Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Onewoman Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Jan 3, 2006, 03:34 AM
    XP - remove programmes from start up?
    Hi:o

I'd love to know how I can stop programmes from starting up when the computer is first switched on, as it is taking ages to load up. I have XP professional.

Hope you can help!
    manutd4eva Posts: 209, Reputation: 14

Jan 3, 2006, 03:40 AM
    Hi go to START --> RUN and type msconfig

Then click the startup tab at the top. Then deselect everything you don't want to start and press OK then you will get a message saying restart is required. It is not just press exit without restart.

Then next time you restart and logon you will see a box saying you have disabled things just check the box that says don't show this again or similar then press OK.

If you need to do it on any more porgrams in the future just repeat this.
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Jan 3, 2006, 03:41 AM
    There's a couple of ways to do this.
    1/ ** EASY ** Click Start > All Programs > StartUp and just delete the entries that you don't want to start on boot up. (May not contain what you are looking for)
    2/ ** HARDER ** Click Start > Run > Type MSCONFIG > Enter.
    Go to the last tab, labeled Start Up and uncheck the ones you don't want to start on boot up. *** Be Very CAREFUL with this as its a very powerful tool ***
    3/ There are other ways, Spybot has this functionality builtin to its Advanced tools and there are third party programs that also do the same.

Hope this helps
    manutd4eva Posts: 209, Reputation: 14

Jan 3, 2006, 03:43 AM
    True but 3/4 of things on my computer are in the registry so you need msconfig or spybot or manually delete them yourself as I do.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Jan 3, 2006, 06:13 AM
    Remove startup items
    Hi,
    I would suggest using the Start/Run , then type in the MSCONFIG method.
    Click on the StartUp tab, and look to the left, scroll down, and see everything starting up when you boot up the computer.
    You can left click on anything, (such as Auto Updates), or anything you see that you might not want starting up. That removes the checkmark.
    Then click on Apply, and OK. Re-boot.
    If you have unchecked something you really need, you can always go back and recheck it.
    I know this answer has already been addressed, but try it.
    Later, if you wish to know how to Edit the Registry, and remove any entries from there as well, please post back. Unchecking something in the StartUp tab stops it from starting up on boot up. And, if you find you aren't going to ever use it, it can then be removed from the Registery as well.
    Best of luck.
    Onewoman Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Jan 10, 2006, 05:48 AM
    Thanks so much for your replies. DId as you suggested and computer is loads more quick now. Thanks again!:D
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Jan 10, 2006, 05:53 AM
    Excellent, I'm so glad we could help.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Help remove old scars? [ 17 Answers ]

I have this old scar on my leg since I was little.. I won't wear shorts or anything that will show my legs beacause of the scars.I've tired to cover it up with makeup but it doesn't look right cause my legs are so light.. can anyone suggest anything?:(

Add/Remove Programs doesn't have REMOVE option [ 4 Answers ]

In Control Panel | Add/Remove Programs on Windows XP Home, some of the programs do not have the REMOVE button below them. WHY not? How do I remove programs from the Add or Remove Function, when it displays the program, but when I highlight it, it doesn't give the option to REMOVE it?

Help me remove this thing [ 1 Answers ]

Hie everyone, Someone has installed a pool game from Yahoo games on my PC. When I went to the control panel in add/remove to get rid of it, it didn't show up as one of the programs. Please help, how do I remove this?

How to remove HAXDOOR-H? [ 2 Answers ]

It shows up in my spybot search and destroy. When I go to my security tab in ignore products it shows this trojan. Do I need to worry about it? Shouldn't I remove it? If so can anyone give me some direction? Don

Remove log in screen at W98 start [ 1 Answers ]

When W98 starts up there is that annoying, useless sign screen, I know there is a way to remove that , because I had removed before years ago, but I forgot how, does somebody know?

View more questions Search