Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lottie66 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 8, 2008, 01:38 PM
    Dollar silver certificate
    I would like know the value of a mint condition series 1957A dollar bill #L75552165 A.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Jan 23, 2008, 05:20 PM
    I do apologize that no one has come along to answer your question. I was hoping that a person who has a current book on the value on coins and paper money would answer your post. In the meantime, at least here is an attempt at an answer.

The quotes below are from the following site. Quick Reference Guide to U.S. Paper Money Values

$1 Silver Certificates, 1935 and 1957

Most 1935 and 1957 series Silver Certificates are worth a very small premium over face value. Circulated examples typically sell for $1.25 to $1.50 each, while Uncirculated $1 Silver Certificates are worth between $2 and $4 each. Exceptions to these values include Star notes (where the serial number is followed by a small star in place of the suffix letter), and other various varieties and blocks including 1935A Hawaii and North Africa notes, Experimental notes, and various rare blocks and serial number ranges. Please refer to the Standard Guide to Small Size U.S. Paper Money (1928 to date), by Dean Oakes and John Schwartz, for more information.
    Flying Blue Eagle Posts: 2,056, Reputation: 225
    Ultra Member

Feb 3, 2008, 09:26 PM
    Lottie66 - Your 1957A Is worth as per 2008 book values is - UNC> $ (.00 to $ 15.00. And in VF-20 - $3.00 to $4.00 . Signtures on the bill should be ( SMITH- Dillon ) The plate numbers are ( 1620. & 1620 * ::: Good Luck & GOD BLESS.. IF I HELPED RATE MY ANSWER BELOW ::: F.B.E.
    Uber Member

Feb 4, 2008, 12:22 AM
    Good job, Flying Blue Eagle! But, what would be the indicators as far as the conditions of bills of paper money, please? Posting that would help others to know what constitutes the various degrees of the grading of them. Thanks!
    Ultra Member

