It's definitely an amazing book... and was turned into a Broadway musical not too long ago

Broadway... yes, I'm a theatre geek too! Book nerd, theatre geek, and historian. The written word fascinates me!
    -

Jan 10, 2008, 09:03 AM
    I will, I'm not a fan of chick books but you really wouldn't know that by what I suggested, if you read them by title only. I have read some chick books but not that many. I am much like you in what I enjoy. However, with that said I must admit I have never been a fan of fiction. I'm getting a little better and trying to be more open-minded in my reading.

I also love Broadway and theatre. That's one of the many things I love about living in Boston. Mamma Mia is my all time favorite musical. I could see it once a week and still not get sick of it.

I also enjoy driving to NYC and grabbing a show or sight seeing. I am a history major at heart. You and I have of loves in common. It's nice to see there is somebody out there who can appreciate real art and appreciate our heritage. Give me music and books, stick me on a island (throw in some crates containing Willy Wonks candy) and I will be in heaven!

Who needs men!! Okay the Rosie Riveter in me slipped out, sorry
    Ultra Member

Jan 10, 2008, 09:12 AM
    Amen, Sister Suffragette! Lol!

Mamma Mia... divine. Wicked, divine. The Scarlet Pimpernel, even if the story wasn't as divine as it is, would fall in the divine category simply for its music. I'm considering a move to NYC next fall for a teaching job and I must say that Broadway and The Met are severely influencing my decision! The Nashville scene, as musically inclined as it is, just doesn't hold a candle to NYC... but, at least Nashville has hockey!

Chick books have their place, a small place, but every once in a while the need for Godiva and a fluff book overtakes me.

What about Poe? You a fan of his writings? Next weekend is the anniversary of the Poe Toaster in Baltimore... odd story... but interesting! (another wikipedia quest... )

Oooo... "quest"... Find Your Grail! Good old Monty Python!
    LisaB4657 Posts: 3,662, Reputation: 534
    Expert

Jan 10, 2008, 09:26 AM
    Do you enjoy historical fiction? If so then Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett and anything by Edward Rutherfurd.
    -

Jan 10, 2008, 09:33 AM
    Oh my gosh I feel like I'm getting punked?? I am attending Poe Toaster!! Are you kidding me?

I love Edgar Allan Poe. I just finished a paper for school about him. My personal favorite has to be Annabel Lee. Did you know he was born in Boston? He was later adopted and moved and raised in Richmond Virginia. I love the stories I have read about him. His mother working as an actress and did many shows in NYC before her death.

Though he lived a very sad life I had no idea how much I would love reading about him. His story of his achievements, his life, his fears, the devastation he had to overcome, draw me in. I continue to read and learn more about the very short life he led.

My children each have books about him. My son is not a big fan but he's almost 12 my daughter really enjoys the children's version of some of his stories. Even the children's version I have to keep from reading some of the stories as I think they are a little too disturbing for her age.

I think going back to college has been great for me because I have had the opportunity while living here to go to a great school, be introduced to writers like him and be engulfed by our American culture and traditions at the same time. To be here and to live her is my fairy tale. It really is. I love American History and to know this is truly where it began.

If you knew me at all you would be surprised how much I've changed since moving here in 2004. I was close-minded and rarely would try anything. I had not seen a musical or been to a live show and I was what 31? Now I actually like some wine, I'm a season ticket holder to all the best shows I'll be graduating soon and I even like Thai food! Being a girl from the midwest who still likes and listens to Karen Carpenter, imagine that for a second?
    -

Jan 10, 2008, 09:35 AM
    Not a fan at all of historical fiction, in fact I think I need to start a riot to get that section banned from all book stories.

Does anybody else think there is some irony in using the words historical and fiction in the same sentence??
    Ultra Member

Jan 10, 2008, 09:45 AM
    Punked... wow... kind of scary that there are two of us in the Eastern half of the country... I'm sorry, but anyone who debates the fact that Yesterday Once More is one of the all time song greats is just stupid. (As literary as I am, the only insult I could come up with was "stupid"... wow... )

Cheesy historical fiction is just that, cheesy, and should be banned from all bookstores. But there is a fine line between the cheese and the greats... i.e. Gone With the Wind is a classic in my book. Scarlet Pimpernel, another.

The Poe Toaster... amazing. I was contemplating a trip to Baltimore (for the Lexington Market crab cakes and the Toaster), but alas, scheduling conflicts with work. I'd love to go one day. I actually re-read Tell-Tale Heart just this week. One of my favorite stories in grade school was the Pit and the Pendulum... odd, for a fourth grade girl to like Poe, but I was an odd child.

Kudos on going back to school! One of the reasons I want to get back into the teaching realm is so that I can get my PhD in either Military History or Public History. My Master's thesis was based on the Civil War diary of my G, G, G Grandfather - he was captured at the Battle of the Wilderness and sent to Andersonville... and kept a daily diary... :) One day, I'll publish it, but until then, my CW quest is ongoing. (BTW: the 21st Mass CW flag is in the State House in Boston! That was his regiment.)

Boston. Sigh. Amazing city. History, culture, art, amazing.
    -

Jan 10, 2008, 09:47 AM
    Oh and by the way HistorianChick, take the teaching job in NYC!!

