Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kendravixie Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jan 3, 2006, 03:54 PM
    Apartments and Cosigning Requirements
    A friend of mine is trying to find an apartment. A rental has come up, but the landlord is requiring that he not only cosign, but have someone in the CITY cosign for him as well.

He is
    - from out of state.
    - had a house foreclosed on him before.
    - does have pets (1 cat and 1 dog).

Is it LEGAL for a landlord require someone in town, not just a family member, cosign for the individual? Especially since they attended and spent most of their life in another state?

What's the legal requirements for a cosign?
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Jan 3, 2006, 03:58 PM
    A landlord is able to require any number of things of a person who does not meet the guidelines... including, I'm sorry to point out, a Local Cosigner.

I do it myself for 1 reason: it's not financially realistic to attempt to pursue a co-signer who is out of the city or state.

A suggestion: Tell your friend to offer the landlord last month's rent in advance. We frequently accept that in lieu of a local co-signer.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

MD Requirements [ 7 Answers ]

Has anyone here gone to med school with a non-science background? I have a BBA, and am wondering if I can do med school. Just want to hear what you guys think. Thx

Conduit requirements for basement wiring [ 1 Answers ]

I am finishing a basement with stud wall and dry wall. Is there any need for conduit to carry the wires behind the dry wall? I know for an unfinished basement wiring below grade must be in conduit but must it if the walls are finished? Thanks Dschaar

Trap Diameter requirements [ 5 Answers ]

Tom, I had asked some questions previously for roughing in plumbing for a basement. I have a few more questions for you. 1) Does code require the trap to be the same diameter as the trap/waste arm? For my wetbar I ran a 2" horizontal waste line to where it is roughed at of the wall. Does...

Chimney Height Requirements [ 3 Answers ]

I'm having a new chimney built and I understand the 2-10-3 rule regarding height. But I don't know if I'm allowed to include a chimney cap as part of the measurement. Any help appreciated.

Calculating air conditioning requirements [ 2 Answers ]

Hello all, Our residential building has to replace the air conditioner for the lobby and guess who's been asked to research it. The current A/C unit is attached to the ceiling in the basement and supplys air to the duct work leading to the lobby. A label on the unit indicates 2 tons. It's...

View more questions Search