Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ourfamilyof4 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 3, 2006, 01:17 PM
    14 year old debt
    My husbands ex wife opened an account with a jewerly company in 1992. I just got a letter today 2006 that we owe all this money. Can they come back after 14 years and demand money after not asking for anything before? Also shouldn't that be the ex wife's responcibitly cause she openind the account without his knowing? They have also added over $2,000.00 in interest for an account that we knew nothing about. HELP!!
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Jan 3, 2006, 02:02 PM
    It looks like your Statue of Limitations has run out.

See this website if you are an American resident:
    http://www.cardreport.com/laws/statu...mitations.html

What kind of account was it? Credit card, written note? Were they married at the time? Why was this not brought up in the divorce agreement/hearings.

Unless this is a written contract and you live in the states of Rhode Island, Ohio, or Kentucky, I think you are home free.

However, after the account was opened in 1992, did the ex wife still use the account?

Jan 3, 2006, 03:01 PM
    14 year old debt
    Thanks Captain Forest for the reply. To answer some of your questions, one.. it has only gone to a collection agency after 14 years. Two, the wife opened it, paid 3 payments on it without husbands knowledge and has not made another payment and my husband knew NOTHING about it when the divorce was finalizing. We JUST found out about it today! I have looked for statue of limitions but the only answer I can get is for lawsuits not a debt collections. If you can help me anymore I would greatly appericiate it. Also it is a jewerly store account.
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Jan 3, 2006, 07:33 PM
    According to the website, they have no legal recourse to come after you. They can try to collect the money from you forever, but they can no longer sue you.

What you need to know is when did the ex wife stop making payments? That is when the SOL will start from.

And where is the ex wife in all this? Why not go yell at her to pay her bill?
    klmgb Posts: 114, Reputation: 13

Jan 3, 2006, 09:21 PM
    I had a similar situation with my ex wife, well not similar, exactly the same, just not 14 years. Since I didn't sign when she opened the account and I had never used the account I called the company and finally after going up their management got them off my a--. I had to get a little mean. Make sure you check your credit report to see if this is on it. I'm in Va, state laws may differ
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Jan 4, 2006, 05:25 AM
    Old debt
    Hi,
    I would personally seek out a lawyer with this type of experience, and ask him/her. You might need Professional help with a lawyer, if this ends up in court.
    It would seem that the debt is now too old to try collecting.
    mr.yet Posts: 1,725, Reputation: 176
    Ultra Member

Jan 4, 2006, 05:28 AM
    14 year debt.
    Suggestion: Send them a letter certified mail, stating the sol has expired, a request that all contact be done in writing, IMPORTANT-"THat you dont want to contract with them on this matter." They will try to get you to reaffirm the debt.

Jan 4, 2006, 09:21 AM
    Thanks
    I want to thank everyone who responded to my ad. I have finally consulted a lawyer and was told that the sol is up, and if they try to sue me I can fight it in court because of the sol being up. The last payment was made in July of 1992. That's almost 14 years ago. I will let everyone know that the attorney did tell me to NOT contact them for then I will be admitting to the debt. So I guess I will get the many phone calls until they decide to give up! Thanks all of you so much and I will be sure to come back if I have anymore problems for all of your advice. THANK YOU SOOOOO MUCH!! :D
    Ver Posts: 17, Reputation: 1

Jan 4, 2006, 10:57 PM
    Yes, the SOL being up doesn't mean they can't file a suit, it just means you can use it as your affirmative defense to have the suit dismissed as being time barred. Then the judge will throw it out of court, more than likely even before it ever gets to the point of a hearing.

Also the site posted for the SOL's above is no longer accurate, they were changed in some states several years ago, this site lists the new, corrected information:

http://www.carreonandassociates.com/...m#Pennsylvania

Just scroll to your state.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

20 year old debt [ 9 Answers ]

I'm 41 years old. When I was about 22 in 1986 I bought a car from a dishonest salesman. When I realised my mistake I refused to pay another dime on the payments and purposely allowed the car to be reposessed. This debt was on my credit report for 10 years. After silence for approx 20 years I get a...

Full-year for Federal, Part-year for State ? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I am an alien and comply with the qualification for full-year tax resident for Federal, but not with my state's where I should be considered as a part-year tax resident. Is it a problem if my status are different for federal and state, or does my federal status "overwrite" my state status...

6th Year F1, Converted to H-1B last year [ 3 Answers ]

Hi ATE, Thank you so much for everything you have done for all of us. I really really appreciate your help and advice. You are THE man! My case is like that: I came to US on F1 in 08/2000, and had been on F1 until I got my H-1B visa on Nov. 1st last year. From last May to last Oct. I...

6th year of f1/opt [ 5 Answers ]

HI, I was in my 6th year of f1+opt during 2005. I heard that I can still file as non-resident alien if I am able to file a statement claiming closer connection to home(india). My h1b started on feb 2006. If I can file as a non-resident alien for 2005, what forms do I need to fill out, and is...

Pregnant 16 year old, by 14 year old [ 5 Answers ]

I would like to know if anyone knows the rape laws in Ohio. There is a situation that I need to find out. I know a 16 year old girl pregnant by a 14 year old boy. Is their a rape law that would apply. Can the 14 year old boys parents go after the 16 year old girl or can the girls parents go...

View more questions Search