Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    HistorianChick Posts: 2,556, Reputation: 825
    Ultra Member

Jan 10, 2008, 10:35 AM
    Ahh... family vacations singing "Via Dolorosa" and "Was it a morning like this?" at the top of my lungs with the classic belter herself, Sandi Patty. Glad, too?? Yup, church 5/6 times... wow... again... Punked?

Sushi... interesting... and not half bad!

Yes, it is a great job... which is a huge part of the dilemma... Rah...
    life1973happened Posts: 322, Reputation: 109
    -

Jan 10, 2008, 11:02 AM
    You crack me up. My first solo in church was, Love in any Language. In all honesty I love the music taste my mother passed on to me and she is one of my favorite artists. To this day when I'm asked to sing in church I will pickk one of her songs. Her voice is as peaceful and soothing as a midsummer night sky...

AAAHHH...
    Ultra Member

Jan 10, 2008, 11:16 AM
    I'm working on Via Dolorosa for Easter... :D

Midsummer Nights Dream... Shakespeare... *sigh*
    Emland Posts: 2,468, Reputation: 496
    Ultra Member

Jan 10, 2008, 11:25 AM
    I highly recommend the Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon
    Ultra Member

Jan 10, 2008, 11:27 AM
    Outlander series... tell me more... :)
    Ultra Member

Jan 10, 2008, 11:38 AM
    It's about a husband and wife, Jamie and Claire. It involves some romance (but not bodice ripping); a lot of historical references (Bonny Prince Charlie and the revolt) and the fallout from that unfortunate event. I'm afraid I might scare you off when I mention time travel - but it is well done and not hokey, IMO.

There are 5 books now (I think) in the series and I have enjoyed each of them tremendously. They are long - about 800 pages each, but they don't feel drawn out to me. The weirdest thing is that she wrote these characters so well they feel like real people to me.
    George_1950 Posts: 3,099, Reputation: 236
    Ultra Member

Jan 11, 2008, 07:31 AM
    Some books that helped me grow up: I learned to appreciate the large book with "War and Peace"; then several by Fyodor Dostoevsky, "The Brothers Karamazov", "The Possessed", and "Crime and Punishment". My 'finishing school' was "The Fountainhead" and "Atlas Shrugged". I've never spent a lot of time reading novels, but I read "Gone With The Wind" a year or so ago, and it is much better than the movie.

Maybe someone could start a thread in Relationships like "Songs We Listen To", and call it "Books We Read" that would focus on breaking up, reconciliation, etc.
    Ultra Member

Jan 11, 2008, 07:47 AM
    "Atlas Shrugged" - now THAT sounds interesting...

In my opinion, books are always better than the movies!

Thanks! And, great idea about the "Books We Read" post...
    Ultra Member

Jan 11, 2008, 08:49 AM
    Atlas Shrugged is a good one. I think that one is close to 1000 pages.
    -

Jan 11, 2008, 08:55 AM
    Yawn... now you guys are starting to put me to sleep with these book choices. We were on such a role for a while.
    Ultra Member

Jan 11, 2008, 08:57 AM
    LOL! You have to admit though... just the simple phrase "Atlas shrugged" brings up quite the interesting mental pictures... I mean, come on! Why did Atlas shrug? Isn't he Superman? And when he shrugged, did the world shake?? What made him shrug? :)
    -

Jan 11, 2008, 09:04 AM
    Here we go...
    Ultra Member

Jan 11, 2008, 09:05 AM
    Atlas Shrugged is by Ayn Rand and although it is a work of fiction, it centers around her political and social philosophy. It's about a big, powerful family and their antics.
    Ultra Member

Jan 11, 2008, 09:06 AM
    HA! "here we go...." LOL!

Never know, this could start a brand new series... "Atlas Shrugged," "Mona Lisa Frowned," "David Went Shopping," and on, and on!!

:D
    -

Jan 11, 2008, 09:07 AM
    And that needs 800 pages to say? I mean really, what about our trees? I say stat to finish no more than 400 pages at most. After that we are getting far too much detail.

These are just my thoughts for what it's worth...
    Ultra Member

Jan 11, 2008, 09:12 AM
    I kind of like my idea for a series based on famous works of art and sculpture... (how about "DaVinci Doodled"? )

Seriously though, I've a list of books to get this weekend! Not sure if it will be a Godiva/fluff weekend, a Pillars of the Earth weekend, or a 7 Habits of Highly Effective People/Franklin Covey/self-worth weekend! :)
    -

Jan 11, 2008, 09:19 AM
    Let's look at the good news to what we have created. 173 people have viewed these posts and have probably gotten their reading done for a week. Add that to the fact that these posts are quite amusing so we have probably also generated a laugh or two, if nothing else I'm sure a smile. Then there will be the ones that read this, scratched their heads, and counted their lucky stars they have a life. The last set were the few knight and shining armors left, that are thinking where in there world are these damsel in distress?

We've helped mankind in some small way. The book club does it again... All without Oprah or Dr. Phil's help, imagine that.
    -

Jan 11, 2008, 09:32 AM
    A Separate Peace by John Knowles. Good book, great story, a real classic.
    Ultra Member

Jan 11, 2008, 09:33 AM
    Ah yes, those famed "knights in shining armor"... Pray tell, wherefore art they? LOL

Yes, I agree... And I think a book club needs to be established on here! :)
    -

Jan 11, 2008, 09:47 AM
    I'll tell you where they are... They are in the Relationship section figuring out how to sign over their parental rights, not pay child support, or follow the N/C rule.

Back to Shakespeare, are odds are better.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Need Help - Please Read. [ 7 Answers ]

All right, here's the situation - my ex-girlfriend calls me a few weeks ago, and tells me that she's pregnant. Of course, this is not a situation I'm immediately comfortable with, but it's not because I'm not one to run from a responsibility. See, I'm not going to be here, I'm actually going OUT...

Eviction: Lawful or Unlawful-Read and Give Opinion! [ 7 Answers ]

A friend of mines received an eviction notice because she refused to pay a pet deposit for a dog she doesn't own and was providing emergency care for. Her sister who owns the dog was in an automobile accident and hospitalized for a few days. She brought the dog to her home to care for it while her...

How to read her? [ 14 Answers ]

Hello, Well, this is my situation. I have known a girl very distantly for around two years, we were previously both in very long term relationships, but I always admired her from afar, and had a very platonic email correspondence with her. Anyway, recently I split from my girlfriend of 7...

View more questions Search