Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sprite318 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jan 16, 2003, 01:24 PM
    Divorce advice
    :-/ Can someone PLEASE help me. I have no idea what steps I should take towards my divorce. I only make $12,000. A year and my husband makes $ 45,000. We need a divorce to settle everything between us and he said he wants a mutual agreement type divorce so it doesn't cost him a lot. I would be willing to do this if I actually new what I should ask for and what I'm entitled to. If anyone can help me, let me know and I can give details to help someone that will give me good advice. I don't want to take everything he has. I just want to survive on my own with 2 children at the same quality of life we had for the past 17 years of marriage. Iv'e been having to ask for financial assistance and many people said I shouldn't have to do that. Thank you so much to the person that will help me. :)
    Dominique Posts: 19, Reputation: 2

Jan 19, 2003, 05:07 PM
    Divorce advice
    Much of the answer to this depends on which state you live in.

You need to go to a local bookstore or Amazon.com and find a do-it-yourself divorce book for your state.

They are really good and useful. Well worth the trouble.
    nadia7526 Posts: 8, Reputation: 2

Jan 26, 2003, 07:23 AM
    Divorce advice
    Hi,
    I do know the law in two states for a do - it - yourself- divorce. California and Utah.
    I`ll start with Utah. Here in Utah we have quick court on the computer. You go to the web site and you can do it online. You take the disk to the court and they print your papers and the court will file them. You should ask for alimony, child support and if you live in a commuity prporty state. You should ask for half of everything that was acquired during the marriage or you and your spouse should try to work out the estate you two have aqired.
    California gives you a packed of papers to fill out. You should include the minuim child support and alimony. :) As far as alimony you have to be with your spouse a minimum 10 year. The judge will most like make him pay alimony so you can live in the manner you are accustom to. As for child support it depends on the judge usually they caculate his income and that's how they come up with the amount he has to pay.

You you need further information please let me know.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Feb 7, 2003, 01:03 PM
    Divorce advice
    From Florida. We have no-fault down here. You can not take anything he brought into the marriage,(house, car etc.) but the state divides what you two have accumulated in your marriage between you. He will also have to pay child support until the children are 18. You may also apply for "spousal rehabilitation " if you need training to upgrade your job so you can support your family. Good luck and God Bless! Tom
    ChickyBaby Posts: 31, Reputation: 4

Jan 28, 2011, 05:01 PM
    Seems easy to me. :)

You should call a few lawyers and explain the situation... that you both want the divorce and both want to work out the issues together.

Then you can pick a lawyer, where you can get the divorce pretty cheap. Ask them their rates and procedure for this type of divorce.

Lawyers have to talk to you for free when you ask them questions. :)

The reason why divorces range so much in price is because splitting up stuff gets so complicated and nasty. Also, if one person contests he divorce, then you have more court costs lawyer fees. But since you two are on the same page... the divorce should be very simple and pretty cheap.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Advice on Giving Advice [ 16 Answers ]

Hey all! I have a slight dilemna and I'd like it if you guys and gals can help me out. I have two friends who are in a relationship together, but things have become kind of rocky between them. The problem is that they are both my friends so they both confide in me and ask for advice. At present...

Divorce [ 4 Answers ]

My friend is going through a divorce and it's been a year and a half and still no final decree has been signed. His wife and her lawyer has done everything in their power to stall the whole process. What I mean by that is she was acusing him of committing adultry, never turned in any evidience for...

Yes/No to divorce? [ 6 Answers ]

My husband of eleven years told me he wasn't in love with me anymore. We have been separated a little over a year now. He has a girlfriend which he says is not serious. I have filed for divorce but for some reason he does not want to divorce me. He says, "he cares because he calls to see how I...

Divorce [ 1 Answers ]

My husband has filed for divorce and we've been separated since June, 2003. He's not provided any support for me or my three children. I can't afford an attorney. Any free resources available on what I need to do? I've responded to the suit, but he's filed for joint custody and my children do...

View more questions Search