Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    amricca Posts: 851, Reputation: 92

Jan 9, 2008, 08:22 AM
    Clogged Shower Head
    I'm getting a white substance in my faucets and shower head that looks like salt, it collects at the faucet filter and clogs up my shower head. Lime away seems to help unclog the shower head. Any idea what it might be? I was thinking it is calcium from the hot water heater because my neighbors (same building) are not having the problem.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jan 9, 2008, 08:28 AM
    Is the white stuff kind of gritty or does it turn to cream between your fingers? Could be lime but it could also be a dip tube in your water heater. Start flushing your water heater one or twice per year to avoid this problem.
    amricca Posts: 851, Reputation: 92

Jan 9, 2008, 09:33 AM
    It is gritty, doesn't break down at all. I'll try to flush the WH. Thanks.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jan 9, 2008, 09:40 AM
    Hard stuff is usually a deteriorating dip tube. Flushing the tank may help a bit but there is a lot more tube still inside. You might want to consider replacing the tube or the entire tank if it is long in the tooth.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Rain shower head & handheld shower head problem [ 4 Answers ]

I have a shower with 2 pipes for showers heads (one on the wall in front, and one on a side wall). The wall in front has a rain shower head on it. The wall to the side has a hand held shower head attached. The pipe with the hand held shower attached has a push button valve to turn the handheld on...

Shower head leaking from bottom of head [ 1 Answers ]

I am trying to install a new hand held shower head and I put a washer into the wall part and stopped it from coming out of there but now the water sprays out of the bottom of the head instead of coming out of the actual head

What to do in clogged up shower? [ 4 Answers ]

What would you do if your shower clogged up and you need to take a bath? And don't say something like go to someone else's house.:confused:

Shower clogged [ 2 Answers ]

No water comes out of my shower,hot or cold water. The water pressure slowly got worse and worse. Now no water at all. I shut the water off and took the single handle off, I looked inside the shower wall, there is one big hole in the center and two smaller holes on each side. I looked at the handle...

Replace shower Plumbing Valve assembly shower head 2 knobs [ 3 Answers ]

In a fiberglass corner shower shell. What I have is an old leaking rusted Shower valve assembly. It leaks from the Shower head that is a hand sprayer with a wall mount from the sprayer. It also leaks around the both the hot and cold water wall mount knobs. The cold water knob the sleeve that...

View more questions Search