Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    phileefan5 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 3, 2006, 11:13 AM
    How to make fan run auto
    Hello, I have been trying to browse the website, trying to find out how to wire my t-stat so that it will run on auto.. I have 24v transformer, red, and white, and I connected it to the back of my t-stat, the fan turns on only when it turn the t-stat switch to heat no auto or on function. however I was reading that it would need a third wire to make it run on auto? Terminal g but I have no I dea where to hook that to on the furnace side? Do I have to buy a new really, or a new gas valve, I only have heat. No A/c any help will be appreciated thank you.
    wheatnbarley24 Posts: 63, Reputation: 3

Jan 3, 2006, 12:05 PM
    The best thing to do is buy a t- stat with the auto and on function and replace it. Sounds like all you have now is an on off switch
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jan 3, 2006, 12:15 PM
    Is the fan coming on now when the heat does? That is how it should work on Auto. If you want to be able to have it on without the heat, you would select ON or manual at the thermostat. For that to work, you would need a wire running from the G terminal of the thermostat, to the G terminal of the furnace. If you don't have a third wire, you would ether need to add one. Or you could install a switch at the furnace. Any simple little switch would work. Connect one side to the R terminal and the other to the G. Then the fan would come on anytime the switch is in the on position.

Jan 3, 2006, 01:04 PM
    Thank you for the prompt reply, yes the heat comes on now, but I just wanted to put it on auto and set the temperature on the t-stat and just be automatic, I guess my ultimate goal is to set the temp and forget it,and I want it to maintain that temp by turning on and off autmatically. Right now when I set the temp at 65 the furnace fan keeps running until its so hot I have to manually turn it off myself.. thank you in advance for the great advice. Any other things I should do.. to the furnace side?
    Uber Member

Jan 3, 2006, 04:50 PM
    How long have you had that thermostat and furnace? Most thermostats work as simple on off switches. With the thermostat set to heat and auto, when the room cools, they switch power from the red wire to the white white wire. At the furnace, the power from the white wire opens the gas valve or what ever is needed to start a heat cycle. Once combustion starts the blower starts automatically by a timer or limit switch. When the room warms up, the switch in the thermostat opens, cutting power to the white wire, closing the gass valve. The blower shuts off soon after.

If you continue to get warm air after the thermostat should have shut off, try removing one wire. If the blower stops in a few minutes, the thermostat isn't working. If warm air continues for more than a few minutes, there could be a problem with the furnace. Check it and let me know. I will try to help figure it out.

Jan 3, 2006, 08:27 PM
    Thank you so much for trying to help me with this issue, of mine, well let me start of by saying that I replaced the old manual thermostat, with a honeywell rth110b digital manual thermostat. I guess the manual saying that I would need a third wire g to route to the fan, the manual says that if its only a two wire heating (which is what I have) then the on/auto function will not work,cause right now I set the temp and it just keeps running heat and fan. It has heat_off_cool then auto/on, I guess I have to get a new thermostat, that will have two terminals that can do auto, so that way I can put it on heat and set the temp and leave it turning off and on.? hope this fills in more info for you and again thank you
    Uber Member

Jan 3, 2006, 09:02 PM
    If the furnace worked right with the old 2 wire thermostat, you should be able to use the new one. Connect the red wire to R or RH. Connect the white wire to to W or W1. Set the heat/off/cool switch to heat. Set the Auto/on switch to auto. It should now work just like the old one did. If it doesn't, it could be defective.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Fan Blower will not come on in auto [ 8 Answers ]

Blower will only come on when in "ON" position. "Auto" position will not cause it to go on. One can hear the thermostat click (basically saying its time to kick in) but the blower will not commence until I manually set it to "ON". At first, I thought it was thermostat so I replaced it with a...

Auto complete [ 2 Answers ]

Hi - I have a newer PC and have a problem with the auto complete feature - I don't want it... lol... so how do I find where it is to turn it off... I am running windows XP SP1 - thanks

No auto fan [ 2 Answers ]

My furnace has a problem. The fan will not come on in the auto position.the t-stat doesn't have any fan controls on it. The limit switches both have continuity through them. I let the burner run for a long time and nothing. If I turn the fan to on,so it runs all the time, no heat comes from the...

Auto exe. Cd's [ 1 Answers ]

Is there any way to make an auto exe. Cd's start faster?

Auto Installing [ 2 Answers ]

Is there any way to stop Windows XP from automatically installing hardware?

View more questions Search