Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    calimus Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 7, 2008, 11:29 AM
    Federal lien on property already in defualt to seller
    I owe $17,000 in back federal taxes. I just had to quit my job for medical reasons, my wage had been attached. I am 6 months behind on payments to the owner of the property. There had been discussion already about them taking the property back. When we were ready to move out and move to a different part of the country, the lien was discovered. Can the government force me to keep the property and not be able to relocate to find work. There is no advantage to my keeping or allowing the property to go back.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 7, 2008, 11:41 AM
    You say you are "6 months behind on payments to the owner of the property". But you must be the owner of the property otherwise the IRS could not place a lien on it. If you were buying it under a contract for sale, then it would not have been transferred to your name until you fulfilled the contract.

So you must have gotten a mortgage. Therefore, you have to sell the property or have it foreclosed on. If you sell, then the IRS wikk take their cut from the sale. If you let it foreclose, then IRS might have to take a subservient position to the mortgage lien holder.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 7, 2008, 07:24 PM
    The first lien holder is just that: FIRST lien holder. If the property is foreclosed on, the IRS will get their money AFTER the first mortgage is satisfied.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Does non-ownership by Seller of a property constitute nullilty of purchase contract? [ 1 Answers ]

Major builder/seller sells lots for houses to be built upon. Seller's agent presented four Lots from which Buyer was to choose. Buyer chose a lot, house was built, deal when through escrow, warranty deed, title policy, survey, etc. Six months later, Buyer found Out from Tax collector that he...

Old Lien on Property [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I have a lien which showed up on my property from a previous owner. The lien should have been settled in 1987. It doesn't show up as discharged at the county clerks office either. My attorney isn't really putting effort into getting it removed. How can I find out more information so I...

Property taxes/lien on property [ 2 Answers ]

We have been taking care of the rental properties across the street from us for many years as the landlord lives in Arkansas. We have never been paid for these services. We repair and maintain these properties, and the last tenants we even collected the rent and deposited into the landlord’s...

View more questions Search