Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dunno Posts: 160, Reputation: 19

Jan 9, 2008, 01:00 PM
    My cats don't know how to use the litter box correctly.
    My cats ARE litterbox trained but they can't figure out how to cover "it" up. Instead of using the litter to cover stuff, they try scratching at the sides of the litter box. We thought that getting a covered box would help because they wouldn't be able to grab the side as easily. But it didn't help at all. So my male cat spends A LOT of time trying to cover his messes but never gets anywhere since obviously he can't cover it with the side of the litter box!

Anyone have any ideas? We have 2 cats that are brother and sister and they both do this.
    HSK Posts: 45, Reputation: 9

Jan 9, 2008, 01:32 PM
    Try filling the box up higher with more litter, and if that does not work you could try
    Using different types of litter. Over the years, I have had several cats that do this,
    But we keep our boxes in the basement which makes it not a big smelly deal for my
    House. Also we have many cats, so someone else does the cover up job for later.
    If nothing works, you could invest in one of the automatic boxes that scoop for you.

Jan 9, 2008, 01:46 PM
    We've used 3 different kinds of litter so that doesn't seem to help. Our litter box is upstairs in an attic type room so the smell isn't a HUGE issue but we obviously keep the door open so they can get to it. So once in awhile, the smell is pretty bad. And my male cat spends so much time trying to cover it up, that he smells horrible for quite awhile after getting out of the litter box! Lol

Maybe I should just get a 3rd cat and hope that it can do the cover up job. Lol. Yeah right!

Jan 9, 2008, 02:07 PM
    Some cats are just goofy like that. Another cat or the automatic box looks like your only solution! :) Good Luck

I have a kitten who like to dig forever and play in the litter... he stinks to high heaven... I pray he grows out of that very very soon.

Jan 9, 2008, 02:10 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by HSK
    Some cats are just goofy like that. Another cat or the automatic box looks like your only solution! :) Good Luck

I have a kitten who like to dig forever and play in the litter...he stinks to high heaven...I pray he grows out of that very very soon.
    Looks like I'll be saving my money for a new litter box! Lol

Sounds like we have the same cat. I watched mine play in the litter box this morning. He was in there forever! He's about 5 months old now... I was hoping he would grow out of this... maybe he still will! HA!

Jan 9, 2008, 02:19 PM
    Brother and Sister that are 5 months... how cute. They will certainly grow out of that stage
    With the litter box, so just be patient. My guy is 7 months, and he is getting better with his length of time playing in the box. All my cats have done this to some extent, but not as long as our new guy. Somewhere in the 8 months to a year they grow out of the kitten stage.

Jan 9, 2008, 02:56 PM
    You wouldn't think my male cat is 5-6 months old. He's HUGE! I can't imagine how big he's going to be when he's full grown.

I certainly hope he figures out how to use the litterbox. He puts his paws on the edge of the litter box and scratches at it. THe litter box is taking a beating! Lol

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cats Defacating outside litter box suddenly! [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, My name is Rose. In July 2006 we adopted an 11month old male cat named Handsome. Handsome is a very playful cat and extremely sociable in the home - never once did he hide from strangers who visited us. In January 2007 we adopted a 5 year old male grey cat, Andy, as a companion for...

My new female cats hates all my male cats! [ 3 Answers ]

I just got a new female cat but she is like a year old, all my male cats like her and want to see her buy she just starts hissing at them and they get away... I want them to get along but I don't know how... I have 4 males one is a year old , the othere one is 5 months and the other 2 are 2...

4 cats litter box problem [ 1 Answers ]

We have four adult cats. Cleaning out the litter boxes is a full time job. We clean them out three to four times a day. We have one in a bathroom and two out in the garage, but everyone prefers the one in the bathroom. Do you have any suggestions on how to get them to use the ones in the garage...

Heater won't come on correctly. [ 1 Answers ]

When I use the Auto feature on the heater it won't come on but when I put it on Fan it runs just fine. What's causing this?

View more questions Search