Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    helpinghand Posts: 33, Reputation: 1

Jan 9, 2008, 11:44 AM
    Installing an adjustable door threshold
    I'm getting ready to install an adjustable door threshold in a basement on a concrete slab. This is what the threshold looks like: Find Adjustable Sill Inswing, 36" and other Door Thresholds & Sweeps at Aubuchon Hardware
    It's a standard threshold that you see a lot these days. However, I will be installing this into an existing doorway (removing the old threshold and installing this new one). I've looked all over the place for installation instructions but can't find any. Does anyone know how to install these both on a concrete slab and if it were a wooden sub floor? There doesn't seem to be any place on the threshold to screw down through the threshold into the floor below. Thanks for your help!
    rtw_travel Posts: 347, Reputation: 36

Jan 9, 2008, 12:13 PM
    You normally don't nail or screw the threshold to the subfloor. Teh door frame is nailed through to the rough opening only

You should make the frame as if it were a prehung door... and then move it into the doorway and install it. Use two beads of caulking along the sill for the threshold to sit on.

Edit:... oh, wait. Are you keeping the old door and frame and just replacing a rotted threshold?

Jan 9, 2008, 01:36 PM
    Yes, I'm keeping the old door and frame. All I need to do is install a new threshold. We're installing hard wood floors and this is going to raise the level of the floor above the old threshold. This new threshold will work a lot better. Therefore, I only need to remove the old threshold and install the new one. So, I just need help with how I attach this kind of threshold both to a concrete slab and a wooden subfloor. Thanks!

Jan 9, 2008, 11:45 PM
    Haven't done it but I found this link. The directions seem reasonable - I'd be tempted to get longer SS screws to replace the ones already going through the oak. Use some kind of anchor in the concrete.

Jan 10, 2008, 08:29 AM
    The screws in the oak are only for adjusting the sill heigth up and down, not for securing to the floor underneath. That's the main thing I'm trying to find out. I appreciate the link you sent. The only issue is it doesn't speak to the kind of threshold I want to install. If it were simply a plain wood threshold, sure I could just drill through it and be done. Unfortunately, that's not the case with this threshold. Does anyone have installation instructions for this kind of threshold? Find Adjustable Sill Inswing, 36" and other Door Thresholds & Sweeps at Aubuchon Hardware

Jan 10, 2008, 11:26 AM
    That looks like a standard threshold for an exterior door. You should be adusting the sill height using shims under the threshold, not those screws. I believe the screws on your link only hold the top oak piece, aluminum and bottom wood piece together.
    glavine Posts: 895, Reputation: 87

Jan 10, 2008, 07:20 PM
    This type of threshold is not made for the installation you are doing, what you've bought is used when you are building a door jamb from scratch, and it is fastened from the sides of the jamb,
    So what you need is a regular threshold that has the rubber bump in the middle of the threshold, as for installation there are predrilled holes in it that you'll use screws for wood floor and for concrete you'll need to predrill and use anchors.

Bottom line you need to get another threshold that works with your application

Jan 11, 2008, 06:01 AM
    The 'rubber bump' type of threshold won't work either because the new finished flooring will be higher then the threshold. Actually the 'rubber bump' is the kind of threshold that currently exists and needs to be taken out. The new threshold I'm proposing has a tall face (on the oak wood side) which makes it suitable for raising the floor heigth. Can I not drill down through this new threshold, even though it may not be as visibly appealing? That's what the people told me to do when I purchased it but I thought there might be a better way?
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Jan 23, 2008, 07:34 PM
    Hope I'm not too late on this posting. I have installed a number of adjustable thresholds. I think they are great. My procedure is to measure the distance between the door jams. Cut the threshold to length. Remove the old threshold. Depending on how the jams and door stop are made I either notch the threshold to fit around the stop or I slide the threshold in place against door stops, mark and cut of the door stops so that I can slide the threshold under them. After cutting and fitting the threshold, if I find that the concrete is reasonably clean and smooth I apply a liberal amount of construction adhesive (Liquid Nails). I then put the threshold in place, pressing in down into the adhesive and clean up with mineral spirits.

In most cases the adhesive is more than adequate, it will hold.

If the concrete surface is too rough or broken up, I install two or three screws in the exterior side of the threshold. To do this, put the threshold in place, drill a small pilot hole in each end and the center of the exterior side of the threshold. I let the drill bit mark the location in the concrete. Remove the threshold, drill the holes in the concrete at the marked locations and install plastic or lead anchors. Drill out pilot holes in the threshold to the required size for the screws being used. Counter sink holes in threshold with a metal counter sink bit. Put threshold back in place and check hole locations. Remove, apply construction adhesive, reinstall threshold and screw in place.
    Now, after having said all that, Home Depot has, in the fastener section, a special anchor/screw combination made specifically for this. You put the threshold in place, drill through the threshold down into the concrete. Insert the anchor/screw combination and tighten. I have some these but have not yet had the opportunity to use them.

Jan 24, 2008, 06:34 AM
    Harold - Fantastic answer! This is exactly what I was looking for and no you're not too late on the post. Quick question on the "...special anchor/screw combination made specifically for this." Is the anchor and screw already attached to each other? Can you give a little description on what they look like? Once you've drilled through the threshold and concrete do you remove the threshold to insert the anchor or do you install the anchor/screw down through the hole in the threshold? Thanks again for the great advice!

