Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gv_456 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 8, 2008, 07:47 PM
    US tax payment for L1-B visa holders
    Hi
    I am having L1 visa, working in MA state.
    I came to US on Oct07, I heard if the total number of days is lessthan 183, no need to pay tax to US Govt. what is period of calculation for 183 days?
    Is it from April to March or how it is?
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 8, 2008, 09:04 PM
    Oh, I beg to differ!

You MAY owe taxes for the money earned in this country from October 2007. It depends on your home country and the tax treaty, if any, plus how long oyu will be staying in the U.S.

So, what IS your home country?
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Jan 9, 2008, 01:30 AM
    You must file tax return if you meet the filing requirement. Non residents must file if the income more than $3,400.
    You can file nonresident form 1040NR or 1040NR-EZ if you earned more than $3,400 in 2007. If you earned less than $3,400 you don't have any federal tax. Then you can file to get refund of federal income tax withheld.
    Also if you there is any tax treaty benefit, then you must file Form 8843.
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 9, 2008, 10:17 AM
    MukatA:

I agree with all of your post except the last sentence.

The Form 8843 is for holders of the F/J/M/Q visas or for those who cannot leave the country due to a medical condition.

GV is here under a L visa, which is a work visa; he has no need to file Form 8843 unless he gets sick and cannot return to his home country when his visa expires.
    Visa Taxes Expert Posts: 40, Reputation: 1

Jan 9, 2008, 01:12 PM
    Hello Sir

L1 Tax holders, less than 183 days need not pay Taxes , if they are returning to their home country, as they have a closer connection to the country, based on the closer connection test.

Hope this helps!

Save Taxes on H1B,OPT,F1 and other visas at VisaTaxes.com
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 9, 2008, 01:58 PM
    What VTE says is generally true, but you need to review the provisions of your country's tax treaty with the U.S. (if one exists) to get the specifics.
    Tax Expert

Jan 9, 2008, 10:41 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaTaxExpert
    MukatA:

I agree with all of your post except the last sentence.

The Form 8843 is for holders of the F/J/M/Q visas or for those who cannot leave the country due to a medical condition.

GV is here under a L visa, which is a work visa; he has no need to file Form 8843 unless he gets sick and cannot return to his home country when his visa expires.
    I said "Also if you there is any tax treaty benefit, then you must file Form 8843." There is a word "if." And I added this line in my reply only because you had mention about tax treaty benefits.
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 10, 2008, 11:04 AM
    I believe you are confusing Form 8843 (Statement for Exempt Individuals and Individuals with a Medical Condition) with Form 8833 (Treaty-Based Return Position Disclosure Under Section 6114 or 7701(b)).

Jan 10, 2008, 11:39 AM
    Hello

In general if you stay less than 183 days, and going back to country, you can avoid paying US taxes, based on the Closer Connection test.

This is straightforward and simple.

Hope this helps!
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 10, 2008, 12:14 PM
    Closer Connection may apply; depends on what the tax treaty says.

Jan 10, 2008, 06:06 PM
    Agreed!
    Tax Expert

Jan 11, 2008, 08:43 PM
    Yes I made a mistake. I where ever I said form 8843, it is form 8833 (Treaty based return position disclosure).

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

W4 Form For L2 visa holders working on EAD [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am L1 visa holder and my wife is on L2 and working on EAD. I would like to know if any deductions could be shown on her W4 form as I am already showing her as a dependent on my W4 form. I am also filing my tax returns as the head of household and we have no kids or dependents. What is...

Taxes for H1B Visa Holders [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have been trying to understand my tax implications when I go to the US on an H1B Visa, accompanied with my wife and two kids (all on H4 Visa). I have read quite a lot of stuff on the IRS website but am a bit conused about some points. These are mentioned below: 1. What is a tax year by US...

Taxes for J1 visa holders in Massachusetts [ 1 Answers ]

:) Hi, This is my 2nd year doing research like a postdoc from chile in Massachusetts. For my maintenance I do receive fellowship payments from an international foundation. Last year I paid both federal and state taxes but now I've heard that j1 visa holders don't need to pay taxes for the first 2...

H1B and H4 visa holders [ 5 Answers ]

Dear AtlantaTaxExpert, I am an H1B visa holder and my wife has H4. She is not allowed to work in Usa, her visa is a depenent one. I tried to do my tax return online and they won't let me to file her as my dependent. It says that your spouse cannot be your dependent. What is your advice?Can I get...

View more questions Search