Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    beetle03 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 7, 2008, 11:30 PM
    Cobra primary over individual plan?
    If I am still covered under employer Cobra plan and have a new individual plan, which I am the policyholder, which one will be primary ? It just happened that for one month I will have the 2 insurances. Thanks
    Grab the Brass Ring Posts: 9, Reputation: 2

Jan 13, 2008, 08:30 AM
    May I ask why you are carrying two policies for one month? I imagine you are paying 100% of the premium for both plans so is there is something covered on your group plan (COBRA) that is not covered under your individual policy? There are parameters set up to protect you as the policyholder, but I would not want you to pay for two policies that offer the same thing.

On a group basis, when you, as a COBRA participant, begin coverage on a new group insurance plan, your eligiblity under COBRA is exhausted. I am not sure if it is the same when you purchase an individaul policy.

Maybe some of the individiual health insurance experts can weigh in. My experience has shown that most people do not have both an individual and COBRA coverage due to the high costs related to having multiple programs.
    beetle03 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 14, 2008, 11:32 AM
    We wanted to change from the Cobra family coverage to a plan through my spuse's employer. So I was approved for an individual plan (which the ins agent said would be cheaper) but the other plan for parent & 2 dependents denied coverage to one dependent. So, now we still have the Cobra covering all family and my individual
    Plan (thru spuse employer) was effective this month.

Could I just cancel the individual plan and stay on Cobra longer?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 14, 2008, 11:37 AM
    COBRA is a federal law that states that when you terminate employment, you can elect to continue the coverage offered by the previous employer. You will pay the full premium for this coverage and can extend coverage for 18 months. The advantage you get from COBRA is that the premium you pay is the same the company pays. Since companies usually get a lower group rate, extending your prior coverage is generally less expensive.
    LearningAsIGo Posts: 2,653, Reputation: 350
    Survivor

Jan 14, 2008, 02:14 PM
    I could be wrong... but I'm not sure you CAN keep Cobra once you're eligible for insurance through an employer. Its meant to help cover people in short-term need.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 14, 2008, 03:16 PM
    The Cobra would most likely be the primary, since that is your insurance, and on your wife you are a dependent.

And it is not uncommom to be sure you are not out of coverage, to keep the one policy till the other is issues and you know you are covered.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cobra 148gtl-dx [ 3 Answers ]

Retired 18 wheeler looking to sell a Cobra 148gtl-dx and need to know about what the going value is? Earle

COBRA and divorce [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, my sister recently served her husband divorce papers. The next day he was fired from his job (she doesn't know why--if it was gross misconduct or what. He claims it was because he was served the papers at his office by a plain clothes police officer. No one else was around). He has...

Cobra more than once? [ 2 Answers ]

Can someone have been on Cobra continuation coverage for the maximum period of eligibility (18months), then become insured with a new employer, retire, and be eligible for a brand new 18 month period of Cobra benefit coverage under the new employer's plan?

Cobra Rates [ 11 Answers ]

I understand that cobra rates are determined in some fashion by the Plan that is in place for the Company. The rates that I have to pay for 2007 increased 20-30 percent over rates for 2006. Is this much increase possible?? Thanks

How long must one be on a group plan for COBRA eligibility? [ 3 Answers ]

Do COBRA regulations specify how long an employee must be on their specific group plan before becoming eligible for COBRA? Or is this determined by individual states? Is the COBRA benefit only available for 18 months?

View more questions Search