Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    smtbdt Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 8, 2008, 04:28 PM
    Air in lines and loss of pressure in hot water.has plumber at wits end.
    Ok first off my husband is a commercial plumber and only deals with installing new stuff but this is stumping him as he has tried several things when he has had the time to mess with it.

Several weeks ago we noticed that our hot water lines... mainly in the kitchen and one bathroom faucets have terrible air in the lines. Not too noticeable in the washer, downstairs wash tub, showers and other faucet. Also our hot water lines have lost pressure. Extremely noticeable in the washing machine, which I am assuming would be the closest to the hot water heater. And our hot water doesn't seem to be as hot or staying as hot as it always has.

He has checked the hot water heater, changed out a part of the pipes that he said was clogged a bit with hard water, we had the town come out and flush the lines since we are at the end of the line. The town says we have no leaks outside. My husband says the elements in the heater aren't going bad. He is at his wits end with it. He says the only other thing he know is try getting a new hot water heater but since he doesn't work in residential plumbing I thought I would ask on here and see if I could get some suggestions before doing so.
    Thanks so much!!
    doug238 Posts: 1,560, Reputation: 62
    Ultra Member

Jan 10, 2008, 05:06 AM
    Tell him his dip tube is failing. Do a search on dip tubes. As for the air, I would need more info.

Jan 10, 2008, 06:14 AM
    Thank you SO much! I will pass that information on to him. After reading a bit on them I believe that sounds like it might just be the problem. Him being a plumber and he has asked around to several guys that work for his company no one has mentioned the dip tube. Hopefully this will solve the issue. We will work on that and then work on the air issue. Thanks again!!

Jan 13, 2008, 02:04 PM
    After talking with some others and asking about the dip tube they decided that was the problem so we replaced the hot water heater. That also solved out air problem. Thanks so much again!
    doug238 Posts: 1,560, Reputation: 62
    Ultra Member

Jan 14, 2008, 04:55 AM
    If you don't keep it dust free around the bottom of the heater, assuming it is gas, you will be asking us why you have no hot water in about 3 years.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Loss of water pressure [ 7 Answers ]

Hi, I have been having problems with my well for the past few weeks. The well water level is good and I have replaced the pump and the pressure tank. I have a 30/50 pressure switch. The switch has been working great for the first two days then today when I went to do the laundry it didn't kick...

New hot water tank installed, loss of water pressure [ 1 Answers ]

After the installation of a new hot water tank, we have less pressure which is only noticeable when trying to fill the tub. Any ideas? Thank you.

Loss of Water Pressure [ 1 Answers ]

I was doing the dishes the other day and the cold water went out. I can get Hot water, but not cold at the kitchen sink. I checked the nobs below the sink and the cold has a leak coming from the nozzle. Any help would be great. Thanks

Loss of water pressure [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I realize this question has been asked before but the proposed solutions have not corrected my problem. I have recenly renovated my kitchen and have added an island which includes my sink and dishwasher. After the plumbing had been connected, I noticed a considerable reduction in the...

Loss of Water Pressure [ 7 Answers ]

Our house is on a slab. We have copper pipes. Just recently and rather abruptly we began to lose water pressure. When we turn on the shower the water pours out for about 10 seconds and then drops off to a near trickle. We have not changed or added any fixtures. The showers are both single handle...

View more questions Search