Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Tony J Posts: 90, Reputation: 4

Jan 9, 2008, 08:22 PM
    How to deal with lawyer over credit default
    I spoke with a lawyer from the credit card company recently about a defaulted credit card I have. I tried to explain to him that I was willing to start making payments but he refused and said I need to come up with the entire amount before the end of January 08. What leverage do I have to get them to agree to let me start paying off the debtin installments? He wants me to go to court over this and they want to go after my assets, lol, which I have little to none. How do I deal with this A-hole? Will they take significantly less money to clear the books? I want to get back on the right track and any advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Jan 9, 2008, 09:06 PM
    What's 100 lawyers at the bottom of the ocean? A good start.

Essentially he's been doing this kind of tough talk day in and day out for years so he's got his little speech down pat. If you can come up with the entire amount that you are willing to part with all at once they may be able to take that as full and final payment for the debt. I have yet to hear that a debtor will not take payments. Have you tried sending in a payment for this debt yet and had it refused?

Jan 10, 2008, 12:18 PM
    I have not tried to send in a partial payment yet. That is a good idea though as I am sure if this guy does try to take me to court it would look favorable on my part. He's supposed to be contacting me again in the near future. Thanks
    Uber Member

Jan 10, 2008, 06:32 PM
    Send the payment in. If the check is cashed that means that they are going to accept your terms and take partial payments. It's a gotcha trick. Pay no attention to attorney. If you send in say $10 on the debt it shows you are trying in good faith to pay. If you send in nothing, that's a different story.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 10, 2008, 06:39 PM
    Do NOT send in partial payments. First they do NOT hat to accept them, second, it may reactivate the stature of limitations. Since you have no assets the most he can do is garnish your salary. And to do that he has to get a judgement against you.

How old is this debt and how much is it?
    Uber Member

Jan 10, 2008, 06:46 PM
    I don't think he wants a salary garnishment as they do not go away, they only get worse.

Jan 10, 2008, 08:31 PM
    If he doesn't pay enough to satisfy the creditor they can still start legal proceedings. So making partial payments doesn't help him at all and can hurt. That was bad advice.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 10, 2008, 08:56 PM
    1. It is very possible they were not really an attorney, merely a collection person lying to you, they will tell you they are going to take your TV, your house, your car, tell you the police will be at your house tomorrow,
    Normally if a collection person is talking they are lying. Ask for his state bar number and what state he is an attorney in ( if you wish to)

2. Get everything in writing, do not talk to them on the phone, ask that any demand be in writing.

3. Make a offer in writing for payments, keep a copy for court if you end up there showing your tried to make arrangements but they would not.

Jan 11, 2008, 12:05 PM
    The debt is from 2007 and it's around $1000.00

Jan 11, 2008, 12:20 PM
    Ok so the SOL hasn't expired and its too recent to have been written off and sold to a collection agency.

If you can, see if you can make a good faith payment of maybe 25%, then installments from there.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Credit default [ 1 Answers ]

Can I be sued for credit card default in Texas?

Being Sued for Credit Card Debt, Do I need a lawyer? [ 2 Answers ]

I am being sued for credit card debt that is about 7 - 10 yrs old. I was served a judgement in 2005 but the account had been in active since 2000 and was sold to a collection agency since that time. They have attempted to put a levy on my bank account but have not been able to do so. I'm not sure...

Notice from Lawyer RE: credit card debt [ 9 Answers ]

I received a notice from a lawyer regarding an old credit card debt - threatening a lawsuit and giving me 30 days to respond. I believe that the statute of limitations has passed (it's been over 4 years since I paid on this account). What should I do now? Also if it goes to court and a...

Line of credit default [ 5 Answers ]

I owned a business which went under and now I have a 65,000 line of credit which I have een sued for. My father was a silent partner and is being named in the suit. He has CD's retirment savings. If they file a judgment against both of us and I can not pay it will they go after his money? We...

Lawyer after me for 12 year old Credit Card Debt [ 8 Answers ]

The old story of when I was younger and foolish with my credit card story applies here! I ran a $1000 debt up with a large retail company(eatons) about 12years ago.The company has since then went bankrupt here in Canada in the late 90's. About 7 years ago I cleaned up my bad credit by...

View more questions Search