Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Locko2 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 7, 2008, 06:23 PM
    1995 Honda Civic won't start?
    Hi,
    my '95 Honda Civic first wouldn't start about 2 weeks ago; it had sat for 2 days in sub freezing WNY weather (less than half a tank of gas), and wouldn't start. Battery is new and was turning, so I thought it was perhaps frozen fuel lines. I added some gas and some Gas X product, and after a few minutes it started up and ran with no problems. About a week later, again after maybe 2 days of not being used, it again wouldn't start, so I added another can of Gas x (or something similar) and it started up again and ran.
    This morning it wouldn't start (and temps were about 50)so freezing is not the problem. I can hear the fuel pump humming when I turn the key, but it sounds like the engine is not getting gas. Do I need a new fuel filter, or does anyone have any other suggestions.
    Thanks! (btw the car has about 105,000 miles)
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Jan 7, 2008, 06:58 PM
    . First, try replacing the fuel filter:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/cars-t...tml#post224689

. Second, read Sections A and B below, if the problem persists:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/cars-t...das-46563.html

Jan 9, 2008, 08:45 AM
    Thanks so much for the help.

I replaced the Fuel filter this morning, and it still didn't start. (actually did start last night with no problem). I know fuel is reaching the new filter because on my first attempt at installation there was a leak.
    I emptied the contents of the old filter into a glass jar to examine it, and it was pretty dirty with a lot of water. Is the amount of water in the filter similar to the amount in the lines and the tank? If so, do I need a new tank, or can I remove it using a product?

Thanks again.
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Jan 9, 2008, 08:59 AM
    Consider attaching a suitable hose to the fuel line, turning the ignition to ON (Position II), and using the fuel pump to empty the tank into a suitable container. Keep a fire extinguisher handy.

Jan 10, 2008, 06:38 AM
    Hi again,

Haven't had the chance to do this yet. Any idea how long it will take to empty the tank (roughly 3/4 full), and another stupid question, how do you properly discard old gasoline?

Cheers.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

1995 Honda Civic will not start - but cranks [ 25 Answers ]

Good Afternoon, I have a 1995 Honda Civic that will not start. I have tested the main relay, tested for spark, and checked the main relay wiring harness. I plan on replacing the main relay regardless as the car has approximately 145,000 miles on it and it has not been replaced. The cap and rotor...

1995 Honda Civic Won't Start [ 9 Answers ]

Please help guys, let me first say that I don't really know much about cars, just a little. A few weeks ago my engine overheated because of a failed radiator. Me and my dad replaced the radiator, and discovered water was leaking into the engine, it occasionally ran a little rough on start, but...

My 1995 Honda Civic DX won't start! [ 1 Answers ]

The other night, I went to go start my Civic, and to my surprise, the engine turned over and all of the lights and gadgets came on but the engine would just not start. It just whined as if it was trying to start but just could not catch. I've tried checking the battery and even boosted it but it...

1995 civic no start [ 1 Answers ]

Got a 1995 civic won't start. Borrowed a distrubutor from another civic started the car and drove home. Cutt the engine off and try to start the car again it won't start again. I put the distrubutor that I borrow back in the original car, and it started. So I know that the distrubutor still good....

1995 honda civic 1.5 no start [ 1 Answers ]

1.5 liter engine will turn over but will not start on it's own. If you spray carb cleaner in it it will start and run great after that. You then can shut it off and it restarts fine as long as you don't wait longer then 30 min. We swapped out distributors, fuel pressure regulator, fuel relay,...

View more questions Search