Feb 4, 2008, 11:19 PM
    Clough - Good evening my friend, here is what you asked for. It is rather long ,but I will try to finish it tonight. I haven't learned where I could scan it on my printer yet and then transfer it to this. Ive got find out. They did'nt have these things when I grew up. IF something like these had been just mentioned back then the next time he or she turned their head , they would have been looking at a padded cell. O.K. - here goes .-:: This is stright out of the 2008 Red book ON US PAPER MONEY > ::: It is how to GRADE paper money, what to look for, what the different conditions of the money is for the different grades are, where the money was printed makes a big difference also. I DO Recommend THAT INTERESTED PERSONS WOULD PURCHES A BOOK OF THERE OWN< AND SPEND A LITTLE TIME Studying IT < Books on coins& paper money can gotten at ( WALMART<IN BOOK DEPT> & AT BOOKS A MILLION< ALSO AT THE LOCAL YOU CAN SIT AND READ OR CHECK ONE OUT> I DON"T MIND LOOKING THINGS UP < BUT THEY WOULD LEARN MORE BY DOING AND I LOVE DOING THIS << IT"S SOMETHING GOT INTERESTED IN AT A YOUNG AGE> (The first grade is :: #1-;;( G-4)- It is a note that is badly worn,with margin or body tears, frayed margins,and missing corners. ) #2- ( VERY GOOD_{VG-8] & {VG-10}-- ( A note that has had considerable wear or circulation and may be limp, soiled, or dark in appearance, and might even have a small tear or two on a edge0 :: #3- ( Fine- {F-12 & F-15)-- A fine note showes evidence of much more CIRCULATION and has lost it's crispness and very fine detail, and creases are more pronounced, although the note is still not seriously soiled or stained.:: #4-VERY FINE- ( VF-20,VF-25, VF-30,And VF-35 )- A note that has been in circulation , but not actively or for long. It still retains some crispness and is still choice enough in it's condition to be altogether desirable . It may show fold or creasees , or some light smudges from the hands a past generation. Sometimes , VERY FINE notes are the best available in certain rare issues,and they should accordingly be cherished just as much as UNCIRCULATED notes.) :: #5 ( Extremely FINE - { E-F ) ( EF-40) and ( EEF-45) _ A note that shows some faint evidence of CIRCULATION, although it will still be bright and retain full crispness. It may have two or three minor folds or creases but NO tears or STAINS and NO Discoloring.):: #6 ( ABOUT UNCIRCULATED)- ( AU ) - ( AU-50 ) - ( AU-55) - ( AU-58) - A brightcrisp note that appears new but upon close examination shows a trace of very light use, such as a corner fold of faint crease . ABOUT UNCIRCULATED is a borderline condition, applied to a note that may not be quite UNCIRCULATED , but yet is obviously better then an average extremely fine note. Such notes cmmand a price only slightly below a new note and are highly desirable.) :: #7- ( UNCIRCULATED} -{UNC}-{ UNC-60} - A note that showes no trace of CIRCULATION. IT might not have perfect centering and might have one or more PINHOLES COUNTING, SMUDGES, or other evidence of improper handling, while still retaining its original crispness. Sometimes large notes will be encountered which are obviously UNCIRCULATED, BUT which have some tiny pinholes . IT was customary in the old days to spindle or pin new notes together, and that is why so many UNCIRCULATED notes might show tiny pinholes . Such imperfections do not generaklly impair the choice appearance of a new note, and such notes are to be regarded as being in UNCIRCULATED CONDITION , although they generally command slighty lower prices then notes in perfect conition.);; # 8- ( CHOICE UNCIRCULATED) - {CH-UNC}& UNC-63}- IT is a UNCIRCULATED NOTE that is fresher and brighter then the normal for its particular issue. Almost as nice as GEM UNCIRCULATED but not quite there. Must be reasonably well centered.) -# 9- ( GEM UNCIRCULATED)- { GEM-UNC} & { UNC- 65 } - A note that is flawless, with the same freshness, crispness, and bright color as when first printed . IT must be perfectly centered,with full margens , and free of any marks , blimishes, or traces of handling.) :::::: Clough I hope you can make this out OK. Ill say ,see youal latter, Have a good day and GOD BLESS. YOUR FREIN F.B.E.
    Uber Member

Feb 4, 2008, 11:38 PM
    Great job, Flying Blue Eagle! Maybe there is some way that we might put a sticky on this site concerning the grading of coins and paper money. I think that it would be good to work on something like that.

What do you think?
    Ultra Member

Feb 5, 2008, 12:30 AM
    Clough - Yes it would, except this one is for paper money . So we would have to write one on coins, ON coins every coin has a different discription for what every grade has for the different grades. It would take a long time un less it was done by a copying machine. And one thing we would have to watch out on I believe I'ts called IN FRIGMENT rights from the book co's. Thanks for your quick return . Let me know IF you know what I just Wrote about .Thanks F.B.E.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How much is my 1935E series silver certificate one dollar bill [ 9 Answers ]

I have a 1935E series silver certificate one dollar bill and would like to know how much it is worth.

What is 1928 Silver Certificate Dollar Worth [ 11 Answers ]

I have a 1928 Silver Certificate One Dollar Bill in very good shape. The serial number is D83688073A, with blue threads. I also have two Two Dollar bills from 1928, B95161941A and D59991848A, both are in decent shape. I also have a One Dollar bill from Canada, 1937, C/N3781626, in fair...

1935E Silver Certificate Dollar [ 7 Answers ]

I would like to find out the value of an old 1935E Silver Certificate Dollar Bill. I also have a 1957 Silver Certificate Dollar Bill and would like to find out how much it is worth. I can scan these bills and e-mail them to someone if they can assist me with this.

Value of a silver certificate dollar [ 2 Answers ]

I have a silver certificate dollar series 1935e. The serial number is V02133173G. THe condition is fair. One minor rip and there is 2 folds. I am looking for the value of this. Thank You. Mandy Reigle

Silver Certificate Dollar Series 1935E [ 2 Answers ]

What is this dollar worth?

View more questions Search