Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    megaman87 Posts: 31, Reputation: 1

Jan 3, 2006, 11:18 PM
    My dog got stung by some kind of insect
    My dog got stung by some kind of insect and it has like a big bump on his lip and I would like to know if anyone knows if that is dangerous and/or I could give him some medicine
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Jan 4, 2006, 03:52 AM
    Cats are my experience, but...

Mammal lips are extra sensitive. Bee stings elsewhere go barely noticed, but on the lip significant swelling is typical.

I would watch pooch closely (for odd behavior) over 48 hours from when you first noticed it.

Don't worry if you see him licking at it frequently, but if he acts tired, unfriendly or in pain after 48 hours, I'd take him to the vet.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Jan 4, 2006, 04:25 AM
    Lip
    Hi, megaman,
    Sometimes a little Baking Soda, mixed with water, to give a paste, rubbed on the lip, will help.
    If it was a bee sting, or even a spider bite, it will help. He/she might lick it off fairly fast, but it might still help. Best of luck.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jan 4, 2006, 04:54 AM
    Keep an eye on him. An external sting isn't too bad, but if he managed to catch and swallow something it may have stung his throat. That can be very serious. Any sign of not eating or trouble breathing calls for immediately getting him to a vet.

Where are you? Stings are usually a summer hazard. Could be a spider bite. They can be very dangerous. If so, he does need to see a vet.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Stung/bitten by a coral... what to do? [ 1 Answers ]

My boyfriend was bitten or stung by a pink coral ( that's what he saw) 2 weeks ago during their diving activity. The area (in the legs) that was stung/bitten by coral is still very itchy. It grows like a mosquito bite, but super itchy. He tried putting it white vinegar but still no effect. I asked...

Insect help! [ 7 Answers ]

Why did insects never evolve (or grow) to sizes more than about 10 to 12 inches long (and, even more strictly no more than an inch or two in diameter)?

Insect help! [ 2 Answers ]

Why did insects never evolve (or grow) to sizes more than about 10 to 12 inches long (and, even more strictly no more than an inch or two in diameter)?

Insect Fossils [ 1 Answers ]

What is the largest insect fossil ever found?

I need insect referances... Any recommendations?! [ 1 Answers ]

At work last night, my co-worker and I noticed a very large and intersting insect. It was well out of reach, prehaps 14-17' above our heads, but in a lighted area. It was resting, like it was diurnal (is that a word... like it was a day creature). It seemed sluggish and unresponsive to...

View more questions Search