Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    13sldr Posts: 237, Reputation: 17

Jan 8, 2008, 09:07 PM
    $300 popping out of no where
    This past weekend, I had 800 and some odd dollars in my account, I bought a box and subs for my car for $900 and I use cash so I didn't over draw, well today I was with my dad and we were up at the mall and I wanted to see how much I had, I asssumed I had around $35, when I checked my blance it said that I had $332

How did I get that 300 dollars in my account, I know I should call the bank and ask about it but I would like to see if anyone has the same experance first

I am banking with Bank of America
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 8, 2008, 09:21 PM
    Often checks ddon't clear the day you write them, so you have to balance your check book, you see with that balance, what checks or bank card charges are out of that.

It is possible that you have some checks you wrote that are not paid by the bank yet.

For example, when I write a check to church for my Sunday donation, it takes almost 7 or 8 days for that check to clear. I wrote one to a grocrey store once that took almost a month to clear.

So just because the balance today says 332, that does not mean that is all of yours to spend, itmay well be just some items have not posted and have not been paid yet.

A good example, I have a personal petty cash expense account, right now, if I went to a ATM, it would show me with about 1300 dollars, but in real life I have about 40 bucks left, the rest of the money is out in checks, but just not cleared the bank yet. That is why you have to keep your check book very closely balanced.

Jan 8, 2008, 09:24 PM
    I don't write checks, I just use my debit card
    oneguyinohio Posts: 1,302, Reputation: 196
    Ultra Member

Jan 8, 2008, 09:25 PM
    Perhaps a deposit had not posted to your account, or someone made an error and only subtracted 500 when it should have been 800?

If you used a bank card for some of the purchases, some of them may not have made it back to the bank yet. You said you used cash, but I wasn't sure if all of your transactions were cash, or just a portion.

Sometimes it takes a few days for bank card purchases to show up in accounts. I don't know if this at all relates to your situation, but have been fooled in the past by seeing a higher balance than I actually had... leading me into overdraft fees.
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Jan 8, 2008, 09:27 PM
    I had that happen once . We had direct deposit and they put a co workers money in my account.

Jan 8, 2008, 09:29 PM
    The whole thing costed $900, but I used like $75 in cash to pay then I paid the rest with my car which was only $830 something, so if that is the case then why did it take $500 of it and not the whole $830 something
    Ultra Member

Jan 8, 2008, 09:30 PM
    I'm betting it is a debit card transaction that hasn't made it back to the account yet.
    Expert

And even with debit cards, it can take some banks, two or three days for it to come off the available balance shown.

I have online banking so I can see exactly what is not cleared but that are received. I have three bank card transactions pending right now.
    And ifyou buy gasoline, often they go in as a credit card charge, and often show only a dollar pending first and then will come back sometimes up to a week latter with the actual charges showing.

Seldom does money ever just appear, although at times esp with handwritten deposiits money is depoisted wrongly, But if there is ever a deposit incorrect into your account, normlaly they will find it within a couple of days and just take it right back out.

Also if it is not your money, if you ever use it, they can require youpay it back latter also.
    Ultra Member

Was all of the purchase made at the same time and same place?

Jan 8, 2008, 09:32 PM
    All right, I paid for the box and subs a few days before I put it into the shop for them to work on my car, the day that they were working on my car, I wanted to make sure that it went okay and there was nothing worng, so I did check and it said I had $35 or what ever, I forgot to mention that part sorry
    Ultra Member

Jan 8, 2008, 09:41 PM
    And now you have the extra $300??

Jan 8, 2008, 09:43 PM
    Yes now I have the extra $300
    Expert

Jan 8, 2008, 09:44 PM
    The bank can see pending items, and if you ask them, they would see that balance,

How did you check your balance, at the atm, the balance at the atm is often not the same as that the clerk will see, since they will also see pending transactions ( well at all the banks I have been to)

This is why keeping and knowing your own balance is so hard but so important.

Just wait another week and most likely your balance will be balanced.
    Ifyou are confused, go into the bank and the nice people there are normally glad to explain all the pending and posted dbits and credits
    Ultra Member

Jan 8, 2008, 09:46 PM
    Made any deposits lately? Maybe a christmas club account or something? Otherwise, I'd just ask the bank for a list of recent transactions...

Jan 8, 2008, 09:49 PM
    I will wait on it, but also I am going to call the bank, because like I said, Saturday it said I had $35 now it says I have $332

I have not bought anything else since then so how could it show that much on Saturday then this much today, as the look of it, nothing was pending on Saturday

Jan 8, 2008, 09:49 PM
    No I haven't made any deposits lately, I am currently out of a job so I have now way of getting money
    Ultra Member

Jan 8, 2008, 09:53 PM
    Good Luck... It sounds like you could use the money! Any chance it was a direct deposit of a final paycheck? I guess I'm just grasping at straws, so I hope you'll give us an update when you find out the unknown part of the situation.

Jan 8, 2008, 09:55 PM
    I wish it was a last pay check, but I didn't have direct deposit at my last jobs, I am only 17, and I have already received my last pay check, but I am going to go talk to the bank tomarrow and find out were it came from before I use it

Jan 9, 2008, 06:40 PM
    I called the bank today to find out why I had $300 more in the bank than I should

What had happen is that my mom gave me a check from a friend of hers, and told me to cash it (which I had done around the 27th ish) and do what ever with it, so I went to the bank and tried to cash it, they couldn't but because we have a jointed account they could deposite it then withdraw it, well when they withdrawed the money it didn't show up so they took $300 out of the other money I had in the bank, they said that it went through on the 31st (I had tried to cash it like a few days before then)

So that is why I now have $300 more dollars in the bank

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Popping pipes! [ 6 Answers ]

Early in the morning, whether it's cold outside or not, the pipes under the master bathroom POP loudly! Is this normal? It wakes me up! What is it and what can I do about it?

Popping Bug [ 3 Answers ]

Ok I need help big time. I have been looking for the answer to this question forever and still can't seem to find anyone who knows of it. Ok I found this bug on the floor in my room and when it gets flipped onto its back it atomatically pops into the air and right back up onto its feet and just...

Popping a boner. [ 3 Answers ]

Well I know it is natural for a guy to not be able to control a boner in there puberty years but like I was making out with my g/f then I just came... I told her I peed myself(hey its not as embarresing is it?) So I don't know what to do...

Popping Noise [ 2 Answers ]

At The End Of The Heating Cycle On My Furnace I Hear A Popping Bang?

View more questions Search