Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    stcopa Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 3, 2006, 01:21 PM
    Hijacked
    My computer has been hijacked by something called internet optimizer. How do I get rid of it?
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Jan 3, 2006, 01:26 PM
    If you can get to the following website, download and install Microsoft AntiSpyware:
    http://www.microsoft.com/athome/secu...e/default.mspx

Make sure you get all the updates first then do a full scan and remove all it finds.
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Jan 3, 2006, 01:27 PM
    Nice and easy really, just download and run Adaware and Spybot and this will remove this problem.

This kind of thing is dealt with in a lot of other threads in this forum.

Hope this helps

Next...

Instructions for use:
    Download and run SpyBot

Install the program and launch it.

Go to Start > Programs >Spybot > Search & Destroy and choose Spybot S&D

Close ALL windows except Spybot S&D
    Click the button to "Search for Updates" and download and install the Updates.
    Next click the button "Check for Problems"
    When Spybot is complete, it will be showing "RED" entries "BLACK" entries and "GREEN" (GREEN) entries in the window
    Put a check mark beside the RED entries ONLY.
    Choose "Fix Selected Problems" and allow Spybot to fix the RED entries.
    Reboot...

Next...

Download and run AD-Aware

Install the program and launch it.

1. Launch Ad-Aware SE and run the WebUpdate feature. (Click on the Globe icon > Click connect > Click OK > Click Finish.)
    2. Set up the Configurations as follows:
    -- Click the Gear wheel at the top of the Ad-Aware window
    -- Click General > Safety & Settings: Check (Green) all three.
    -- Click Tweak > Cleaning Engine > UNcheck "Always try to unload modules before deletion".
    3. Click "Proceed"
    4. Click "Scan Now"
    5. Deselect "Search for negligible risk entries" as negligible risk entries (MRU's) are not considered to be a threat.
    6. Select "Search for low-risk threats"
    7. Run the scanner using the Full Scan (Perform full system scan) mode.
    8. When the scan has completed, select Next.
    9. In the Scanning Results window, select the "Scan Summary" tab.
    10. Check the box next to each "target family" you wish to remove.
    11. Click next > Click OK.

Reboot...

Also to really cover yourself run Trend Housecall on FULL settings to make sure you are clean.
    qwertyman Posts: 109, Reputation: 15

Jan 3, 2006, 03:47 PM
    Good recommendations so far. Also if you don't have a FIREWALL (software firewall that is) you can get one for free from Zone Alarm. http://www.zonelabs.com/store/conten...=dbtopnav_zass

Its very easy to use... It takes you through all the steps...

Thanks
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Jan 4, 2006, 06:51 AM
    Spyware
    Hi,
    The other answers you received are what I would have suggested. Just to add something, run the scans in SafeMode.
    When you boot up, immediately start pressing the F8 key (top of keypad) and releasing, keep it up until you get to a "menu" screen, then select SafeMode.
    The scans run faster, and are more effective.
    Best of luck.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Hotmail Account Hijacked [ 5 Answers ]

Hiya All Got a horrible problem, cannot get into my hotmail.com address, Hotmail .co.uk is OK. Am I right in thinking I've been hijacked, and if so is there any way I can retrieve all the stuff I've got in that account? Done what I can think of. Ad-Aware, Spybot, scanned with AVG free, plus House...

Internet Connection Hijacked [ 9 Answers ]

My internet connection has been hijacked. Every time I connect my username and dial up phone connection are changed. I reset them again and again but very I reconnect they are changed. I think something has hijacked my default settings and keeps restoring there own one. The number they put in...

Hijacked Home Page [ 3 Answers ]

My Home Page is continually hijacked. I have run all the latest updates for SpyBot and Adware6 (As of July, 31, 2004). They have removed an incredible amount of "junk" from my computer however I still get a homepage listed, res://gvwda.dll/index.html#44272. I have to enter "Tools" and manually...

My browser is being hijacked... [ 6 Answers ]

Every time I open a browser window it changes to "Searchfrombrowser". I google'd it and I think it's part of NewDotNet but I can't find ANYTHING that will get rid of it. Any suggestions? Many thanks! GWI :-/

Hijacked Browser [ 2 Answers ]

I got to this forum because I did a search for "DSO," which is what spybot said I have. I think I effectively removed it following all previous instructions. Thanks. But, my problem still remains... When ever I open IE browser it is hijacked to http://ssearch.biz/?wmid=1010 and I can't use the...

View more questions Search