-

Jan 11, 2008, 10:15 AM
    AAHHhhh...

"Such stuff as dreams are made on"

"Loves looks not with the eyes but with the mind"

"The course of true love never did run smooth"

"Journeys end in lovers meeting"

"A long farewell to all my greatness"

How can you not love Shakespeare? I'm with you HistorianChick. We are warped with our love of true classics that we are blinded by the realities of the world, when we look up from our stories. This can leave women like us expecting the unexpected and as once quoted by the great one, "I wait...and wait and continue to wait, always waiting."

So we will continue to learn, "Some Cupid kills with arrows, some with traps."
    HistorianChick Posts: 2,556, Reputation: 825
    Ultra Member

Jan 11, 2008, 10:33 AM
    Losing yourself in the pages of sublime literature, never results in loss, but only true gain. For by it, we are inspired to live better, love deeper, challenge our wit and opinions, and truly grow as an individual.

Shakespeare ROCKS! :D
    life1973happened Posts: 322, Reputation: 109
    -

Jan 11, 2008, 10:51 AM
    "There was never yet a philosopher that could endure the toothache patiently"

Until now I see...
    Ultra Member

Jan 11, 2008, 11:09 AM
    Another gorgeous literary quote:

"Let the rain kiss you. Let the rain beat upon your head with silver liquid drops. Let the rain sing you a lullaby." ~ Langston Hughes~

Appreciating the finer things in life, them being literature, music, or a simple rain fall, is the most divine and wonderful way to live.
    -

Jan 11, 2008, 11:12 AM
    I could not agree more my virtual friend, I could not agree more...
    Ultra Member

Jan 12, 2008, 03:03 PM
    *sniff* I just finished Suzanne's Diary for Nicholas... *sniff* That was simply beautiful, heart-wrenching, and perfect. Thank you, so much, life1973!

*sinff* lol!
    -

Jan 12, 2008, 04:12 PM
    I am so glad you enjoyed it, I just knew you would. It's an incredible story and a wonderful book for an evening read (more so for girls like us) I remember when I read it. I kept putting it down because I was sobbing and couldn't read the words any longer, or because I didn't want the story to end.

I grew up reading and loving books and that has never changed and I think because of that I read very quickly. That was a story in which I could have read very slowly and enjoyed it over several weeks. I told you it's just one of those stories that will bring out emotions you never thought you had. I remember while reading it I stepped into the bathtub and kept reading (of course) I was so frustrated during a chapter I tossed the book next to the tub and laid there steaming (no pun intended) By the next few lines I was crying again. Go figure...

This is one of those conversations men could not possibly begin to understand. All this fuss over a book. Am I right, or what?

There is no need to thank me just pass on the book to a girlfriend who will appreciate the story, or a stranger you know, who needs to meet Suzanne.

What other books did you end up buying at the bookstore?
    Ultra Member

Jan 14, 2008, 07:58 AM
    I'm actually sad to say that it only took me a few hours to read Suzanne's Diary for Nicholas. Looking back, I wish I had taken longer to read it as well, it was just too good!

And in those few hours, the emotional roller-coaster! WOW! Its been a long time since I've had a good cry over a book.

Anyone who has viewed these posts MUST pick up this book! It's amazingly perfect.
    iAMfromHuntersBar Posts: 943, Reputation: 146

Jan 14, 2008, 08:44 AM
    If you fancy a change from books that make you cry, at the back end of the 90s a guy called Keith Baker wrote 4 thrillers centered around Northern Ireland; Inheritance, Reckoning, Engram and Lunenburg. I read them all and thought they were excellent... and looking at his background the guy knows his stuff!

The best thing is you can get them all on Amazon.co.uk for 1p each!

But who am I to say such things! As a great man once wrote;
    "If one cannot enjoy reading a book over and over again, there is no use in reading it at all!"
    friend4u178 Posts: 3,349, Reputation: 1584
    Ultra Member

Jan 14, 2008, 08:19 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by life1973happened
    This is one of those conversations men could not possibly begin to understand. All this fuss over a book. Am I right, or what?
    Well as a bloke I can say I loved "Suzannes Diary for Nicholas" as well , did I sob... I'm not telling :-)

He wrote another book in the same vein called " Sam's letters to Jennifer" which was also very good , very different to what he normally writes.
    -

Jan 14, 2008, 08:23 PM
    Though it is true he did write Sam's Letters to Jennifer, it's no where near as good as Suzanne's Diary to Nicholas.