It's more expensive to live around here and there but just go for it. I can tell you are bright, you write very well, you are witty and can make a total virtual stranger laugh so hard it brings tears, it's worth it. You must be an excellent teacher. Do it for you. Besides when is the last time you just did something most would find crazy? Pack and move to the Big Apple...

Everything you love is in that city. Maybe you will also find something you weren't looking for. Something we don't find in our romantic stories of true love...

I did it, I packed up and moved 1200 miles away from family and friends. And boy was I scared and it wasn't and hasn't been easy. But you know what? I'm glad I did it and I love Boston and I love the East!

Think about it...
    -

Jan 10, 2008, 09:54 AM
    You are killing me here!!

Besides the fact that you write a hell of a lot better than I do and without question, are witty and I lack that incredible skill (which is why I stick to sarcasm as a disguise for my shortcomings) We had to be separated at birth or something along those lines.

When I was young

I’d listened to the radio

Waitin’ for my favorite songs

Waiting they played I’d sing along

It made me smile

Those were such happy times

And not so long ago

How I wondered where they’d gone

But they’re back again

Just like a long lost friend

All the songs I loved so well

Every sha-la-la-la

Every wo-wo-wo

Still shines

Every shing-a-ling-a-ling

That they’re starting to sing’s

So fine

When they get to the part

Where he’s breakin’ her heart

It can really make me cry

Just like before

It’s yesterday once more

Lookin’ back on how it was

In years gone by

And the good times that I had

Makes today seem rather sad

So much has changed

It was songs of love that

I would sing to then

And I’d memorize each word

Those old melodies

Still sound so good to me

As they melt the years away

All my best memories

Come back clearly to me

Some can even make me cry

Just like before

It’s yesterday once more
    -

Jan 10, 2008, 09:55 AM
    Tempting? What is holding you back?
    Ultra Member

Jan 10, 2008, 10:02 AM
    Oh, you know, the normal "leaving my comfort zone" kind of thing. My current job is very comfortable. I'm the only writer (thanks for the kudos on that, by the way!) for an international textbook publishing house. Today, I'm working on US History from 1969-present... that was actually dropped on me yesterday by my "Someone-has-a-case-of-the-Monday's-should-have-been-cast-in-Officespace" boss. My "real" job is writing the tenth grade World History course - I'm just about ready to start on WWI. But, I'm also the editor-in-chief of the two in-house magazines, the marketing writer, the ad campaign guru, and general gopher/go-to girl. My days go by VERY fast.

I'm comfortable here... I have so much stinking job security, I could steal the company President's Fairy Waterfall Fountain and get away with it.

And that's it in a nutshell... comfort. Settling. Rah. I'm too young to settle and I still don't know what I want to be when I "grow up."

Oh, and I spent two years after my Master's teaching English in China... Go figure... :)

Jackie-of-all-trades, here.
    Ultra Member

Jan 10, 2008, 10:09 AM
    LOL!! Now I'm going to be Sha-la-la-ing and Shing-a-ling-ing all day!!

What about Please Mr. Postman??
    -

Jan 10, 2008, 10:16 AM
    What about this classic...

"Why do birds suddenly appear whenever you are near just like me they want to be close to you. On the day that you were born the angels got together and decided to create a dream come true. So they sprinkled moon dust in your air and golden starlight in your eyes so blue..ue...ue...ue that is why all the girls in sight...girls in sight...girls in sight follow you...follow you all around...all around. Just like me they want to be close to you.."

That is from memory so don't shoot me id soome of the lyrics are wrong. When I sing it in the shower I sound just like her!
    Ultra Member

Jan 10, 2008, 10:18 AM
    I completely believe it! When singing in showers, we all are automatic American Idols and Broadway Babies!

(BTW: American Idol is VERY not my thing, but cultural references are! :) )
    -

Jan 10, 2008, 10:26 AM
    I enjoy american Idol and stink at giving cultural references. In fact when it comes to Pop Culture, I stink at knowing anything. I blame my parents because as children we were not allowed to watch too much TV unless it was PBS (I know I'm a loser) and the only music we were llowed to listen to were the oldies or my mothers favorites, Carpenters, Sandi Patty, Neil Diamond etc. Top that off with the fact that we attended church 5 and 6 days a week and it's no wonder I turned out this way.

I'm trying to pass on the tradition to my kids...
    -

Jan 10, 2008, 10:30 AM
    I would eat Squash, spinach and raw fish to do what you do for a living. What a great job!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Need Help - Please Read. [ 7 Answers ]

All right, here's the situation - my ex-girlfriend calls me a few weeks ago, and tells me that she's pregnant. Of course, this is not a situation I'm immediately comfortable with, but it's not because I'm not one to run from a responsibility. See, I'm not going to be here, I'm actually going OUT...

Eviction: Lawful or Unlawful-Read and Give Opinion! [ 7 Answers ]

A friend of mines received an eviction notice because she refused to pay a pet deposit for a dog she doesn't own and was providing emergency care for. Her sister who owns the dog was in an automobile accident and hospitalized for a few days. She brought the dog to her home to care for it while her...

How to read her? [ 14 Answers ]

Hello, Well, this is my situation. I have known a girl very distantly for around two years, we were previously both in very long term relationships, but I always admired her from afar, and had a very platonic email correspondence with her. Anyway, recently I split from my girlfriend of 7...

View more questions Search