Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hicarrie Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 9, 2008, 06:35 PM
    Another Bachelor's Degree-Change of Career
    Can you get TWO Bachelor's degrees? If so, do you have to do your General Ed again? How does that work?

I have a Bachelor's Degree in Public Relations, and I work for a nonprofit, but I want to do more and become a Child Advocate or Social Worker. I assume I need to go back to school and get another degree in Human Services. I need to work while in school so it would be easier than getting into a Master's program, and a Master's is not required for such a job. It also doesn't pay enough to warrant a Master's, at least not yet...
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Jan 9, 2008, 06:49 PM
    I had a friend years ago who was a medical doctor. He got tired of being a doctor and went on to be a psychiatrist. He got tired of being a psychiatrist and went on to be a lawyer. Now he is happily a forensic psychiatrist for the State of Pennsylvania and happy as a clam. As far as I know he never had to do his general ed again but kept going back and getting more and more initials put after his name...
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Jan 9, 2008, 06:57 PM
    No, you do not have to do your general studies again. It would be odd if they all did not transfer to a different college. Same with your studies you took for your specific degree. It all gets counted and the only courses you will need to do are those pertaining to the degree you want - unless the college has their own requirement. For example, the second college I attended required everyone to take a course in Native American Studies. It was just part of their curriculum.
    ordinaryguy Posts: 1,790, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Jan 9, 2008, 07:02 PM
    Sure, you can get as many bachelor's degrees as you want. If you do them at the same university, all your general ed requirements should apply to both. If you go to a different university, there might be some mismatch in requirements, or some credits might not transfer or might not be accepted as fulfilling certain requirements, so you're more likely to have to retake some (but probably not near all) general ed courses.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 9, 2008, 07:09 PM
    Not all credits always transfer but most do. You will need to sit down with an advisor and go over what you will need for a second degree.
    rodandy12 Posts: 227, Reputation: 24

Feb 5, 2008, 07:46 AM
    You might want to look a little more closely at a Masters option. Try to look at the "out years" of the career field. If you can get into a Masters program, you can still take undergrad courses. Frequently, the school will want you to take several undergrad courses in the subject before grad courses. In many schools, you will have the option to pursue the Masters or quit with a second undergrad degree at some point down the road.

Also, a Masters in any field qualifies as an advanced degree for the purpose of promotion in many careers and should you decide to change career fields again, the new field might need you to have one.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Finding the right career from my teaching degree [ 5 Answers ]

Hello I am new to this and really need some advice and information. I graduated from a four year honours degree in Social Development Studies (courses, psych,soc, and social studies) and am currently attending teachers college (primary/junior).However, I have come to realize that being a full-time...

Career change [ 2 Answers ]

Would anyone have any good ideas for starting a new career at age 47? I've been a laborer in factories until now. I'm too worn out for so much physical labor that production workers put out.(if you're a worker that is), and sick and tired of not being appreciated for my hard work. I need some...

Career change to underwriting [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am 25yrs old and working in a call centre since 5 yrs. I have completed my commerce graduation. I now wish to make a career in insurance underwriting. Could you suggest to me what education I would need or if I can directly approach an insurance company. Thank You

I need a career change [ 1 Answers ]

At the moment I'm working as a receptionist and now I'm bored and I need something that motivates me. Please help me out.

View more questions Search