Jan 24, 2008, 06:42 AM
    The anchors come as a unit, screw and anchor combined. They are inserted through the threshold without removing the threshold. If I remember correctly they come 2 to the package. Later today, I will look in my messy shop, if I can find them and if I can find my camera I will post picture.

Foot note;
    I found the anchors, now if I can find the camera.

Jan 24, 2008, 07:39 AM
    Dd
    Attached Images

Jan 24, 2008, 07:43 AM
    Excellent! Thanks again for all your help, great advice.
    ibrewalot Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 24, 2008, 03:42 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by helpinghand
    I'm getting ready to install an adjustable door threshold in a basement on a concrete slab. This is what the threshold looks like: Find Adjustable Sill Inswing, 36" and other Door Thresholds & Sweeps at Aubuchon Hardware
    Its a standard threshold that you see a lot these days. However, I will be installing this into an existing doorway (removing the old threshold and installing this new one). I've looked all over the place for installation instructions but can't find any. Does anyone know how to install these both on a concrete slab and if it were a wooden sub floor? There doesn't seem to be any place on the threshold to screw down through the threshold into the floor below. Thanks for your help!
    Hi - I recently purchased a similar adjustable threshold. However, it does not seem wide enough for my exterior entry door. The house is 2x6 construction. If I compare the threshold to other doors in the house, it looks like a 2 inch aluminum extension was added to the threshold. Is anyone familiar with a product like this?

Jul 24, 2008, 01:06 PM
    Yes, there is an extension for that purpose. I have seen them and think that I have purchased one. I have a good but short memory, so I can't be sure. The extension interlocks with the threshold and must be installed before installing the threshold. It's going to be hard to find because there is not that much need for them. It would probably be best if you tried to contact the manufactor (probably Frost King) for stores that might carry them. I searched the internet earlier but could find nothing. After thinking about it I must have purchased and use one to know how it interlocks with the threshold.

Jul 25, 2008, 12:50 PM
    Update

Yes I purchase one. I just look at my rear door, that's where I put it.
    ibrewalot Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 26, 2008, 04:45 AM
    Thank you for the response. The only place online I can find that might carry the threshold I need is at Door Sills, Door Frames, Components | Endura Products. Do you know where you purchased your extension? Or is anyone familiar with the endura products?

Jul 26, 2008, 05:50 AM
    It was at a home center and many years ago. It looks like Endura Z sills are available in a several of widths. Maybe you should try to find outlet for Endura products.
    Attached Images

bigfatbaldguy Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 24, 2009, 01:56 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by hkstroud View Post
    It was at a home center and many years ago. It looks like Endura Z sills are available in a several of widths. Maybe you should try to find outlet for Endura products.
    Hey Harold,

I have a question which I'm hoping you can answer, since you have experience with these adjustable thresholds. The previous owner of my house installed one on my front door. I like it, but the oak threshold itself is stained (or not stained) in a way that it matches absolutely nothing in my entry. I'd like to replace it with one that does, but I can't figure out how to remove what's there without destroying something. Is it possible to do this? If not, do they make adjustable thresholds with the wood unfinished?

Thanks,
    Steve

Nov 24, 2009, 08:39 PM

Hi Steve

Yes, at new threshold will come with the wooden adjustment strip unfinished. However, buying a new threshold to get a strip of wood is rather expensive in my world. You should be able to remove the wooden strip. I would say oak strip but one I purchased a couple of weeks ago was some unknown species. I guess manufacturer is trying to cut cost.

Back the adjustment screws all the way out and you should be able to lift the wooden strip out. You should find the strip is shaped like an upside down "U". Easily duplicated on a table saw.

The adjustment screws are trapped in the wood by speed nuts. You could use any nut and washer but if I were replacing the speed nuts I would put a drop of super glue on the threads of the nut after installing the adjustment screw through the strip, just to make sure it does not move as I adjust the height.

If the wood is in good shape you should be able to sand off the existing finish and stain and restain and finish. You should be able to do this in place with no need to remove.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Installing entrance door [ 1 Answers ]

The house I am working on is made of cider blocks. I am replacing the front door. How do I install and attach new pre-hung door to the cinder blocks?

Installing a french door in concrete block [ 3 Answers ]

I’m thinking about installing a new French door in by basement. My question is what is the best way to attaché to the door to the concrete block? Should I cut the opening to the required rough opening size and attach the door directly to the block. Or should I make the opening larger, and frame the...

Installing garage door to clear lift [ 2 Answers ]

I plan to build a garage with a lift in it. I would like to be able to open and close the door with the lift raised but this would mean the garage door tracks would have to follow the rafters (rafter tails sit above garage door) so the door would not hit the lift when it is raised. If I modify the...

Installing a new door in a load bearing wall [ 4 Answers ]

I need to install a door in a load bearing concrete block wall between my garage and utility room. What should be the length, width, and thickness of the lintel plate I install over the rough opening?

Will installing a door interfere w/hvac? [ 1 Answers ]

I have a hallway that connects two bedrooms and a bath. The hall is 3’ X 10’ and the entrance to the hallway from the living area is about 2’ from one end. As you enter the hall, the thermostat is on the opposite wall and the cold air return (only one in the house) is in the ceiling slightly to...

View more questions Search