But as always, I appreciate a mans point of view once in a while.
    Ultra Member

Jan 14, 2008, 08:26 PM
    Though it is true he did write Sam's Letters to Jennifer, it's no where near as good as Suzanne's Diary to Nicholas.

But as always, I appreciate a mans point of view once in a while.
    I have to agree , not as good.

Only once in a while? :)
    -

Jan 15, 2008, 05:58 AM
    Only once in a while!
    Ultra Member

Jan 15, 2008, 06:09 AM
    Only once in a while!!
    LOL... Thankyou "K"
    Emland Posts: 2,468, Reputation: 496
    Ultra Member

Jan 15, 2008, 06:26 AM
    I just want to thank HistorianChick for starting this thread. I have made of list of interesting reads folks have suggested here. I'm starting Georgianna by Amanda Foreman, a biography of the Duchess of Devonshire. Looks interesting - I'll let you know if its any good when I get finished.
    -

Jan 15, 2008, 10:33 AM
    Okay I have a couple more. Now keep in mind these are both Chick-lite books. However, a friend of mine, who is male and not gay, read the first one and enjoyed it.

'Something Borrowed' written by Emily Griffin (pink cover) also in paperback

'Something Blue' written by Emily Griffin (blue cover) also in paperback

I highly recommend reading both books as the story continues from the first one. It's a good read. The first story takes place in NYC (hint... hint... HistorianChick) The second book takes place in London, if memory serves me correctly. It's a great story of four friends and how life has it's own plans sometimes. Yet, when we are faced with drastic life changes, in the end our own little, 'happily ever after' can be much better than our short term disappointment and even long term broken heart.

Emily Griffin write a third book that looks like it goes with the series but it's a completely different story and not as good as the first ones. It's called 'Baby Proof' (yellow cover)

HistorianChick, you have to read these two books as it pertains so much to what you are dealing with now. Though much different style than Suzanne's Diary to Nicholas, you will find these two books just as hard to put down. You will smile at how similar your situation is to the characters in this book.

These two books will not bring out the emotion from our previous book discussions. However, they will make you chuckle and smile and we all need that from time to time.

It helps ease the pain...
    Ultra Member

Jan 15, 2008, 10:38 AM
    LOL!! NYC, huh?? Niiiiiice. Got the n'er-be-subtle hint! ;)

I'm hitting Opry Mills mall tonight... thanks for the recommendation! I'll get Something Borrowed.

(You're not some secret spy from B&N with the mission to sell more books, are you? :) )
    -

Jan 15, 2008, 10:56 AM
    If I am I certainly am not on the payroll damn it! Maybe you can get a good word in for me, at least get me more than a 25% DISCOUNT!

I told you I pay the electricity bill there...
    Ultra Member

Jan 15, 2008, 11:02 AM
    BTW: life1973, I LOVE the Chick-lite books!

In the grand scheme of literature, we have several categories:

1. Chick-lit books: those books that are cute, adorable, and little pieces of yummy goodness.
    2. Bubbalicious: those books that are long-lasting, good to the last drop
    3. Double Mint: those books that double your refreshment and have cute characters in Tennis outfits
    4. Big Leauge Chew: those books that pack a punch, keep you going, and look great in your back pocket

:D

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Need Help - Please Read. [ 7 Answers ]

All right, here's the situation - my ex-girlfriend calls me a few weeks ago, and tells me that she's pregnant. Of course, this is not a situation I'm immediately comfortable with, but it's not because I'm not one to run from a responsibility. See, I'm not going to be here, I'm actually going OUT...

Eviction: Lawful or Unlawful-Read and Give Opinion! [ 7 Answers ]

A friend of mines received an eviction notice because she refused to pay a pet deposit for a dog she doesn't own and was providing emergency care for. Her sister who owns the dog was in an automobile accident and hospitalized for a few days. She brought the dog to her home to care for it while her...

How to read her? [ 14 Answers ]

Hello, Well, this is my situation. I have known a girl very distantly for around two years, we were previously both in very long term relationships, but I always admired her from afar, and had a very platonic email correspondence with her. Anyway, recently I split from my girlfriend of 7...

View more questions Search