Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dah55 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 3, 2006, 11:59 PM
    W2K Services.exe using 100% CPU
    My computer started running really slow a few days ago and when I went to Task Manager to see who was using the CPU the services.exe was using 99% and it does so for hours and hours. I rebooted several times to no avail. I went to Administrative Services and stopped all services that could be stopped. There were about 6 that it wouldn't stop. Still no luck. Anybody got a solution?
    LTheobald Posts: 1,051, Reputation: 127
    Ultra Member

Jan 4, 2006, 02:29 AM
    Do you have any spyware protection on your PC? If not, download and run some. You've probably got some spy/malware on your PC. There are three in my signature below - AdAware, Spybot: S&D and MS Antispyware.

All these work best in safe mode. So sound like you know your way around a Windows system so I'll assume you know how to get into that.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Jan 4, 2006, 04:54 AM
    Services.exe
    Hi,
    Here is a link:
    http://www.auditmypc.com/process/services.asp
    It gives some information on what could be a Trojan. Another answer suggests running spyware scans, etc, and I agree with doing that. If you need step-by-step on how to run them:

If you think you already have Spyware/Advertising Ware in your computer, run these as follows:

AdAware at:
    http://www.lavasoftusa.com
    Download: AdAware_SE V 1.06

SpyBot Search & Destroy V 1.4
    http://www.spybot.info/en/download/index.html

CWShredder at:
    http://www.trendmicro.com/cwshredder/
    Click on the "Remove CoolWeb Search" button to download

All of the above programs run better and much faster when run in SafeMode.

To get into SafeMode:
    Re-boot the computer, and immediately after starting up, Press and hold down, F8, at top of keypad.
    When the options show on the screen, use the up and down arrow keys on the keyboard to select
    "Safe Mode".
    Press Enter

It's best to run the AdAware scan first; 3 times; then re-boot.
    Then, run the AdAware scan again 3 times. Then, run SpyBot, and then CWShredder.
    Re- Boot.
    Reason for running so many times:
    Some of these trojans' files can be deleted the first time; leaving some others; but on re-boot, they re-write the files that were deleted.
    Running multiple times deletes most of it the first
    Time.

If you wish to have a great program, after you clean out Spyware/Advertising Ware:
    This program stops this stuff from getting into the computer in the first place, by placing URL's in the browser, stopping them instantly. One of the Very Best free programs anyone can download! Updates of AntiSpyware Definitions are available on almost a weekly basis.

SpyWare Blaster 3.5
    http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/sbupdate.html

Free online scan at:
    http://www.trendmicro.com/spyware-scan/

I understand that the Microsoft Anti-Spyware program is good. I use the Spyware Blaster, and since installing it, have not had one spyware/advertising URL or program get passed it.
    Best of luck.

Jan 4, 2006, 10:59 AM
    W2K Services.exe using 100% CPU
    I have run Spybot, AdAware, Spy Doctor, all to no avail. I will try running them in SafeMode as suggested. On thing I did notice was that in my Task Manager, I have 3 SVCHOST.EXE apps running and 2 SERVICES.EXE running. I did some looking online and it was suggested that one of the "SERVICES.EXE" could be malicious. The good one should be in "System32" and the bad one in WINNT. But there isn't one located in WINNT like all the postings say. I did, however, find one in WINNT\SERVICEPACKFILES\I386. Should I delete this?

Jan 4, 2006, 12:30 PM
    I went into safe mode with command prompt and deleted the services.exe file from the Winnt\servicepackfiles\i386 directory and rebooted and at least for the first hour or so it is working great. Fast as can be.
    philip_napa Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 12, 2007, 02:54 AM
    Having the same problem. Ran Spyware search S & D, McAfee Stinger, Free AVG and nothing. Services.exe is running 100% at 100% of the time.
    I tried searching for 'services' but system is too slow. It probably would take a week.

Recent changes to my system Service pack 4 for Win2k
    Tried a beta of SD 1.5 from betanews (this was removed).
    Archer2 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 31, 2007, 07:50 PM
    I had the same problem after upgrading from SpyBot SD 1.4 to SD 1.5. I was on the verge of reinstalling Windows 2000 when I found the answer on another thread.

The problem is that the Windows 2000 DNS Cache Client service has a bug where it can't deal with very large host files. The enormous host file generated by SpyBot to prevent access to blacklisted sites is the root of the problem.

Solution:
    1) Boot is safe mode. (Not necessary but it speeds up the search and edit.)
    2) Locate the 'hosts' file (most likely in C:\WINNT\system32\drivers\etc)
    3) Remove read only attribute.
    4) Using notepad remove all the entries that SpyBot inserted. (They are clearly
    Marked.)
    5) Restore the read only attribute.
    6) reboot in normal mode.

Here are some links on the subject:

Services.exe spikes to 100% cpu - Window 2000 Help
    How to Disable Client-Side DNS Caching in Windows

Archer2
    perronegro Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 12, 2008, 11:53 AM

[I]For long time I had Adware from Lavasoft. I got lots of Spam.

Suddenly I got Spyware Terminator and then, I did realize that the Spam was coming from Adware Lavasoft.

By this days, trying to find something good is rough. I don't say to use Spayware Terminator, but to me, it has been very useful, it saved me in many times, it told me and did aware me many times.

About the other sites that people say over here, I really don't know. Need to check, lots of time to spend.

And I recommend you to use Firefox and Opera. but you need to know the settings to make them succesfully.

Those browsers have lots of wonderful things, Ad-ons and Widgets, skins, and many many more things, and they stop many things that many antivirus software won't

Opera Web Browser | Faster & safer | Download the new Internet browsers free
    Firefox web browser | Faster, more secure, & customizable
    Free spyware removal and spyware protection - Spyware Terminator
    dasareda Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 16, 2009, 08:54 AM
    See post by Archer 2. I had exactly the same problem and now it appears to be gone. I was afraid to try this at first. It turned out to be easy. After the instructions at the beginning of the "HOSTS" file, every entry was from the spybot operation that I sort of botched. (I copied all those entries to a new file folder in case I need to put them back in.) The number of spybot entries was enormous! No wonder my poor 'puter had a headache. Just follow the instructions - it was a piece of cake. Hope that takes care of every thing. THANK YOU ARCHER2!
    lestercity12 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 21, 2009, 11:24 AM
    I had the same problem and disabling the remote desktop and remote desktop registry editing service fixed my problem instantly. Start control panel. Administrative tools. Services.
    lestercity12 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 21, 2009, 11:24 AM

Fyi when I tried to stop the service there was an error... YOU MUST DISABLE!!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Unearned services [ 3 Answers ]

I received a check today for $ 6,000 from providence country club to photograph events held at the club over the next 12 months. This is the journal entry I did, please let me know whether it is correct. Cash 6000 Unearned revenue 6000 This is the final trial balance adusting entry...

Train services [ 1 Answers ]

How can I get information on train services between Anchorage and Fairbanks?

Vonage and other services like that [ 2 Answers ]

Is anyone using Vonage or similar services where you can use your regular telephones to call other regular telephones via your cable modem? I heard an advertisement and I am wondering what people who are really using it think.

Customer services [ 1 Answers ]

What is the importance of customer services in banks?

View more questions Search