Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Knucklez Posts: 129, Reputation: 2

Jan 8, 2008, 07:40 PM
    Watersoftner installation - valve size?
    So I have a new sears kenmore watersoftner to install. I was just forming my by-pass system when it struck me, did I buy the wrong valve for this job? Three valves, all the same.. I wonder this because when I look at the valve (a "mini ball valve") it is 1/2" on both ends which is good cause my house uses primarily 1/2" copper. But when I look into the valve, I see the actual arpeture is much smaller than 1/2" it looks more like 1/4"

Is this going to act like a restrictor to the flow rate for the rest of the house?

Thanks in advance for your advice

Ps. My water softener is being installed such that my whole house will have soft water EXCEPT for kitchen sink cold line, and any exterior house taps.

Knucklez
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jan 9, 2008, 08:33 AM
    Are you saying that all lines including your main trunk are 1/2"? The softners I have installed were all on a 3/4" supply. 1/2" is fine for a sink or tub but not for the entire house supply of hot water.

Jan 9, 2008, 06:15 PM
    The water supply from the city is 3/4" galvenize. but then it goes to 1/2" copper, and then to the water meter and then to the rest of the hosue.

The actual fitting on the water softener is 1" male, so i need a monstrosity of a reducor to get to 1/2". Of course, they do not sell any 1" female threaded, to 1/2" rigid copper converter.

Anyway, I discovered the answer to my question myself. There is a "full flow" ball valve that I should have bought. So I brought back my other valves and will install the ones that have a 1/2" inner diameter in the valve.

Knucklez
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Jan 9, 2008, 06:48 PM
    I hope your using dialectric unions for the copper to galvanized connections to prevent corrosion.

Look a little closer to your distribution. You might find that there is a 3/4" cold trunk to the water heater and then 3/4 for a while, finally settling to 1/2"

Jan 18, 2008, 08:53 PM
    No, its all 1/2" everywhere.

The copper to galvenized, I don't think anything special was done. The plumber just used pink thread tape and tightened her up.

Are you worried about corrosion or about good electrical ground for the house?
    iamgrowler Posts: 1,421, Reputation: 110
    Ultra Member

Jan 18, 2008, 09:35 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Knucklez
    so i have a new sears kenmore watersoftner to install. i was just forming my by-pass system when it struck me, did i buy the wrong valve for this job? three valves, all the same.. i wonder this because when i look at the valve (a "mini ball valve") it is 1/2" on both ends which is good cause my house uses primarily 1/2" copper. but when i look into the valve, i see the actual arpeture is much smaller than 1/2" it looks more like 1/4"

is this going to act like a restrictor to the flow rate for the rest of the house?

thanks in advance for your advice

ps. my water softener is being installed such that my whole house will have soft water EXCEPT for kitchen sink cold line, and any exterior house taps.

Knucklez
    You should exchange the valves for 'full port' ball valves.
    Uber Member

Jan 18, 2008, 10:08 PM
    I'm worried about corrosion, but you bring up a valid ground point. The ground point depends on where the main electrical panel is and the water pipe relative to the box.

Apr 11, 2008, 07:54 PM
    Exchanged for full port ball valves.. installation went fine. System working first try - no leaks!

Who's good?

---> Knucklez!

Ps. I tried to document my work on installation but my camera died and I lost the pics.. sorry!
    Uber Member

Apr 11, 2008, 11:27 PM
    Did you by chance get a water softener system that would deal with iron or is iron not a problem for you?

How Select the Best Water Softener - How To Guide - Removing Iron - Potassium chloride

Apr 13, 2008, 08:12 AM
    Softner does not deal with iron. I have no idea if this is a problem or not as I did not have my water tested.

I'm on city water. So I'm not too woried about it. The only reason I got a softner was because my wife was concerned about mineral deposit stains on the appliances and fixtures. The kenmore 300 series softner I purchased was on sale for $400 and I had a $200 gift certificate... I also bought when canadian dollar was 10% higher than american last year and taxes in buffalo is only 8%. So it was a once in a lifetime bargain, so I figured "can't hurt".

Knucklez
    Uber Member

Apr 13, 2008, 08:17 AM
    The reason why I suggested iron is because of the galvanized pipe. Rust is iron and it can leach into the water.

When iron gets really bad, orange discolororations occur at the fixtures and your hot water can smell like sulfur, which requires a different anode rod.

May 24, 2008, 09:12 AM
    Ah... good point.

Thankfully all the galvanized pipe in this house is progressively being removed. I'm working on the replacing galvanized with copper in the remodeled kitchen today even!

You can follow my progress and make comments on it here

Knucklez

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Queen size frame-full size mattress [ 2 Answers ]

I have a full size mattress set and want to know if it can be used with a queen size bed frame? I heard there was a kit that can be used to make it fit.

Full size headboard, Queen size bed Frame [ 2 Answers ]

Where can I buy attachments that will allow me to fasten my full size headboard to my queen size bedframe? I am having a bit of trouble finding one.

3 valve shower diverter installation [ 1 Answers ]

I recently purchased and installed a new diverter for my 3 valve shower setup. However, when I turn the diverter to shower I get very little water pressure to the shower head and no water coming from the faucet. Is there any trick to properly installing the new diverter to allow for full water flow...

Check Valve Installation [ 1 Answers ]

I have a waterfall for my pool which is very tall. The pump was installed at the top for some reason and must suck the water out of the pool (approximately 30 feet up). It takes a long time and I'm afraid the pump will burn out. I prefer not to install a bulky check valve at then end of the line...

Pressure release valve installation [ 2 Answers ]

I recently had a leak by my city meter here in San Antonio Texas and was told by the plumber that the installation was not correct. The depth for the manual shut off valve and PRV was only 4-5 inches below the grass and that the PRV should be next to the meter before the manual shut off valve. I...

View more questions Search