Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Texas Tom Posts: 46, Reputation: 4

Jan 7, 2008, 07:04 PM
    Recommendations - Bath Shower Light & Heater/Vent Fan
    I’m planning a major bathroom remodel in a 40 year-old house. The current bath has a tub/shower. I plan to remove the tub and have a walk-in tiled shower installed. I plan to remove the current built-in lavatory cabinet and use a free-standing furniture-type lavatory cabinet. The current tub/shower is tiled and the lower 4-ft of the walls are tiled. So all of the walls/tile will be stripped and new sheetrock installed. The current floor tile will be removed and new tile installed.

The current tub/shower does not have an overhead light, but I want to add one in the new shower. I want a recessed fixture with a satin/brushed stainless finish. Do you have any recommendations for a manufacturer or model number?

The current bathroom has an old-style electric heater/fan on the ceiling, but no vent fan. I plan to install a combination heater/vent fan, like the NuTone Model 605RP < Nutone Model: 605RP - Heat-A-Vent<sup>®</sup> - ValueTest<sup>®</sup> Electric Heaters > Does anyone have experience with this heater/fan or could you recommend an better alternate?

Thanks!!
    pacificradar Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jan 7, 2008, 09:01 PM
    I am currently doing my 3rd bathroom in the last couple of years, and I am no means an expert, just a do it yourselfer. But, if you plan on replacing the tile floor with new tile, you may want to consider in floor electric heat. I did not put it in my first remodel, and really kick myself! Tile is very cold. They have some really cool systems out today, and not that expensive. Most have thermostats. Google "in floor heat" to see what there is. I am putting one in the bath I am doing now, but not sure which system yet. Two sites to check are NUHEAT and SUNTECH.
    Another suggestion for the in-ceiling Nutone unit. In both my other baths, I ran the heat portion of the unit through a thermostat instead of just a switch, then if someone is in the shower or tub they won't get roasted out before they can get to the switch to shut it off! Works really well. I am not familiar with the model you mention, but Nutone is a pretty good name. I have been using BROAN units. They have light, heat and exhaust.
    As far as the recessed light for the shower, I am using a HALO recessed unit and bought a "shower" lens to put over it. It has a gasket, but is painted gloss white. Bought it at Lowe's. They may carry a stainless lens for it, I didn't look. Couldn't find a model # on it, sorry.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Jan 8, 2008, 03:43 AM
    Nutone is a fine product, along with a decent warranty.

Pacific offered some good suggestions for a bathroom.

I personally like the infrared light bulb type heaters in a bathroom. I think you feel the intense heat quicker than the resistance heater element forced by a fan.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Jan 8, 2008, 06:51 AM
    I believe Nutone/Broan is one company now, They make a VERY quiet Exhaust Fan.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bath Tub Drain Vent [ 4 Answers ]

We are installing a new shower in the first floor bath and there is no vent for the drain. We live in a three story 106 year old story house. All three floors are finished. Venting to the roof is not an option. What can we do?

Wet Vent Lav with Shower Vent [ 1 Answers ]

You mention many times that you can wet vent your shower by attaching it to your vented lav drain. Are there any problems doing it the other way around, venting your lav by attaching it to your vented shower drain?

Vent for basement bath room [ 7 Answers ]

I want to install a bath room with toilet, tub/shower and sink in my unfinished basement. There are three pipes combing from ground. But there is not vent combing down from the basement roof. Also, I have three contractors looked at my basement. I got confused with what they said. The...

View more questions Search